Post-Game Talk: Nashville 3 Oilers 0

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Went back to the watch the play.
Are you kidding me? This is such a bad take ffs. That goal had nothing to do with Puljus missed shot.
Of course it does. If the coach gives you your one and only chance to start the power-play, you don't carry the puck into the zone and then whip a 40-foot wrister four feet wide of the net.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I thought he used his first chance pretty well (the occasioanal top6 shifts in one game). Last game was basically shifting from a line to another, so I wanted to see how he does in a full game in a solid line in top6. A shame he couldn't do better, but I'd still like to see more games in that position as he's not the first winger to struggle in the 2nd line this season. After a couple of or a few more games I'd also be ready to make more conclusions.
My issue is the mistakes he is making have had nothing to do with his linemates. Terrible shooting ideas, terrible decision making and low effort.

He really needs to find a way to get it together. Todds finally giving him a chance and he is doing everything in his power to make Todd regret it.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Again, I and others are talking about a larger scale issue, not just tonight. Did you see the numbers I posted in my 1st post in this thread? Did you hear what Katz had to say about the team? You don't understand why some concern is to be had?

I understand that some people are overlapping last season on to this season.
They can do that if they want but that doesn't mean I have to accept that narrative.

I am treating this season as a new entity and I have gone over why in many posts before the season started.
So no...I am not going to get overly dramatic after 6 games especially after losing to an excellent veteran team like the Predators.

OilCountry93

Jul 2, 2014
I think Yakupov is a better player than Pululjujarvi ATM. What a brutal pick (again). The puck dies on his stick constantly, he is constantly standing still, he has no idea where to go, he rarely makes a decent pass.

This kid really needs to go spend the year in Bakersfield.

Just wait until Chiarelli trades him for a bottom 2 defenseman and he goes and wins the Rocket Richard with his new team. Just add him to the list: Dubnyk, Schultz, Hall ...

Reactions: Duke74

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I don't understand why people are knocking Draisaitl. He is the 2nd-best forward on the team, and has been good this season. If everyone on the 2nd/3rd played like him, the Oilers would be 5-1 now. But nobody else can score.

The only thing I would say about Draisaitl's game is that he is sometimes a tad predictable. When he gets the puck (I mean when he's not shooting a one-timer), he tends to slow down too much and drag the play out. Sometimes it works, but I think he needs to mix it up more. Defences learn quickly that they can wait for Drai to make the first move, 'cause he's never going to do a super-fast play.

Actually, Draisaitl looked amazing late last season in tandem with Ethan Bear on the PP. Naturally, then, McLellan thinks Benning is the one to play.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
That was a 2-0 game (+ an empty netter) that could have easily been a tied game. Their effort against Nashville tonight was good IMO.

They lost to a better more experienced team that was executing at a very high level. I have no issue with that especially considering their schedule.

They werent going to win every game in this home stand.

See THATS the problem. Their EFFORT was there. Actually their effort at the beginning of last year was ALSO there in spades. The problem with this team is, no amount of EFFORT is going to make them not miss passes, miss nets, bobble pucks, lose possession etc etc. You can't out effort your way of not having the requisite TALENT and SKILL LEVEL to be a good team. This team doesn't have it. They're JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

I said it last year and I'll say it again. It's a personnel problem. Our D isn't good. Our forwards aren't good. Can't coach or effort your way out of a lack of talent. This year will continue to prove that.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

LJellySlam

Dec 30, 2017
I think you go with this until rattie comes back:

Drai - McD - JP
Looch - Nuge - Yamo

Better to have a one line team rather than a one man team.... Plus something needs to give on that second line. Let's use our "centre depth" to our advantage and shake things up while rattie is out.

Reactions: MikeGrier99

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Nashville is a SC contender. I expected them to win and called it before the game. Oilers played as well as they can and held their own for half the game. They still are clumsy on the breakout and possession. After for one line and in spurts, this is not a very cohesive team. Nashville OTHO skated circles around the Oilers and pass very quickly. Wish the Oilers as a whole did that. Team is just average. Hope they can replace or improve the players who are causing the most problems.

Half the team is low on talent and even the stars make mistakes like Drisatl and Larsson.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
They can do that if they want but that doesn't mean I have to accept that narrative.

I am treating this season as a new entity and I have gone over why in many posts before the season started.
So no...I am not going to get overly dramatic after 6 games.
Do you know why people talk about last season so much?

Because this team is essentially the same as last season. No major upgrades whatsoever and another shiny rookie in the lineup.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Wonder if they’ll give Marody or Benson a look for a spark of offense in the bottom 6.

Marody has 6 points in 5 games and Benson has 5 points in 5 games.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Thay can do that if they want but that doesn't mean I have to accept that narrative.

So no...I am not going to get overly dramatic after 6 games.

The numbers I posted are from this season. I didn't say a word about last season.
Quite honestly, this team would be done if it wasn't for McDavid. No team is as anemic as the Oilers are without McDavid and I'd wager I guess that it's not even close. Somebody, anybody, needs to start doing something when McDavid is off the ice. 6 games isn't such a small sample size anymore, some concern should be had. One guy is doing everything for the team, that's not a blueprint for future success.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
See THATS the problem. Their EFFORT was there. Actually their effort at the beginning of last year was ALSO there in spades. The problem with this team is, no amount of EFFORT is going to make them not miss passes, miss nets, bobble pucks, lose possession etc etc. You can't out effort your way of not having the requisite TALENT and SKILL LEVEL to be a good team. This team doesn't have it. They're JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

I said it last year and I'll say it again. It's a personnel problem. Our D isn't good. Our forwards aren't good. Can't coach or effort your way out of a lack of talent. This year will continue to prove that.

You are entitled to react like this.

I dont share your perspective at all.
As I said a week ago it takes time to adjust to a new coaching staff and new systems. After 6 games I see some positive signs.

The sky is not falling IMO.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think you go with this until rattie comes back:

Drai - McD - JP
Looch - Nuge - Yamo

Better to have a one line team rather than a one man team.... Plus something needs to give on that second line. Let's use our "centre depth" to our advantage and shake things up while rattie is out.
With the way Pulju and Draisaitl have been playing, I think that line slows McD down.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Nobody reasonable faults the Oilers for losing to an awesome team (Nashville). But how about scoring one measly goal, on home-ice, against a tired club playing the latter game of a back-to-back? Is that too much to expect after 400 years of the rebuild?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I defend JP a lot. I thought he needed more opportunity and more ice time but he really makes some poor decisions out there. TM is giving him ice time but he isn’t taking advantage of it. Hes so soft with the puck.

The Oilers passing was off all night, and as a result they couldn’t break the preds system. Nashville is just a better team. The Oilers couldn’t do much.

I thought Kassian had a pretty good night.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Not remotely comparable scenarios but alright.

Yeh the comparable will be Brossoit once he shows that he's an elite backup this year behind a REAL NHL Defence in Winnipeg. Then the Oilers will have another talent slip away because management can't seem to comprehend that Goalies play bad behind AHL defenses.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The numbers I posted are from this season. I didn't say a word about last season.
Quite honestly, this team would be done if it wasn't for McDavid. No team is as anemic as the Oilers are without McDavid and I'd wager I guess that it's not even close. Somebody, anybody, needs to start doing something when McDavid is off the ice. 6 games isn't such a small sample size anymore, some concern should be had.

I am not suggesting that you shouldn't be concerned. i am however suggesting that its to early to judge the team.

Disagree if you like...thats fine.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yeh the comparable will be Brossoit once he shows that he's an elite backup this year behind a REAL NHL Defence in Winnipeg. Then the Oilers will have another talent slip away because management can't seem to comprehend that Goalies play bad behind AHL defenses.
Brossoits biggest issues was consistency. Also if I remember right, you wanted Brossoit kicked to the curb too...

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I am not suggesting that you shouldn't be concerned. i am however suggesting that its to early to judge the team.

Disagree if you like...thats fine.
There's nothing good about getting shut out at home by a team playing it's second game in two nights, especially when many of their so-called "best players" didn't look very good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad