Names for new Seattle team

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
These are good/great. Totems, Sockeyes, and Seals are horrible.

I can do Rainiers, as I can Pilots, though I'd prefer Admirals.

I love the name Admirals, especially for a sea-faring city, however, the "attle" sounds at the end of Seattle sounds very awkward when paired with Admirals, so I dropped.

Seattle Schooners I like, but the new CFL team just took that name which makes in unlikely.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
The Totems discussion is an interesting one. I think this would be different than taking on the mascot of Indians, Blackhawks, etc. because this falls more under cultural appropriation rather than promoting harmful stereotypes. While I don't believe there's any right way to do Indians or Redskins, I think it is possible for there to be a right way to do Totems. There's a good chance you might see people wearing totem pole hats or having inflatable totem bangers which would be bad. On the other hand, I would note the Seattle Seahawks and Canucks have totem art inspired logos, but (as far as I know) don't recognize where they got these styles from. Some teams claim their names give recognition to indigenous people. Why not do more than that? A Seattle Totems name could give an opportunity to get consultation from native communities, hire native designers to create their brand, have charities that benefit native communities in Washington state, and use their brand and reach to help promote indigenous artists and authentic crafts and designs. Some of these efforts could improve the image of the team and NHL as a whole, too.

Just some thoughts. Perhaps I'm just rationalizing because I like the Totems name outside of the naming controversy.

As a local (of 4 years now), I'd rather not deal with the controversy or somebody finding offense and the moving target of pleasing people because of a team name. Krakens don't get offended, I vote Kraken.

Reactions: major major

angrymnky

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
What do I like?

Seattle Emeralds
Seattle Thunderbirds
Seattle Pilots
Seattle Totems
Seattle Sockeyes
Seattle Evergreens
Seattle Rainiers
Seattle Seals

I think a lot of these are worse than kraken. Evergreen? Rainier? If you need to explain it or provide a history lesson it isn't good enough.

member 151739

Kraken doesn't work for me. Go with Dragons. It seems like such an obvious team name, but no top four major sports team uses it.

Reactions: zar

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
Seattle Kraken is starting to grow on me, but I think they should go with T-birds. That’s what I think of when I think of Seattle area hockey. They need to work out a deal with the WHL team to get it done.

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
How much support for Kraken wouldn't exist without "Release The Kraken!" becoming a meme from a horrible movie? When I hear it, part of me thinks cringy old person shares expired meme on facebook.

HatchtrickBateman

Jun 29, 2011
Lincoln, NE
As a local (of 4 years now), I'd rather not deal with the controversy or somebody finding offense and the moving target of pleasing people because of a team name. Krakens don't get offended, I vote Kraken.
And let’s be real here, half the city of Seattle would find it offensive, even if it didn’t pertain to them...

Reactions: compan

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
in honor of their pilfering of players
Seattle Yoinks

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Why would you need to explain Evergreens in the Evergreen State or Rainier in the State that is home to Mount Rainier?

Locals would know, but you'd be explaining to outsiders forever that Rainier isn't about rain. Evergreens is self-explanatory though, it's just a snoozefest.

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
Locals would know, but you'd be explaining to outsiders forever that Rainier isn't about rain. Evergreens is self-explanatory though, it's just a snoozefest.
Much like Leaf fans have to constantly explain why the are the Maple Leafs and not the Maple Leaves. Most every team in the league requires at least some explanation.

I disagree that Evergreens is a snoozefest. Its classy, simple, represents toughness and resilience, and isn't gimmicky. If they have to spruce it up (pun intended), they can easily utilize things like The Big Green or Green Machine

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The Totems discussion is an interesting one. I think this would be different than taking on the mascot of Indians, Blackhawks, etc. because this falls more under cultural appropriation rather than promoting harmful stereotypes. While I don't believe there's any right way to do Indians or Redskins, I think it is possible for there to be a right way to do Totems. There's a good chance you might see people wearing totem pole hats or having inflatable totem bangers which would be bad. On the other hand, I would note the Seattle Seahawks and Canucks have totem art inspired logos, but (as far as I know) don't recognize where they got these styles from. Some teams claim their names give recognition to indigenous people. Why not do more than that? A Seattle Totems name could give an opportunity to get consultation from native communities, hire native designers to create their brand, have charities that benefit native communities in Washington state, and use their brand and reach to help promote indigenous artists and authentic crafts and designs. Some of these efforts could improve the image of the team and NHL as a whole, too.

Just some thoughts. Perhaps I'm just rationalizing because I like the Totems name outside of the naming controversy.

I'd love to hear from Tribal members about their thoughts on Totems as a name. Just my guess but I think it might be a problem.

I often think that claims about appropriation are overblown, but I might get it with Totems. As far as I know, Totem is a general name for a sacred object, like "icon". I much prefer Thunderbirds, which is an example of a specific totem. The reason it seems less appropriative is because people can learn about it rather easily. You only need to know the thunderbird, not about the whole concept of totems in addition to learning about whichever specific totem they happen to be wearing or have depicted on their inflatable banger, which gets complicated. The artistic possibilities are the same but I think Thunderbirds would be easier to negotiate and it just makes more sense as a word.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Most team names are silly and kind of wrong. Maple Leafs? Not only is it misspelled but imagine if you named a team Pine Needles. That's awful and yet, here we are.

I don't like Sockeye.

-I will ridicule anyone who tries to add an (s) to this word.
-It's a little fish. It's defining quality is that it's delicious.
-It's got no teeth. Stop drawing Sockeye logos with giant fangs.
-It's borderline a vegetarian.
-It's like saying 'You know how there used to be millions of these fish and then we build a giant city, killed them all, dammed their river in like 20 places and now there is barely any of them left? Let's name a sports team after them.'

Reactions: hellstick

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
The totem poles that Seattle has become known for were originally from Alaska. Some businessmen went up north, chopped down a totem pole, and brought it back to Seattle.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Thunderbirds name, logo, colors and uniform design is perfect.

If they can’t get those, I like Seattle Stags. Totems and Sockeyes are cool too.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Seattle Kraken is starting to grow on me, but I think they should go with T-birds. That’s what I think of when I think of Seattle area hockey. They need to work out a deal with the WHL team to get it done.
There's also Thunderbirds in the AHL, the Portland Pirates moved from Maine to Mass a couple of years ago and are now the Springfield Thunderbirds.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Most team names are silly and kind of wrong. Maple Leafs? Not only is it misspelled but imagine if you named a team Pine Needles. That's awful and yet, here we are.

I don't like Sockeye.

-I will ridicule anyone who tries to add an (s) to this word.
-It's a little fish. It's defining quality is that it's delicious.
-It's got no teeth. Stop drawing Sockeye logos with giant fangs.
-It's borderline a vegetarian.
-It's like saying 'You know how there used to be millions of these fish and then we build a giant city, killed them all, dammed their river in like 20 places and now there is barely any of them left? Let's name a sports team after them.'
And what happens to the Sockeye after their long, arduous journey upstream to reach the Stanley Cup Final, if they're not eaten along the way?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad