Confirmed with Link: Nail Yakupov signs 2-year extension ($2.5M AAV)

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Not sure how fair this is.

Hall was -1, Eberle and Nuge's combined minus isn't even close to Nuges number.

Purcell was the only other forward with a minus half of Yaks....

Uhh... I'm going to assume this is a typo, because Purcell is a -33 and Yakupov is a -35.

Hall's -1 isn't super fair either, given that he played 30 less games.

Eberle (-16) and Nuge (-12) combine for -28, which is what I'd consider 'close' to Yakupov's number.

That said, while I do think Yakupov can continue to improve defensively, the real room for growth is in his offence. If Yakupov had hit 50 points this year (which I think is a reasonable goal for him next season), he would have been at -18, very close to Eberle. If we had a reasonable defence (a man can wish, right?), all of our forwards would look even better.

Moreover, Yak had no luck this year. Under Nelson, we saw him hit so many posts, and be barely on the ice for so many goals again that he had nothing to do with. I can't imagine that his luck will stay so bad over the course of another full season away from Eakins.

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
Solid contract. I wonder if all the haters will shut up about him bolting to Russia now?

Nah, he probably didn't get any contract offers from KHL. :sarcasm:

Can't understand how there's people who doesn't like this deal. Derek freaking Dorsett just got 4 x 2.65M from the Canucks.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Or Draisaitl, in 16/17.

That's two recent deals now (Lander and now Yak) that were 2 years with agreeable dollar amounts.

Next up, Norris. Now THAT will be an interesting negotiation, assuming they don't deal him first.

I'm scared about the incoming Schultz signing. I could see MacT giving him 5 mil per year

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Nah, he probably didn't get any contract offers from KHL. :sarcasm:

Can't understand how there's people who doesn't like this deal. Derek freaking Dorsett just got 4 x 2.65M from the Canucks.

UFA vs RFA, so not a totally fair comparison. But agreed, 2.5M for a top 6 winger is reasonable.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I'm scared about the incoming Schultz signing. I could see MacT giving him 5 mil per year

Certainly hope not. MacT should seriously be debating whether to even qualify him. He should be making about the same as Yak, not close to double which is what his qualifying offer will take him to.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006

Plus minus is a garbage stat that doesn't truly signify how a player played. Last game Yak played very well but ended up even, even though he scored.

As for the aforementioned players, none of them were in the doghouse under Eakins. Yak has improved a great deal under Nelson, just give the guy some time and he will excel.

Last edited:

dem

Mar 17, 2002

This is the scary signing of the summer.

They need to set a hard line with Schultz. I don't know how he can ask for more than he got this year.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Yak's minus rating doesn't concern me that much right now. Continuing the reclaim of his offensive confidence is much more important.

If it's done from the second line of a team with a better defense and better goaltending, that number will improve anyway.

Eberle (-16) and Nuge (-12) combine for -28, which is what I'd consider 'close' to Yakupov's number.

That's... not how this stat works.

DipsyMcDoodles

Apr 6, 2014
Edmonton

Purcell was -33, if you combine Nuge and Eberle's +/- it's -28 and if I'm assuming you meant Yak's number and not Nuge's then they're different by 7.

+/- is really a terrible stat but Yak definitely deserves some of the blame. That being said, he has taken a lot of strides defensively and iirc a lot of the time he was not primarily responsible for the goal against while he was on the ice.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

Honestly, I think there's zero chance of him getting a deal like that, not after this year, and especially after Schultz himself admitting he needs to be a lot better and has to improve his strength and shot.

Kinda hard to say all that then go into negotiations with "Kay, give me 5 large now!"...

And besides, maybe the Oilers look at dealing him? IMO he does have value if they were willing to go down that road.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Certainly hope not. MacT should seriously be debating whether to even qualify him. He should be making about the same as Yak, not close to double which is what his qualifying offer will take him to.
He should probably get max 3.5-4 per year. However, the Nikitin contract has Set up a bad precedent so Schultz will want more than Nikitin (4.5).

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
That's... not how this stat works.

I was responding to his unclear post which claimed that Eberle and Nuge's +/- combined " isn't even close" to Yakupov's minus. I'm aware that taking a silly stat like +/- and then adding it with players makes it absolutely meaningless, lol.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Schultz will be dealt this off season. Suspect we'll see something like Schultz to Carolina for Ward (some salary retained) and a draft pick, maybe a 3rd in 2016.

The Yak deal is the first decent contract the MacT regime has delivered. Yak will outperform it and is poised to score 20-30 goals if they continue deploying him properly.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
If he doesn't get 45 points next season...
see ya

Nah. Scoring was pretty low this year and if it's not up next year, 45 points would probably place him in the top-30 among RWs in league scoring.

Not bad for your second line RW making the literal average salary.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Schultz will be dealt this off season. Suspect we'll see something like Schultz to Carolina for Ward (some salary retained) and a draft pick, maybe a 3rd in 2016.

The Yak deal is the first decent contract the MacT regime has delivered. Yak will outperform it and is poised to score 20-30 goals if they continue deploying him properly.

I hate the management team as much as the next guy but seriously Lander just like a week ago?

That's 2 straight positive signings.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Given the young blueliners we have on the roster and coming up, an actual BOLD move would be trading Schultz for a steady d-man.

Given how much of an IED Schultz is in his own end, I can get behind that.

Thing is, for all of his faults Schultz is still the only dman we have that we can count on for 30+ points from the back end. The Oilers offensive production from their D is one of the worst in the NHL even with Schultz. Without him, it'd be a horror show.

If they deal him, they absolutely need to replace that production, such as it is.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
??

For a guy that is a combined -68 the last 2 years, he surely doesn't produce a lot of offense.

if Yakupov were a 30 year old you would be right, but with these talented young players you always pay for potential, and Yak still carries 1st overall pedigree. He shows it too. Are you really worried that he won't be worth this money, or are you just disappointed that we couldn't squeeze every last dime out of him?

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Given how much of an IED Schultz is in his own end, I can get behind that.

Thing is, for all of his faults Schultz is still the only dman we have that we can count on for 30+ points from the back end. The Oilers offensive production from their D is one of the worst in the NHL even with Schultz. Without him, it'd be a horror show.

If they deal him, they absolutely need to replace that production, such as it is.

This is such a crucial point that many fans seem to miss. Yes, Schultz is painfully bad in his own zone. Yes, we need someone better than him desperately. But until we get at least one puck moving defenceman of his offensive capacity (preferably more than one), we simply cannot afford to dump him for scraps or anything but another offensive dman.

DipsyMcDoodles

Apr 6, 2014
Edmonton
Year end interview with Yak "Maybe they'll figure something out in the summer and then I'll stay here".

Next day, two year contract extension announced :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad