Post-Game Talk: Nashville 3 Oilers 0

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
What's overstated?

That was a 2-0 game (+ an empty netter) that could have easily been a tied game. Their effort against Nashville tonight was good IMO.

They lost to a better more experienced team that was executing at a very high level. I have no issue with that especially considering their schedule.

They werent going to win every game in this home stand.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I think Kassian had a really good game

Kassian was one of the only players that did.

Bouchard as well. He won't be sent down this year, right or wrong. Few of the only chances were from him getting pucks through the clogging defensive play of Snoozeville.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Overstating things a tad but Okay.

How so? The Oilers haven't scored at all (almost litertally) when McDavid is off the ice, the blueline creates no offense, Talbot hasn't been particularly good outside of a few stretches and they've played maybe 5 really good or even just good periods all season? It's still only 6 games but there is plenty to be concerned about this team, even the owner thinks so.

As I said in the GDT, the issues extend beyond just this game. 3-3 is extremely flattering to this team.

Reactions: Aerrol

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Remember that time we drafted puljujarvi instead of Tkachuk or Sergachev? I know hindsight is 20/20... but damn

I think Yakupov is a better player than Pululjujarvi ATM. What a brutal pick (again). The puck dies on his stick constantly, he is constantly standing still, he has no idea where to go, he rarely makes a decent pass.

This kid really needs to go spend the year in Bakersfield.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
How so? The Oilers haven't scored at all (almost litertally) when McDavid is off the ice, the blueline creates no offense, Talbot hasn't been particularly good outside of a few stretches and they've played maybe 5 really good periods all season? It's still only 6 games but there is plenty to be concerned about this team, even the owner thinks so.
Not to mention our "prized" #4 pick a few years ago really hasn't looked like an NHLer this season.

This team has even LESS secondary offense than last year.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I know it works for them, but damn do Nashville play a boring game.
They're playing on the road, the second game of back-to-backs in a different time-zone from their home rink. They were absolutely awesome! That is a machine of a team, well-coached, with incredible 5-man defence, and an amazing D-man in Subban -- holy crap, he's a good player.

Full marks to Nashville for the win, which they deserved. But how the hell does Edmonton create so few scoring chances against what should be a tired team? A bit worrisome.

Reactions: Aerrol

sundaysleftovers

Feb 28, 2013
Saskatchewan
I mean last year and stuff it was debatable but Todd has been giving Pulju good chances this year after a good preseason and he hasn't been good with them at all.

Exactly, ripping a shot wide on the pp. As someone mentioned in the GDT he skated towards drai when if he skated right and took a pass he would have been gone on a breakaway. I saw that and thought what the heck are you doing. Also last game he passed into the slot right to a bruin.

He might be nervous out there due to coaching and not wanting to be benched.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Remember that time we drafted puljujarvi instead of Tkachuk or Sergachev? I know hindsight is 20/20... but damn

i remember thinking the oil were seemingly high on tkachuk and i was happy at the thought that we'd get him but was devastated when i came out of a meeting to find out the oil drafted pooly.

Reactions: Proko88

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
How so? The Oilers haven't scored at all (almost litertally) when McDavid is off the ice, the blueline creates no offense, Talbot hasn't been particularly good outside of a few stretches and they've played maybe 5 really good or even just good periods all season? It's still only 6 games but there is plenty to be concerned about this team, even the owner thinks so.

As I said in the GDT, the issues extend beyond just this game. 3-3 is extremely flattering to this team.

I detailed this in post #51.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
We really need Drai and Puju to step up, both need to be more engaged. Would be nice though if Strome’s line or Brodziak’s line would chip in a goal once in a while.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
The margin for error (for Edm) in a game like this was always going to by tiny. Still, they could have got at least a point out of this one if not for the bone-headed combination of McLellan and Puljujarvi. Todd put out Puljujarvi and Khaira (and Bouchard, a rookie) for the power-play with 5 minutes left in the second in a scoreless game. Puljujarvi makes a bone-headed blue-line whiff shot that misses by a mile, and Nashville scores right after. Puljujarvi can't hit the net or make an intelligent hockey-play to save his life, and McLellan chooses late in the second period, in a tie game against maybe the best team in hockey, to "teach the guys a lesson". WTF?

If not for that epic-stupid coaching decision, this may have gone to overtime. One thing we know about the Oilers is that if they give up the first goal against at home, they're usually done.

Went back to the watch the play.
Are you kidding me? This is such a bad take ffs. That goal had nothing to do with Puljus missed shot.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
I think the best Oilers tonight were Kassian, Bouchard, Yamamoto and Talbot
Particularly poor games from Nuge, Klefbom, Larsson, Puljujarvi, Khaira, Strome and Brodziak.
Meh from the rest.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I mean last year and stuff it was debatable but Todd has been giving Pulju good chances this year after a good preseason and he hasn't been good with them at all.

I thought he used his first chance pretty well (the occasioanal top6 shifts in one game). Last game was basically shifting from a line to another, so I wanted to see how he does in a full game in a solid line in top6. A shame he couldn't do better, but I'd still like to see more games in that position as he's not the first winger to struggle in the 2nd line this season. After a couple of or a few more games I'd also be ready to make more conclusions.

Reactions: PulYou

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I detailed this in post #51.

Again, I and others are talking about a larger scale issue, not just tonight. Did you see the numbers I posted in my 1st post in this thread? Did you hear what Katz had to say about the team? You don't understand why some concern is to be had?

Reactions: PulYou

SourOil

Oct 3, 2008
Went back to the watch the play.
Are you kidding me? This is such a bad take ffs. That goal had nothing to do with Puljus missed shot.
Agree. But it's a low percentage shot to take in that situation. At least that's how i saw it.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Some of TMac decisions drive me crazy but others are pretty good.

Maybe its the new coaches. LOL

Good putting Bouch out there on the PP. I think they are handling him well.

Surprised to see Jesse out there in the end. Though he would have been benched. Let's hope they give him more rope and hope he doesn't hang himself.

Kassian is infuriating. Our bottom 5 is bad but I still have faith.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
We really need Drai and Puju to step up, both need to be more engaged. Would be nice though if Strome’s line or Brodziak’s line would chip in a goal once in a while.

I agree.

One of the biggest issues right now IMO is the absolute lack of secondary scoring. I put most of the blame on Draisaitl for that but players like Jesse, Rieder, Brodziak, (et al) have to be better than they have been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->