Names for new Seattle team

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Locals would know, but you'd be explaining to outsiders forever that Rainier isn't about rain.

Really?

I'm far from a local. I'm not an American, or from the West Coast, but I certainly am aware of Mount Rainier.

I think you really under estimate people's intelligence. I would guess that the Thrasher being the State bird of Georgia, for example, would be a lot more of an unknown fact than Mount Rainier's existence in Washington State.

I think the remains of a Sabre tooth tiger being found in Nashville in the early 70's is less known than the existence of an enormous mountain, visible from Seattle's downtown.

I think the Union Army wearing Blue Jackets and the bulk of the men coming from Columbus, Ohio, is less known than Mount Rainier and Mount Rainier National Park being a big tourist attraction in the state of Washington.

Last edited:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
And let’s be real here, half the city of Seattle would find it offensive, even if it didn’t pertain to them...

Fans in Seattle have no interest in the name. The Seattle Times recently did a name the team contest and Kraken was eliminated in the first round, losing out to the name Steelheads that was eliminated shortly after.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Really?

I'm far from a local. I'm not an American, or from the West Coast, but I certainly am aware of Mount Rainier.

I think you really under estimate people intelligence. I would guess that the Thrasher being the State bird of Georgia, for example, would be a lot more of an unknown fact than Mount Rainier's existence in Washington State.

I think the remains of a Sabre tooth tiger being found in Nashville in the early 70's is less known than the existence of an enormous mountain, visible from Seattle's downtown.

I think the Union Army wearing Blue Jackets and the bulk of the men coming from Columbus, Ohio, is less known than Mount Rainier and Mount Rainier National Park being a big tourist attraction in the state of Washington.

You're right, those are all more unknown than Mt. Rainier. But Seattle is even more known for being super rainy (which it only sort of is), so that might come to mind more readily. I'd roughly guess less than 10% of Americans know what a Thrasher is, about 40% know about Mt. Rainier and it's connection to Seattle, and about 75% have some idea of Seattle being rainy. No big deal either way.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Why couldn't two Sockeye salmon's be called Sockeyes?

For the same reason two Moose cannot be called Mooses. Sockeye is not named sockeye because it's got a pair of socks sticking out of its eyes. It's a completely bungled interpretation of a native word.

Manitoba Mooses = Seattle Sockeyes. Just say NO.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
For the same reason two Moose cannot be called Mooses. Sockeye is not named sockeye because it's got a pair of socks sticking out of its eyes. It's a completely bungled interpretation of a native word.

Manitoba Mooses = Seattle Sockeyes. Just say NO.

What do you mean for the same reason that two Moose cannot be called Mooses? That's a rule that I'm well aware of. I have never heard of such a rule for two sockeye salmon. I've aware that two salmon aren't called salmons, but where is it said that the word sockeye can't be pluralized?

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
What do you mean for the same reason that two Moose cannot be called Mooses? That's a rule that I'm well aware of. I have never heard of such a rule for two sockeye salmon. I've aware that two salmon aren't called salmons, but where is it said that the word sockeye can't be pluralized?

I have no idea what you want from me. What do you mean where is said? It's said where I live where not one time have I ever heard anyone say 'I've caught two sockeyes' in all my life. Anyone who says this would be ridiculed and possibly slapped with a sockeye.

For reference, I hear people talk about sockeye so much that I've developed a mild personal dislike toward the fish. It's William Nylander of the fish world.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Sockeye sounds really great but with Vancouver being a likely big rival and their use of a whale.. would seem kind of like a bait fish approach. I have a feeling it will be Kraken or something along those lines.

Vancouver should change their logo to a sperm whale. Then it'll be Sperm Whale vs Giant Squid hockey style.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
It has to be the Seattle Metropolitans. The history is already there; they won the Stanley Cup in 1917. All the other names sound like AHL/junior franchises. And look at these jerseys :heart: (Thunderbirds tribute jersey):
web1__BLP2102.jpg

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I have no idea what you want from me.

I wanted an explanation for how you arrived at the conclusion that "sockeye" was like "moose" and was a word that had no plural form.

Turns out, this appears to be a rule that you yourself have made.

This link from fisheries.org actually discusses the plural form of some fish names (and lists others that have no plural form) and sockeye is not on the list of fish that have no plural.

https://fisheries.org/docs/pub_style10.pdf

Furthermore, seems that others don't have your aversion to adding an "S" to sockeye.

https://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/the-plural-of/sockeye.html

sockeye - Wiktionary

You're certainly entitled to "ridicule" people that add an "S" to the word but it seems like an odd hill to die on.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Of the names I've heard suggested here, I like Sea Lions most. Sea Otters is good, too.
I understand Evergreens are tough and resilient and all, but it's a tree. I guess Sockeye sounds pugilistic and tough, but would Seattle really name their team after a type of salmon? Seattle Kraken? Not really liking that one, either.
Rainiers doesn't really work, maybe something to do with climbing the mountain or exploring the surrounding wilderness, instead?
(Edit) someone here earlier made a good case as to why Seattle Dragons would work. That wouldn't be a bad team name, and I'd definitely rather see that than the Kraken(s?).

Last edited:
Reactions: Keke

Ahoy there

Always in control of my stick
Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI
Sports are meant to be an escape; entertainment wherein one can forget the troubles of life for a couple hours. It's funny how highly they have been elevated to unhealthy places in many people's lives. For that reason, I vote "Seattle Sockeyes." In fact, the improper uses of singularity and plurality should be employed league wide. Grammar Nazis be ****ed

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
For those pointing out that leafs should be leaves.
Toronto isn't named after the leaves of a maple tree, they are named after the singular leaf on Canada's flag. It's another way of calling themselves the Canadians, like the team in Montreal did.

member 300185

Thats right....everyone knows they are called Meese

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
I read from a Seattle new source on twitter that "Kraken" is not going to be the name. Right now I think it will be the Sockeyes. Seattle newspaper poll ranked it as the most popular name, Sports Illustrated also ranked it as a top choice (though that kind of ranking is going to be subjective). I just don't see "Totems" happening, I think there would be some objections with it. Though I think the Native American art influence in the team's logo would be likely, much like the Seahawks or the local Thunderbirds. I like the idea of them bringing back the Metropolitans too. Seals just makes me think of the Oakland Seals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad