Confirmed with Link: Nail Yakupov signs 2-year extension ($2.5M AAV)

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Vince Lecavalier was a -70 after his first 3 seasons but of course we never heard that as he was a good ole boy.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Schultz should take note but since he's a greedy, me first type I doubt he resigns for less then what he's making now.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Excellent news.

This could be one heck of a steal if Yakupov lives upto his potential these next two seasons.

Good job Mac-T !! (no sarcasm intended for once) :handclap:

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Schultz deserves a similar deal. Hope the media calls him out WHEN he refuses to take a bridge deal like Yak. You know how they'd behave if the roles were reversed.

Dallas Eakins*

Vince Lecavalier was a -70 after his first 3 seasons but of course we never heard that as he was a good ole boy.

Sure. I mean he had twice as many points in his second season so that probably helped but whatever suits your narrative.:)

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
So it's 2.5.

Ugh. I mean, I guess we're not a cap team....but everytime I think that, I think....we need to add a #1 goalie still and obviously a top d-man, if possible.

It's a good deal. He will score 30 goals next year.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Good for Yak to be willing to earn a big contract. As others have said it'd be a breath of fresh air if Schultz would do the same.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Schultz deserves a similar deal. Hope the media calls him out WHEN he refuses to take a bridge deal like Yak. You know how they'd behave if the roles were reversed.

I can see Oilers and Schultz falling out over the money. This is a player with a very high opinion of own abilities and pronounced me first attitude. Won't surprise me if he will be on the block this summer.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Schultz should take note but since he's a greedy, me first type I doubt he resigns for less then what he's making now.

He can't re-sign for less than he's making now. He's a RF and has to get a 10% raise at least, no?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Great deal. would be impossible to complain about this. Yak will easily provide contractual worth in this. The Next contract will be the problem.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I am bewilldered and befuddled about all these comments about schultz. If a guy is in people dog house they seem to just dream up shi* out of thin air.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
He can't re-sign for less than he's making now. He's a RF and has to get a 10% raise at least, no?

His salary is over the league average so they need to offer him the same amount to qualify him. No raise needed. If I am not mistaken

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I wonder if Larionov told Yak he could have gotten more but Yak chose to sign the deal anyway. Curious..

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I wonder if Larionov told Yak he could have gotten more but Yak chose to sign the deal anyway. Curious..

People overestimate the importance of money for some people. Yakupov is a 21 year old kid who breathes hockey and who is already a millionaire. I bet all he cares about at this point is becoming the player everyone expected him to become just a couple of years ago.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
Can't see Schultz bending the team over a barrel this offseason. Listen to his post-season presser. That's a guy acutely aware of his own shortcomings, even if he does still have aspirations to be the best.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
It's $2M less than Purcell with identical production and a lot more room to grow. Heck, if we bought out Purcell his cap hit would only be $1M less than Yak's for the duration of the deal.

If he breaks out offensively like most expect, it's a steal. If he stagnates, it's a manageable number and term. It's movable because it doesn't break the bank and someone is always willing to bet on potential and a famous name.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Can't see Schultz bending the team over a barrel this offseason. Listen to his post-season presser. That's a guy acutely aware of his own shortcomings, even if he does still have aspirations to be the best.

Just good words for negotiations. Still expecting him to ask north of 4.5M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad