Names for new Seattle team

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Seattle Frasier or The Dr. Cranes
"The Seattle Salmon? That is what you want to name our expansion hockey team? The Salmon?"

a21db5a94a7cc2cfb9e30612d70235e7.jpg

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Gross. Those colors have nothing to do with the Pacific Northwest. lol.
That's the idea. I read an article that said the owners want to differentiate themselves in the market. Every team in Seattle has some variation of blue and green. They want people wearing their team colours.

Reactions: insomniac

Goldmember

Feb 3, 2013
Fin
Seattle Silver Salamanders, Seattle Super Golden Seawarthogs, Seattle Sorority Sisters or Seattle Ancient Extraterrestrial Beavers.

Last edited by a moderator:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm scratching my head at the name "Totems", which is near the top of the polls.

As far as I know, Totem just means "sacred object", somewhat akin to a heraldic crest - it doesn't actually refer to a specific force or icon. You wouldn't call a team "the sacred objects" or "the heraldic crests", you would call them the "Thunderbirds", which is an example of a specific Totem someone might have. It's a general/specific distinction. I could be wrong in my understanding but this has tripped me up since I first heard the idea.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That's the idea. I read an article that said the owners want to differentiate themselves in the market. Every team in Seattle has some variation of blue and green. They want people wearing their team colours.

It's a terrible idea.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
I hope they either go for class (The Metropolitans) or something funny and unique (grinders with a coffee grinder as a logo perhaps). The nhl doesn’t need any more generic animal name teams.

Ibanezrokr

Mar 22, 2018
I think Seattle will opt for an animal-based team name.

Seattle Grizzles (already the name of a local Aussie football team, but....they can change :p:)

On the grizzlies thing, vancouver did own the NBA grizzlies... so that might get that potential rivalry off to a good start!

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
By the way, for those who don't think they can't or won't mess up the name, let's remember there used to be a team called the Iowa Chops that went through a process like this. I fully expect something embarrassing.

13208.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad