Confirmed with Link: Nate Schmidt to winnipeg for 2022 3RD

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Josh was great in the Edmonton series, but not in the Montreal series.
He did an okay job of not getting completely destroyed by McDavid, but his pair was thoroughly out-chanced.

I'm not giving all of the credit to Morrissey though.

Playing with DeMelo was likely a big piece of that and Hellebuyck deserves the bulk of the credit - because he was lights out and tricked a the masses into thinking the Jets played well.

Reactions: kellhunter

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Schmidt seems more like a football player in terms on how he conducts interviews. Came off as a Spitten chickets segment without the profanity.:D Very animated. Seems likes he will be a loud influence in the room.

schmockeyknife

Apr 7, 2021
The best part about bringing in Schmidt is now our entire starting six D core is full of competent defensemen. Assuming Beaulieu rides the pine, then we have no one who requires babysitting anymore:

Morrissey Schmidt
Dillon Pionk
Stanley DeMelo

All six are capable defenders, we no longer have to drag down folks like Morrissey by requiring them to carry garbage around. If Heinola is next man up ahead of Beaulieu, all the better. He might need some rookie insulating, but we have the horses to do that now and I think Heinola is good enough he doesn’t really need to be “propped up.”

No superstars, but having six guys (seven with Heinola) who know wtf they are doing is a HUGE improvement for us.

If Schmidt finds his Vegas form, so much the better.

Excited for the season to start!
"bolio riding pine" has such a nice ring to it

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He did an okay job of not getting completely destroyed by McDavid, but his pair was thoroughly out-chanced.

I'm not giving all of the credit to Morrissey though.

Playing with DeMelo was likely a big piece of that and Hellebuyck deserves the bulk of the credit - because he was lights out and tricked a the masses into thinking the Jets played well.

Going against two top 3 players (One a generational player) on a line is going to lead to any pairing being outchanced especially when a good amount of that was playing behind the Scheifele line.

They did about as good a job as could be reasonably expected imo.

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
This is a great video demonstrating Nates Athletic ability. He's gonna have a bounce back year.

Moreover, he'll be a nightmare for the VGK when we meet in the playoffs this year.

Hopefully Brossoit's in net that series.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Great interview, he said a lot of good things. I agree, this D group is looking great - I think it's better to have fewer weaknesses vs not having an elite #1...

I think he'll bring some much needed positive energy to the locker room - he seems more relaxed than our current leadership, and I think you benefit from a mix of energy. He seems like a guy that could help ease the pressure in a tense game.

Good to hear he wants to be here - Go Jets!

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
His personality is like 1000 percent opposite of Morrissey. Not saying that's a bad thing. Right now I'm just having a hard time seeing how a random conversation between them would go. :D

I'm thinking Scheifele can lead them in gently with a few hundred reps of "Ya know," which seems to be the pro hockeyeur's version of five year-olds hailing their peers with "I'm X and I'm five."

Reactions: larmex99

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
LOL! Either your showing your age or some "old" person told you about the party line and how your neighbours like to listen in on your phone calls. What was your ring code? :)

Ours was 1 long, 1 short, 1 long.

I'm kinda old, and remember it at my grandparents cottage. No idea what code was bu everyone had super loud ringers to be able to hear it when down at the water.

Last edited:
Reactions: libertarian

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Here's a taste on how it will feel to be a teammate of Nate Schmidt:

Funny, ready the Nucks board, word was he had a hard time mixing with the team and never really got in with their group.

That could be from the COVID isolation but weird that a team would not welcome this type of energy on and off the ice. Probably says more about the Nucks dressing room than it does about Nate

Reactions: Jets 31

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Funny, ready the Nucks board, word was he had a hard time mixing with the team and never really got in with their group.

That could be from the COVID isolation but weird that a team would not welcome this type of energy on and off the ice. Probably says more about the Nucks dressing room than it does about Nate

I just hope its not another P.K Subban situation.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

While I agree that the line between prankster livewire and toxic irritant can be thin, I don't get the impression from anything I've read that Nate's divided any locker-room he's been in, although the Minnesota/ Elsewhere ratio seems definitely out of whack.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Another point from the interview - am I correct in hearing that there were multiple offers yesterday that he had to think through?

And it sounds like he spoke to more guys than just Stats (he mentioned he spoke to Eakins, and maybe Reaves). That was from the question about that/who he knows in Wpg. But Stats was the one that convinced him (reading between the lines).

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming

Seems more likely to be a why did we only get a 3rd in return for him talk. I really don't buy it. But he's a Minnesota boy so... maybe big city Vancouver wasn't a good fit. Seems like a country boy especially with his dune buggy love and hunting and fishing love. Winnipeg offers that and it's close to minny

Reactions: Jetsfan79

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Liked the interview. Nate seems like one of those personalities that is hard not to love. Really excited to see how this crew performs. We have been tortured the last two years. We have the potential to have something special again.

BTW, I am pretty sure that Nate's interview triggers another auto extension of Maurice's contract for another 3 decades.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Liked the interview. Nate seems like one of those personalities that is hard not to love. Really excited to see how this crew performs. We have been tortured the last two years. We have the potential to have something special again.

BTW, I am pretty sure that Nate's interview triggers another auto extension of Maurice's contract for another 3 decades.

Well, there's that. At this point in time I view Maurice as a bricks-and-mortar feature of the org, built-in to the CanadaLife Arena -- kinda like a modern Max Headroom, a scaled-down, folksy screen-in-screen of the Jumbotron that can spout homilies and do regular media availability.

I'm pretty sure he now comes with the lease.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I'm really quite happy with what Chevy has gotten done.
Many of us were prepared for no real help being brought in outside of some bad end of summer below replacement vet who couldn't get a contract elsewhere.

To add two top 4 defensemen for two seconds and a third is beyond what we could have hoped. These two guys really seem well suited to compliment Josh and Pionk. We even have some insulation from injuries with quality prospects in Heinola & Samberg.

The only hole in the plan is if Dillon or Stanley are the injured guy then it's likely Boo Boo who gets the call. But hopefully Samberg can surpass him as the PK option ASAP.

If PLD finds his game we will be a scary team to play against.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Schmidt was dreadful, so I was a bit concerned with this deal, but I like what he is saying right now. Maybe there is hope for this guy.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Stastny apparently called him and talked him into waiving his NTC and coming over. Sold him on the identity and direction of the team. Which is a pretty great thing considering he's only signed for 1 year. Stats is putting in work already and the ink hasn't even dried on his new deal.

Stast realised that if he wants to win, he'll need to recruit some talent :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad