Names for new Seattle team

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
-It's got no teeth. Stop drawing Sockeye logos with giant fangs.

If they don't have teeth, I'm not sure what these are, then.

01435968.jpg

Attachments

• Pat teeth only for fighting off other males 550.jpg
    Pat teeth only for fighting off other males 550.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 5

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
The Seattle HOLY CRAP WHY DID WE BUILD THIS CITY AT THE BASE OF AN ACTIVE VOLCANO

It will be relevant eventually

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
For those pointing out that leafs should be leaves.
Toronto isn't named after the leaves of a maple tree, they are named after the singular leaf on Canada's flag.

No, they are not.

They are named after the Maple Leaf regiment from World War I.

"We chose it ... hoping that the possession of this badge would mean something to the team that wore it and when they skated out on the ice with this badge on their chest ... they would wear it with honor and pride and courage, the way it had been worn by the soldiers of the first Great War in the Canadian Army," said team founder Conn Smythe.

Reactions: Ratsreign

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
No, they are not.

They are named after the Maple Leaf regiment from World War I.

"We chose it ... hoping that the possession of this badge would mean something to the team that wore it and when they skated out on the ice with this badge on their chest ... they would wear it with honor and pride and courage, the way it had been worn by the soldiers of the first Great War in the Canadian Army," said team founder Conn Smythe.
Thanks for that info. I remember hearing that story now, and that is a great reason to name the team as they did.
So it represents the singular Leaf on the regiment's badge, rather than the national flag, is why it shouldn't be said as the Maple Leaves.
The real story behind the name shows even more that it was a name chosen to appeal to a wider area than only Toronto.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
Seattle Sea Lions or even Seals. Besides almost no one remembers the Oakland/California Seals/Golden Seals.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
They could go with the Evergreen State theme and be the Seattle Sweet Leafs if it wasn't for that Leafs team in Toronto.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
If they are named the Metropolitans they won't be in the Metropolitan division and that's annoying and for that reason..I'm out.

LowSodium

Jan 4, 2015
Dallas
No it doesn't. Unless literally the five or so crappy names are the only ones considered (they can't be), there are a few names that are much better.

Steelheads
Cascades
Emeralds
Ascent
Admirals
Evergreens
If Thunderbird can be had.

Hell even Chinook is better than Sockeyes.

Thunderbirds would be #1 on my list by a mile, I'm really not feeling most of those names though. Emeralds?

I'm sure this has been posted but cant check on my phone
nfOGnTX.jpg

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Fans in Seattle have no interest in the name. The Seattle Times recently did a name the team contest and Kraken was eliminated in the first round, losing out to the name Steelheads that was eliminated shortly after.

Kraken is a mythical creator said to be nowhere near Seattle, or the Pacific ocean for that matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad