Player Discussion Nail Yakupov Talk II - Say something, I'm giving up on you....

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
What exactly does Eberle produce?

A sphincter produces.

Kid Clutch really helping us win all these one goal games, eh? Eberle has been better since the reset....but still aggravating.

Before that Eberle's points were useless because he was a black hole of possession and worthless when pressured at either end of the ice.

Offence. He has put up points ever since he got here. Yakupov can't touch him in that respect.

Criticize Eberle all you want. He is certainly a flawed player. But perennial 25-goal scorers are pretty damn valuable in this league, especially on the team ranked 26th in scoring.

The bolded is a much better question to ask of Yakupov.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Offence. He has put up points ever since he got here. Yakupov can't touch him in that respect.

Criticize Eberle all you want. He is certainly a flawed player. But perennial 25-goal scorers are pretty damn valuable in this league, especially on the a team ranked 28th in scoring.

The bolded is a much better question to ask of Yakupov.

Well I didn't mean to keep the eberle vs. yak thing going....but I did.

I did an I'm sorry.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Nail Yakupov doesn't stick in big minutes or scoring lines because he is completely useless. He's not completely useless because he doesn't stick in big minutes or scoring lines.

He's played SO MANY MINUTES with better players than himself and generated nothing. He has the least amount of hockey sense possible. Matt Hendricks generates more scoring chances from the fourth line than Nail Yakupov does anywhere on the roster.

Being completely carried in small samples by better hockey players for 40 games doesn't excuse 200+ games of completely worthlessness.

This is actually quite false. In 3 different stints with scoring centers, two of them being Gagner and Roy, he produced at a top 6 rate. He hasn't scored enough goals but he creates plenty of scoring chances when playing with skill and has been quite good the last few games alongside Hall and Draisaitl.

I'm not even his biggest fan but this narrative that he's a black hole of offense with anybody is BS. The biggest reason is because he tends to differ to his linemates when he feels that he doesn't need to carry a line and the less Yak has the puck, the better. He obviously has his issues away from the puck and has questionable hockey IQ to be nice, but he produces plenty of offense when placed with skill. He needs to score more goals though, no doubt about that.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
He has 6 goals this year. 6. Mark Letestu - the guy that every Yak fanboy uses as a crutch for his poor play is outscoring him.

When he has played in the top 6 and on the PP, his production has continued to be average at the very, very best.

Comparing him in any way, shape or form to Hall, Eberle, Draisatil, RNH, etc is ridiculous. These guys produce. Yakupov doesn't.

Letestu, who has been stapled to the top powerplay unit all year to the tune of 5th in team PPTOI, in a role where he's scored nearly half his points - yeah, he's outscoring Yakupv, but not for the reasons you are claiming. It should be noted that Letestu has actually scored less points at even strength this year, presumably due to the fact that he doesn't have Hall, Eberle, Mcdavid, or Drai to prop him up offensively since he has no ability to create offense on his own.

Stating that Yak is buried with a non-offensive forth line center is a perfectly valid complaint.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
He'll be shipped out this offseason to the highest non-divisional bidder. Dogging it in practice sealed his fate.

Was hoping the Oilers could hold onto him as bait during the expansion draft next off-season. He's on a cheap contact for next season and his pedigree would be tough to pass up for an expansion franchise. May prevent Las Vegas from taking a more valuable player.

copperandblue897

Nov 29, 2008
Edmonton
What can we realistically expect to get for him at the draft?

$2.5 million cap hit is not outrageous for a team to take a flyer on him. As long as he can be put in a sheltered environment. I am going to suggest the East is the best spot for him.

Love the human, but not a hockey player that mixes well with our roster. We don't have the luxury of waiting to see on him to find out if he will every process the game at the rate his physical skills he possesses

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Letestu, who has been stapled to the top powerplay unit all year to the tune of 5th in team PPTOI, in a role where he's scored nearly half his points - yeah, he's outscoring Yakupv, but not for the reasons you are claiming. It should be noted that Letestu has actually scored less points at even strength this year, presumably due to the fact that he doesn't have Hall, Eberle, Mcdavid, or Drai to prop him up offensively since he has no ability to create offense on his own.

Stating that Yak is buried with a non-offensive forth line center is a perfectly valid complaint.

And yet he's still behind Korpikoski in goals.

Goal scorer who doesn't score.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
I agree except I think Yakupov is much better keeping the puck in the zone offensively. Like....eleventythousand times better.

He knows how to keep plays alive....he just can't finish....or play defense.

If a team finds a top 6 spot for him on a team that is just trying to control possession he will probably stick.

Totally false, Yakupov has zero idea on how to cycle, just watch any game.

People are constantly confusing all his limbs moving hyper speed for getting something done. He was drafted for his finish, he is not a playmaker. If he can't finish, what exactly does he bring that another 3 million dollar player can't ?

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
And yet he's still behind Korpikoski in goals.

Goal scorer who doesn't score.

So? Two extra goals at even strength, and 4 total isn't much evidence of anything either way.

As a line, their production close to that of a 4th line on other teams, which isn't surprising since it has two confirmed career 4th liners on it. Put a skill player(especially a struggling one) with players like that, they aren't going to produce.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I have always liked him, and don't really have an issue with him asking for a trade.

I personally think his defensive failures are a bit overblown and he has been fine in that regard this year.

However, it comes down to being drafted 1st overall and not providing any offense after his run as a rookie.

I think he's had a fair amount of chances but he just needs to start scoring to make another team interested.

Not sure who would trade for him, but I hope he does well elsewhere and we get someone struggling in a similar situation and perhaps both guys get a fresh start.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Frig you just know Leafs are going to trade for him and hes going to break out in a proper environment

Anyway, good for him. He deserves a proper environment. Not the filth and sewage that is the Oilers franchise. Good thing he escaped while still saveable

What?

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I really do hope he breaks out with another team.. He was not a fit even from the beginning when we started him on his off wing.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
The guy's basically Schremp if the Oilers forced Schremp into the NHL from 19 on. Can maybe get you 40 points, is going to be terrible defensively, probably out of the league in five years. Guys like this just don't stick long term.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Totally false, Yakupov has zero idea on how to cycle, just watch any game.

People are constantly confusing all his limbs moving hyper speed for getting something done. He was drafted for his finish, he is not a playmaker. If he can't finish, what exactly does he bring that another 3 million dollar player can't ?

Interesting point which I don't see brought up by anyone, especially not the Yakupov fan train. He frequently doesn't utilize his teammates (and really, it doesn't matter if he's passing to McDavid or Letestu) and often breaks cycles on his own lack of on-ice awareness.

Cycling the puck, for better or worse, is a fundamental skill needed in the NHL.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Can someone please explain this conspiracy? Why is it that the Oilers, this includes every coach, tried to ruin Yakupov and why was he generally pushed down the lineup.

Some say its because he is Russian, I think they knew that when they drafted him. Some say he is better than Eberle, if that were the case why would the Oilers even hesitate to trade Eberle and let Yakupov have his spot, considering Yakupov's salary. I'm pretty sure lots of teams would be interested in Eberle.

Why is it that no other GM, or scout in the league sees this top end hockey player some people are describing? We should be easily getting a first round pick or a top notch prospect for him, but for some reason that doesn't seem to be the case or he'd be gone.

What is the mystery exactly?

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I'll just start firing off wild predictions, I guess.

Yakupov for FLA 19th overall and Alex Petrovic.

tumblr_nafhzi4Si31spx4u4o1_400.jpg

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I think we all knew this trade request was coming--whether we liked it or not.

While other top picks were given plenty of rope and ice time--Yak was always put on a short rope and ice time--he did not do much with the time he was given--but other players were given lots of ice time to work through their problems--Yak was tossed on the third line to play with inferior players.

I predict when he moves he becomes like Miro Satan(http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=16367) or Maeriusz Czerkowksi(http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=9992)

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I think we all knew this trade request was coming--whether we liked it or not.

While other top picks were given plenty of rope and ice time--Yak was always put on a short rope and ice time--he did not do much with the time he was given--but other players were given lots of ice time to work through their problems--Yak was tossed on the third line to play with inferior players.

I predict when he moves he becomes like Miro Satan(http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=16367) or Maeriusz Czerkowksi(http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=9992)

I'll guess Zdeno Ciger

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Can someone please explain this conspiracy? Why is it that the Oilers, this includes every coach, tried to ruin Yakupov and why was he generally pushed down the lineup.

Some say its because he is Russian, I think they knew that when they drafted him. Some say he is better than Eberle, if that were the case why would the Oilers even hesitate to trade Eberle and let Yakupov have his spot, considering Yakupov's salary. I'm pretty sure lots of teams would be interested in Eberle.

Why is it that no other GM, or scout in the league sees this top end hockey player some people are describing? We should be easily getting a first round pick or a top notch prospect for him, but for some reason that doesn't seem to be the case or he'd be gone.

What is the mystery exactly?

It's not every coach. Both Nelson and Kreuger were fine with Yakupov.

Eakins was a disaster by every measure, with many rumors that he used both Yakupov and Schultz as his own personal verbal punching bags. Mclellan is a guy who already had a rep of favoring vets over younger players that might be a project. Hence Purcell had a free pass to the top line for half the year(despite being effective for maybe a month of that), and Yakupov was buried.

It's no big mystery

There might something behind how poorly the organization seemed to regard Yakupov right from the day he was brought into the organization. Considering there were rumblings that Katz overruled the management group, and history of Mactavish/Lowe acting like petty vindictive twits, but we're never get the full story on something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille