Recalled/Assigned: Nathan Beaulieu sent down to Hamilton (April 18th, 2013)

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
If Emelin is out longterm, Beaulieu plays well and Diaz Returns, could we see (on the PP):

Markov-Subban
Beaulieu-Diaz

Boullion is MTs favourite but he also plays people who earn their icetime. If Beaulieu turns out to be good enough to really improve the 2nd PP wave, then maybe Boullion could sit. Leaving us with:

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Drewiske
Beaulieu-Diaz
Boullion

Thoughts?

Mats NAslund

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I get that Beaulieu will help our 2nd PP unit, but Emelin wasn't playing on the PP (God knows why!) and was a regular fixture on our PK so that's why I expected Tinordi to get the call, so he could take some of the PK time that we lost with Emelin.

Anyyway, let's just hope that at least one of Emelin and Diaz will come back soon. I'd rather not start the playoffs with a rookie D, be it Beaulieu or Tinordi.

I think Drewiskie will fill that role on the PK
Big guy with a good reach who plays a solid stay home game and blocks shots.
Nothing flashy but that's what you want on the PK

Mats NAslund

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
If Emelin is out longterm, Beaulieu plays well and Diaz Returns, could we see (on the PP):

Markov-Subban
Beaulieu-Diaz

Boullion is MTs favourite but he also plays people who earn their icetime. If Beaulieu turns out to be good enough to really improve the 2nd PP wave, then maybe Boullion could sit. Leaving us with:

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Drewiske
Beaulieu-Diaz
Boullion

Thoughts?

I don't see this happening especially since Boullion was re-signed for another year.
I think Boullion is locked for the number 6 spot (this year for sure)

Drewiske and Weber are UFA and RFa's next year and Kaberle will be shown the door.

Which leaves Montreal with

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Boullion-Diaz
As the top six and Tinordi and Beaulieu rounding out the 7 8 spots

GeneralMarky79

Sep 25, 2007
PEI
Tinordi isn't a very physical d-man, sure he can dish ou the big hits once in a while but he's mostly a guy who uses his stick and long reach.
your right but with guys that are that size most of them arent big hitters. look at chara. he can be a big hitter but hes more effective at using his stick when he needs to

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I don't see this happening especially since Boullion was re-signed for another year.
I think Boullion is locked for the number 6 spot (this year for sure)

Drewiske and Weber are UFA and RFa's next year and Kaberle will be shown the door.

Which leaves Montreal with

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Boullion-Diaz
As the top six and Tinordi and Beaulieu rounding out the 7 8 spots

Its just as possible that Boullion was re-signed knowing he could be in the press box next year. As for this year, I think he won't go to the press box but Beaulieu could force him if he plays well and Diaz returns

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I think Beaulieu fits our style better because he can pinch and recover. All our Ds have to be able to skate or anticipate.

I think Nathan got the call simply because he has had only two games, while Tinordi had six, and the brass still want to see more of him before they decide on a pecking order for the playoffs.

NewHabsEra*

Umm no, the obvious call-up was Tinordi by a fair margin. Habs D squad becomes way less physical with the loss of Emelin and Tinordi is the only one that can replace that aspect.

That being said, having Beaulieu on the 2nd pp wave will give us a major boost for sure .

Emelin's physicality wont be replaced by Tinordi yet, so you have to call the best overall defenseman in that case and IMO Beaulieu is the most NHL ready despite still being raw and having room for improvement defensively.. At least Beaulieu can keep up with the NHL speed, what Tinordi and Pateryn cant right now.. Therrien made a good job to prevent Tinordi to get exposed but you clearly saw the kid was struggling with his decision making when the pressing was too intense, Tinordi will never be known for his puckmoving skills but he has to be more solid handling the puck and spend more time in the AHL working on that part of his game.. On the other side, I really liked Beaulieu when called up, I think he is a kid we can work with right now in the NHL..

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I really like Beaulieu being called up; rookie tentativeness doesn't exist in his game. He wants to try things out there and make an impact rather than play it safe. Yes, that can lead to more mistakes and defensive breakdowns sometimes but it can also lead to more scoring chances/great things... High risk/high reward. Plus Frankie has been great in covering for the revolving door that has been his D partner lately.

With that said, I think Diaz gets back and draws in his spot for the playoffs. If Emelin isn't hurt bad and can make it back, DD2 sits in his spot.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

Markov-Subban
Beaulieu-Diaz

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Drewiske
Beaulieu-Diaz
Boullion

Thoughts?

No way.

Beaulieu will eventually be better than Boullion. He is not there yet. Not even close.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I really like Beaulieu being called up; rookie tentativeness doesn't exist in his game. He wants to try things out there and make an impact rather than play it safe. Yes, that can lead to more mistakes and defensive breakdowns sometimes but it can also lead to more scoring chances/great things... High risk/high reward. Plus Frankie has been great in covering for the revolving door that has been his D partner lately.

With that said, I think Diaz gets back and draws in his spot for the playoffs. If Emelin isn't hurt bad and can make it back, DD2 sits in his spot.

I see the high risk, but don't see the high reward with Beaulieu right now. And I say this as a HUGE Beaulieu fan who thinks his ceiling could be 70 pts and possible Norris nominations. But that day is nowhere near yet, and a pace of say 15-20 points (1 in 4 or 5 games) is not really "high reward" for me.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
No way.

Beaulieu will eventually be better than Boullion. He is not there yet. Not even close.

You're too young to remember Chelios as a rookie. I'm not saying NB is Chelios of course, but he's ****ing talented, and FAST. In his skating, and passing. I am really pleased with the call up, and very pleased at NB's development this year.

NB looks NHL ready next year.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I think Nathan got the call simply because he has had only two games, while Tinordi had six, and the brass still want to see more of him before they decide on a pecking order for the playoffs.

No, he got called up because he was effective and active in his games with Habs.

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009
Beaulieu practicing with Bouillon this morning, Drewiske with Markov. Makes sense.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
If he sticks long term, he'd be the 9th youngest player in the NHL right now (3rd youngest D behind Brodin and Hamilton).

Last 13 games in the AHL:
3 goals
9 assists
12 points
+6

Would be pretty awesome if he can pull a 09/10 Subban in the playoffs.

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
he will sit because they cant risk him getting hurt for the buyout

Although I understand why this is a consideration, I can't see why
it's very important now. The chance that he suffers a injury ,serious
enough to affect the buy-out isn't that great. And more important, his
contract is for only one more year. That's not a disaster for the club.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
Although I understand why this is a consideration, I can't see why
it's very important now. The chance that he suffers a injury ,serious
enough to affect the buy-out isn't that great. And more important, his
contract is for only one more year. That's not a disaster for the club.

He hasn't played for a while. Having an energic, hungry Beaulieu on the team is better than a decrepit Kaberle.

Besides we can afford to play a rookie and live with the mistakes seeing were we are in the standings.

As for the buyout it can make a serious difference if Bergevin intends to do a trade or sign a free agent. Kaberle has a substantial cap hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad