Names for new Seattle team

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
The Totems conversation I think is because the Greater Seattle Area hockey community is familiar with the name from a previous team and they are a current Juniors program. It's not my personally favorite (I'm also not originally from here), but I can kind of see the reason being because of familiarity.

Personally, I want to see the Kraken.

Reactions: major major

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
The Seattle Surge.
images

I can see the sponsorship opportunities already!

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think we have a winner

Sirens has a nice ring to it, but you should know that Starbucks is kind of loathed by many in Seattle. And Howard Schultz is the villain for why they lost the Sonics.

In general, industry-related names aren't going to be popular in Seattle. Every industry is hated for one thing or another.

Seattle Evergreens

A name is ideally just a starting point for further creativity. How do you get creative starting with Evergreens?

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
Sirens has a nice ring to it, but you should know that Starbucks is kind of loathed by many in Seattle. And Howard Schultz is the villain for why they lost the Sonics.

In general, industry-related names aren't going to be popular in Seattle. Every industry is hated for one thing or another.

A name is ideally just a starting point for further creativity. How do you get creative starting with Evergreens?
Washington is known as the Evergreen State. There are all sorts of climates, environments, and creatures to draw inspiration from. Evergreen State College went with the a Gritty-esque geoduck mascot so they have plenty of imagination in WA.
speedy-illus.png

Speedy the Geoduck, inspired by:
real-geoduck.jpg

Obviously they don't have to go that route as the Seattle Evergreens but the possibilities are really endless.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I really love the Thunderbirds but I don’t think that will happen.

The Kraken is my next choice.

I’d like to see some sort of homage to Seattle’s Native American history.

Maybe The Chiefs or Warriors? I know some
People think that Native American names for sports teams are exploiting the culture but when it comes to Seattle I think it’s different.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Washington is known as the Evergreen State. There are all sorts of climates, environments, and creatures to draw inspiration from. Evergreen State College went with the a Gritty-esque geoduck mascot so they have plenty of imagination in WA.
speedy-illus.png

Speedy the Geoduck, inspired by:
real-geoduck.jpg

Obviously they don't have to go that route as the Seattle Evergreens but the possibilities are really endless.

I went to Evergreen until 2013. :laugh:
Amazing school actually.

The experience living there is part of why I think "Evergreen" as an image has somewhat limited potential. Now if the Seattle execs are bold enough to adopt the geoduck, then that does open the creative doors substantially. :laugh:

Just my guess though, if you are a devotee of the Gritty school of marketing, and you don't shy away from the Geoduck, then you probably won't start from "Evergreens". Not crazy enough.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Maybe The Chiefs or Warriors? I know some
People think that Native American names for sports teams are exploiting the culture but when it comes to Seattle I think it’s different.

I also like Thunderbirds and Kraken. I don't think names like Warriors or Chiefs would fare better than they have elsewhere. If Seattle has avoided controversy so far it's because they didn't have such a team name.

Whatever they pick, if it has native imagery it has to go through a lengthy consultation process with local tribes first. They'll fight it if they don't get a seat at the table.

Anything with a native dudes face on it, or any war-related imagery is going to be rejected. I don't think they'd like "Totems" as a name, but you'd have to ask them. I'd guess that Thunderbirds would get more support.

Reactions: SI90

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Seattle Sizzlers
Seattle Steamers
Seattle Sea Otters
Seattle Sea Lions
Seattle Sailors
Seattle Sonics
Seattle Saints

Last edited:

HatchtrickBateman

Jun 29, 2011
Lincoln, NE
The Penguins came about because the civic arena looked like an igloo. So if Seattle builds an arena shaped like a ship, and there is an octopus hugging it, go with Kraken.
Interesting..I wasn’t aware penguins live in igloos. In fact, a quick google search reveals that the geographical areas where igloos came from contain no penguins. Therefore, naming this team the kraken, would have about the same relevance to Seattle as the Pittsburgh penguins

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Seattle Storm
Seattle Tsunami
Seattle Global Warmers
Seattle Climate Changers

Something along those lines

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->