Recalled/Assigned: Nathan Beaulieu sent down to Hamilton (April 18th, 2013)

Analyzer*

I didn't see him nor concentrated on him this year, does seem that he struggled. But he was really fine when he was called up last year. Nothing extraordinairy, I know. Not a big loss at the NHL level. My point was more about how we need to be better in the farm. This BS about learning despite the record is just that...BS. We have to be better next year. We have to improve and improve in a better atmosphere than a losing one. So St-Denis, at the AHL level, was still a vet. You need vets in this league too. So lose St-Denis all you want. But go get 1 or 2 vets to play as a D EVEN if it means sending 1 or 2 kids in Wheeling. They'd learn more to play there often than to be healthy scratch in Hamilton or to play on such a young squad that they again don't win that much next year as well.

That's why I mean by losing him will suck. He is a veteran and could help out, but even at the AHL level he isn't the best choice.

Not a dman, but the best choice would be Alexandre Giroux. Guy is tremendously skilled, and a veteran. He'll help the team win and help them learn.

Unfortunately he's unsigned so he might be a bit rusty, but a dman the habs should look at would be Brad Lukowich.

He's older (36), but he might take the opportunity to play in the A with some great young players, be a leader and help develop. Sure, Lukowich wasn't the best dman, but he has 658 games played. Dogs should have room for 1 veteran dman at least.

Another veteran the habs should target is Ryan Hamilton. I doubt Toronto lets him walk, but if they do. Sign him.

Lastly if we can deal Weber out west for a AHL veteran I'd do it.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Therrien should really hate Weber.
I understand Kaberle situation, because if he's injured then we can't buy him out in the summer, therefore it's better not to take that risk.
But why hasn't Therrien played Weber ? He's still hurt ?

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Therrien should really hate Weber.
I understand Kaberle situation, because if he's injured then we can't buy him out in the summer, therefore it's better not to take that risk.
But why hasn't Therrien played Weber ? He's still hurt ?

honestly, beaulieu is just better.

niftymove

Jul 13, 2010
I understand Kaberle does'nt play because they need a healthy Kaberle this summer if they want to buyout him, but Weber...

That should have been Weber chance to get in the line-up. Cause, if he is not in the Habs plan, why not have traded him before end of trade day.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
NB over Tinordi, interesting...

As for Weber, gotta feel bad for the guy, the Habs will surely trade him at the draft this year...let him have a chance somewhere else...

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
I understand Kaberle does'nt play because they need a healthy Kaberle this summer if they want to buyout him, but Weber...

That should have been Weber chance to get in the line-up. Cause, if he is not in the Habs plan, why not have traded him before end of trade day.

Give Weber a chance to do what, exactly. His game never translated to the nhl level. Too small, too soft and doesnt put up the numbers. Ive been saying for 2 years how i cant believe he's still in north america.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I would like to see Weber get some time. He was up and down last year and I'd like to see how he fits the system. A conditioning stint would be good as well to give him a chance.

Beaulieu looked a bit better than Tinordi but I wonder if he was called up because he got less games before? He should be better for the experience plus the time in Hamilton after. Tinordi and Beaulieu have had strong AHL games since their time in the NHL. It is encouraging that they are good AHL/borderline NHL players after a year (or year and change for Tinordi) in pro hockey.

And they have to make room for Dietz among others in Hamilton. Prospect logjam.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Interesting decision. Many thought it would be Tinordi getting called up, myself included.

Nate was pretty good in his two games so it makes sense he gets another look, I'd probably feel safer with JT in a playoff series though.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
I expected Beaulieu to be called up ahead of Tinordi. I feel as though Tinordi's game is one that you really have to learn at the pro level before jumping into the NHL, whereas Beaulieu is more offensive, and can still be serviceable.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Nate is 6ft2 so its not like he's another smurf out there. And perhaps the gap isn't too big right now since Tinordi wasn't really any more physical than him. Add in Nate's offence and our desperate need to improve our #2PP pairing, it seems like the right decision.

I think Drewiske could prosper like many have with Markov, while Markov usually benefits from a bigger partner. Drew could be the gorges to Markov's subban. Not that bad a band-aid IMO.

Finally, Beaulieu will fit nicely with Boullion, since Boullion has enough puck moving skills to work with him on the breakouts and the Ozone. I think Beaulieu might be challenged playing consistent NHL minutes and possibly playing those minutes in the playoffs, but he'll still be a bottom pairing guy, it will be a lot less pressure than when Subban came in as a rookie and had to be a shutdown guy. I have confidence in MT to protect and nurture Beaulieu properly.

LeMAD

Mar 1, 2006
Montreal
lemad.freehostia.com
True, but aren't you sick of seeing Gorges and Cube on the pp ?

Yeah, that's a pretty strong argument...

I'm fine with Bouillon on the PP, but paired with Gorges it hurts. And I really like Gorges, but twice last night I was shouting at the TV because when there's a delayed offside in the offensive zone, he immediately shoots the puck in the zone instead of waiting for his teammates to get out of it. Which gives the other team the time for line change and to get out of their zone easilly.

Mats NAslund

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Indifferent to this call up, I liked what all three D-man brought to the table in their time with the Habs.
Beaulieu doesn't play huge but is a big body at 6'3 191 as per HOCKEYDB.COM and skates very well.

HOPEFULLY this might mean the end of Boullion and Gorges on the PP!

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
It didnt really matter to me who got called up......Beaulieu or Tinordi.....they are both going to be great habs one day.

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
I get the feeling that when some of you say 'I want Tinordi instead' you mean that you want the style of player Tinordi will become and not necessarily Tinordi as he is right now. Patience mes amis.

I agree that we need a Tinordi type moreso than a beaulieu type but I've seen Tinordi play in Hamilton and you can bet that if the Dogs were playoff bound that's likely where they would keep him. He still needs a bit more seasoning IMO.

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011

Because no-one wanted him?

Weber's played over 100 games in the NHL in the past two seasons, the idea that he hasn't been given 'a chance' doesn't hold water.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
I don't really understand how MB can ask for a 2nd for Weber when the organization doesn't even trust him to play over an rookie (albeit a good one) like Beaulieu.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Really happy about this

bergevin opted to bring in beaulieus speed and offensive prowess, ..will only help our team, welcome back Nate!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad