Player Discussion Nail Yakupov Talk II - Say something, I'm giving up on you....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
We're not improving due to coaching and it has nothing to do with it. We're improving because we have better players like McDavid, Draisaitl, Nurse, Gryba, Maroon, Kass, etc playing in the lineup and most importantly with Talbot in net.

That's been the nature of improvement. The coaching contribution has been underwhelming.

What players have improved due to the coaching staff here? Keeping in mind Talbot himself credits his past coaching staff in NY, who he contacted, for his improvement this season.

I see way more structure than last year. You forget about the swarm already?

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
I remember Reinhart rumors popping up on draft day (someone from TSN floated it I think?). They were REALLY high the kid. Not sure if they were considering taking him 1st overall or trading down though. Little fuzzy on that bit. It was a weird draft to say the least.

Yes, it was on TSN. A few hours before the draft, they were saying it seemed like the Oilers might go for Reinhart.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Few things could be worse than Eakins. Not holding the bar high to say theres been some improvement.

But conversely some of this years structure compounds lineup issues rather than mitigating them. In short I think McLellan and coaching staff have done a poor job catering schemes to the lineup. Their approach instead has been using schemes this lineup is unsuited for or contra prepared to perform.

McLellan is a little stubborn. Not always a good thing.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Few things could be worse than Eakins. Not holding the bar high to say theres been some improvement.

But conversely some of this years structure compounds lineup issues rather than mitigating them. In short I think McLellan and coaching staff have done a poor job catering schemes to the lineup. Their approach instead has been using schemes this lineup is unsuited for or contra prepared to perform.

Every year we have a team starting the season adjusting to new coaching. I think we will see even a bigger improvement next season.

The only disappointment for me is the PP. Cant understand that one yet.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Yes, it was on TSN. A few hours before the draft, they were saying it seemed like the Oilers might go for Reinhart.

The way I've heard it told was that on draft day the Oilers scouts and management were split on which dman between Reinhart, Murray and Rielly would be the best to pick...each kid had different guys championing him. They all were pretty much in consensus that Yakupov was the best forward in the draft, especially with his linemate Galchenyuk missing nearly his entire draft year with a knee injury.

Ultimately they went with the one guy they could all agree on, and I can't really blame them for that. In a relatively weak draft he was the consensus top talent given everyone's performances up to that point.

If the draft age was 19 instead of 18, who knows how that draft board would've looked.

SnooPac

Sep 13, 2008
Even the scorekeepers are against Yak. :sarcasm:
2 assists taken away from him in the last 2 games.

(Sorry if this was discussed in game threads, haven't had time to read)

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Even the scorekeepers are against Yak. :sarcasm:
2 assists taken away from him in the last 2 games.

(Sorry if this was discussed in game threads, haven't had time to read)

2 assists and a goal. Its a little ridiculous.

Nothing like Draisaitl though who has had 3 goals this season called back on video review. Although he's got astounding tallies anyway but just saying.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Nothing like Draisaitl though who has had 3 goals this season called back on video review. Although he's got astounding tallies anyway but just saying.
McDavid has had a couple of those too. Ridiculous

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.

Actually I think what is ridiculous is the amount of second assists handed out these days, generally they have very little to do with the goal. I mean the guy screening the goalie had more help in the goal.

They only started handing them out like candy when performance bonuses became a thing. Guys like Howe would have had way more points in the 60s and 70s if today's standards were the same then.

You even see guys crying to the ref now to make sure they get that assist.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
They didn't even record assists when the NHL first began... not saying I'm that old that I personally remember that... but hey times change and nothing is static forever.

Bluelines... redlines... trapezoids... icings... forward passes... goalie gear... composite sticks... everything changes over time and the game constantly evolves so it's hard to compare various eras and the players within them as so much changes over the years.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Actually I think what is ridiculous is the amount of second assists handed out these days, generally they have very little to do with the goal. I mean the guy screening the goalie had more help in the goal.

They only started handing them out like candy when performance bonuses became a thing. Guys like Howe would have had way more points in the 60s and 70s if today's standards were the same then.

They are handed out the way they are supposed to be. I have been a ref before, the last 2 people to touch the puck before the goal scorer get an assist (as long as that team maintains possession the entire time). When I was a ref we used to ask guys if we weren't sure if it touched them or not, guys were usually honest about it. It's not an NBA assist.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Sure, I get what your saying. But try and dispute that Yak creates that turnover that creates the goal. He jams the opponent on the boards, squeezes him off puck and moves the puck in the direction of Hall, who takes it inside, and scores. Yak even made a pick on the play.

That one had all kinds of things to do with the goal. Ironically far more than the assist he did end up getting. :laugh:

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Way more structure then last year. So nice to see our forwards passing back to our dmen when theres nothing presenting in the neutral zone so that they can reset and attack again. It's all about possession, pretty hard for the other team to score if you always have the puck.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Sure, I get what your saying. But try and dispute that Yak creates that turnover that creates the goal. He jams the opponent on the boards, squeezes him off puck and moves the puck in the direction of Hall, who takes it inside, and scores. Yak even made a pick on the play.

That one had all kinds of things to do with the goal. Ironically far more than the assist he did end up getting. :laugh:

I don't care what Yak did..hehe. I was simply pointing out how second assists are handed out these days, I don't care who the player is.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
They are handed out the way they are supposed to be. I have been a ref before, the last 2 people to touch the puck before the goal scorer get an assist (as long as that team maintains possession the entire time). When I was a ref we used to ask guys if we weren't sure if it touched them or not, guys were usually honest about it. It's not an NBA assist.

Exactly my point, assists never used to be handed out if it "touched" them, you used to have to assist in the play, taking a shot in your back only to have someone scoop the puck and score is not assisting in the play.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Exactly my point, assists never used to be handed out if it "touched" them, you used to have to assist in the play, taking a shot in your back only to have someone scoop the puck and score is not assisting in the play.

It is by the standard of the rule layed down to refs though. That's what I'm saying. It hits you, it's an assist, that is the rule.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
It is by the standard of the rule layed down to refs though. That's what I'm saying. It hits you, it's an assist, that is the rule.

Yes I understand :)

The standard has changed over the years big time, considering (like penalties) its left to ref discretion. I actually wished they would drop second assists completely.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

It happens hundreds of times in an NHL season. Guys do great work to set up a goal and don't get an assist. Players putting their bodies on the line in front of the net, taking abuse and providing a screen contribute greatly to goals that are sifted in by the defencemen past a goalie that can't see a thing. McD flew down the wing and basically created the Eberle goal but he got nadda on the scoreboard, yet he was vital. No big deal, it all evens out.

So what if Yak didn't get an apple when he shoved a guy and whacked his stick causing him to lose control. He made a good play. They don't all result on the personal record. Not sure what the controversy is all about.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Getting back to the Yak pick, that draft was one of the stranger ones ever. If you asked any GM at the time, I bet you nearly everyone of them takes either Yak or Murray 1st overall, with the Yak getting most of the love. It was just a ****** time to be picking first overall. In hindsight that would have been the perfect time to swap the pick and get one of the other dmen mentioned. There are not too many drafts where there are far better players down the list than the top 2 or 3 guys.

Avenger*

What McLellan is doing is forcing the team to play the right way with structure, effort and discipline. He knows the roster is not complete nor a playoff contender so he has no reason to cater to the players. Those that don't fit will be shipped out for those that do.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It happens hundreds of times in an NHL season. Guys do great work to set up a goal and don't get an assist. Players putting their bodies on the line in front of the net, taking abuse and providing a screen contribute greatly to goals that are sifted in by the defencemen past a goalie that can't see a thing. McD flew down the wing and basically created the Eberle goal but he got nadda on the scoreboard, yet he was vital. No big deal, it all evens out.

So what if Yak didn't get an apple when he shoved a guy and whacked his stick causing him to lose control. He made a good play. They don't all result on the personal record. Not sure what the controversy is all about.

By no means do I care that he gets an apple. What I care about is the player keeps working hard like this, helping out linemates, and that it be acknowledged at all by the team which I'm sensing it is. McLellan even took the time to give Yak some pats on the back towards the end of the game. Probably Yaks best game in awhile but he's played solidly the last dozen games. Seemed to be struggling when he came back from injury and didn't have much jump but he's dancing out there now and for someone with skating issues he sure seems to arrive at opponent puck carrier pretty quick. I've always wanted to see Yak with Draisaitl. Interestingly enough Hall and Drai were struggling for awhile but the line got 2 goals and with Yak only seeing two periods there. In no way am I saying causal relationship but Yak helped those goals to occur. Seemed so far to fit. But it only happened because Kass lost his mind and got a misconduct.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
By no means do I care that he gets an apple. What I care about is the player keeps working hard like this, helping out linemates, and that it be acknowledged at all by the team which I'm sensing it is. McLellan even took the time to give Yak some pats on the back towards the end of the game. Probably Yaks best game in awhile but he's played solidly the last dozen games. Seemed to be struggling when he came back from injury and didn't have much jump but he's dancing out there now and for someone with skating issues he sure seems to arrive at opponent puck carrier pretty quick. I've always wanted to see Yak with Draisaitl. Interestingly enough Hall and Drai were struggling for awhile but the line got 2 goals and with Yak only seeing two periods there. In no way am I saying causal relationship but Yak helped those goals to occur. Seemed so far to fit. But it only happened because Kass lost his mind and got a misconduct.

If Yak can continue to play more or less like he did last game, he'll continue to get time on the Drai line or another top line and get his minutes and chances, and deservedly so. It's the way TM operates. But it's a big if, if he can continue to do it.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
What McLellan is doing is forcing the team to play the right way with structure, effort and discipline. He knows the roster is not complete nor a playoff contender so he has no reason to cater to the players. Those that don't fit will be shipped out for those that do.

Yes, and the foundation needs to be set for those things this year, winning all the games or not. So next year, for those who are still on this team, they will know exactly what is expected of them and begin camp with that mindset, not try to catch on halfway through the season.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004

They do it correctly in Russia with just one assist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland