Names for new Seattle team

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
*in your opinion
The color scheme is nice. Stripped hockey jerseys are just an eyesore and that's just a fact.
012562378250100.jpg

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
Don’t know if this has been asked, but wouldn’t the Cougars be trademarked by Prince George and same goes for Flint? Wasn’t this the reason for Vegas not getting the named “Knights” al0ne?

blue_n_copper

Nov 30, 2006
Historically professional hockey teams based in Seattle have used the names Eskimos, Ironmen, Bombers, Americans, Stars and Totems among a few others. I like Totems even more after reading that.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Seattle Grungers - Mascot is a man that looks like Kurt Cobain wearing worn out jeans & long sleeve plaid shirt.
They get surviving member of Nirvana: Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters record a new version of "Smells like Teen Spirit" for their goal song thats called "Smells like Hockey Spirit" with several lyrics changed like "load up on draft picks, bring ur trades" "goals are contagious" "here we are now, in the 3rd period".
Another goal song idea: Change 'Come as you are' to 'Score as you do' with new lyrics

Reactions: Machinehead

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Seattle Sonic Boom

Pros:

-Singular not plural
-Alliterative
-Ties to both Seattle sport history as well as local aviation.

Cons:

-May trigger old Sonics fans.
-'Seattle Sonic Boobs'

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
The Seattle Chiefs
The name would pay respect to the history of the city and the surrounding area. The logo could be a Chiefs word mark along with a totem pole (featuring a thunderbird and a sockeye?)
Teams nowadays have to have a mascot, though. You get around the mascot problem by using Sasquatch; He came out of seclusion in the deep woods to watch the Chiefs play, and now he never misses a game...
I've always liked the Chiefs as a team name. Although Spokane, in the WHA, already uses it.

Lions67

Mar 6, 2018
Winnipeg
The Seattle Fog.
Sounds awesome, is accurate and the logo could be wickedly blurry!!
Black and green uni’s

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd love to hear from Tribal members about their thoughts on Totems as a name. Just my guess but I think it might be a problem.

I often think that claims about appropriation are overblown, but I might get it with Totems. As far as I know, Totem is a general name for a sacred object, like "icon". I much prefer Thunderbirds, which is an example of a specific totem. The reason it seems less appropriative is because people can learn about it rather easily. You only need to know the thunderbird, not about the whole concept of totems in addition to learning about whichever specific totem they happen to be wearing or have depicted on their inflatable banger, which gets complicated. The artistic possibilities are the same but I think Thunderbirds would be easier to negotiate and it just makes more sense as a word.

It's probably best to stay away from anything pertaining to indigenous related themes. Some might be under the impression that it's a way to honor the First Nations peoples but although there may be some in that group that may be okay with it, there will be many others that will be opposed to it. With so many different options available for a team name, there's no sense picking one that will be protested from the start. The individuals that picked the names Washington Redskins, Cleveland Indians, Atlanta Braves, etc. may have had the excuse that they didn't know those names would become offensive at a later time but we are now aware of the growing opposition to such names. It would be much better for the new Seattle team to get off to a good start publicity wise by choosing a name that has no racial connotations.

:jets

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Totems is a dumb name. Totems are stationary, just like pylons.

Seattle Sea Lions or Thunderbirds.

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013
Going with a previously mentioned owl theme
Washington Parliament (a Parliament is a grouping of owls) lol
Seattle Brood
Seattle Talons

With this theme the fans or cheerleaders can be called Hooters ;)

One of the slogans for Seattle is "The City of Flowers" so theres that. Going off of some of Washington state's exports and history I have these:

Seattle Broadleafs
Seattle Gold/iron Coast
Seattle Ironmen
Seattle Thunder Coast
Seattle EverGreen

Or, the same idea as the Golden State Warriors, why not

Pacific Coast Thunder
West Coast Thunderbirds

Or other iterations.

The Mascot better be BigFoot!

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005