Names for new Seattle team

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Seattle Metropolitans

I'm old fashioned, and it would be so cool to resurrect the name/team a century later like the Senators. Plus, it has a good ring to it.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Evergreens, Seals, and Lumberjacks have been the best of the recent suggestions.

People seem to be too fixated on alliteration.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
"The Seattle Salmon? That is what you want to name our expansion hockey team? The Salmon?"

a21db5a94a7cc2cfb9e30612d70235e7.jpg
20 years later and zero progress has been made.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
There’s no penguins in Pittsburgh

RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!
Haha I wouldn’t want Pittsburgh’s team to be named the Penguins if they just got an expansion team now. The late 1960’s were a different time, man.

But with this logic of naming the team Kraken, I guess Pittsburgh could name an expansion team Tunas, Gorillas, or Cheetas.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Haha I wouldn’t want Pittsburgh’s team to be named the Penguins if they just got an expansion team now. The late 1960’s were a different time, man.

But with this logic of naming the team Kraken, I guess Pittsburgh could name an expansion team Tunas, Gorillas, or Cheetas.

It would more like naming them The Pittsburgh Minotaurs, Pittsburgh Loch Ness Monsters or Pittsburgh Sasquatch.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
The Totems discussion is an interesting one. I think this would be different than taking on the mascot of Indians, Blackhawks, etc. because this falls more under cultural appropriation rather than promoting harmful stereotypes. While I don't believe there's any right way to do Indians or Redskins, I think it is possible for there to be a right way to do Totems. There's a good chance you might see people wearing totem pole hats or having inflatable totem bangers which would be bad. On the other hand, I would note the Seattle Seahawks and Canucks have totem art inspired logos, but (as far as I know) don't recognize where they got these styles from. Some teams claim their names give recognition to indigenous people. Why not do more than that? A Seattle Totems name could give an opportunity to get consultation from native communities, hire native designers to create their brand, have charities that benefit native communities in Washington state, and use their brand and reach to help promote indigenous artists and authentic crafts and designs. Some of these efforts could improve the image of the team and NHL as a whole, too.

Just some thoughts. Perhaps I'm just rationalizing because I like the Totems name outside of the naming controversy.

Reactions: E40

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
I thought sockeyes was lame at first, but now it has to be the best option.

No it doesn't. Unless literally the five or so crappy names are the only ones considered (they can't be), there are a few names that are much better.

Steelheads
Cascades
Emeralds
Ascent
Admirals
Evergreens
If Thunderbird can be had.

Hell even Chinook is better than Sockeyes.

Bonzo111

Leafs Fan
Oct 31, 2017
Canaderp
No it doesn't. Unless literally the five or so crappy names are the only ones considered (they can't be), there are a few names that are much better.

Steelheads
Cascades
Emeralds
Ascent
Admirals
Evergreens

I really like the Emeralds.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Washington is known as the Evergreen State. There are all sorts of climates, environments, and creatures to draw inspiration from. Evergreen State College went with the a Gritty-esque geoduck mascot so they have plenty of imagination in WA.

Obviously they don't have to go that route as the Seattle Evergreens but the possibilities are really endless.

um, you're forgetting that "evergreen" is not a tough-sounding name.

at all.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

Steelheads
Cascades
Emeralds
Ascent
Admirals
Evergreens

Other than Seattle Kraken, the Seattle Ascent may well be the worst name I've seen suggested here. That sounds like an Arena football team.

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
um, you're forgetting that "evergreen" is not a tough-sounding name.

at all.
The very definition of the word, a plant remaining green no matter what the harsh climate might throw at it, sounds pretty tough and resilient to me. Other plants change colour or lose their leaves, while the evergreen holds on.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Too bad Metropolitans is off the radar.

I do like some of the takes on First Nation themes...Totem and Sockeye/Steelhead (not Sockeyes). Steelhead is already in use though (as is pretty much every animal name that has been mentioned).

Emerald needs to be part of the colour scheme NOT the name.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
What do I like?

Seattle Emeralds
Seattle Thunderbirds

Seattle Pilots
Seattle Totems
Seattle Sockeyes
Seattle Evergreens
Seattle Rainiers
Seattle Seals

These are good/great. Totems, Sockeyes, and Seals are horrible.

I can do Rainiers, as I can Pilots, though I'd prefer Admirals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->