Confirmed with Link: Nail Yakupov signs 2-year extension ($2.5M AAV)

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Certainly hope not. MacT should seriously be debating whether to even qualify him. He should be making about the same as Yak, not close to double which is what his qualifying offer will take him to.

i would look to trade him, and hope like hell that some other teams GM and scouts have been asleep for the past 3 years, and don't realize how utterly *TERRIBLE* schultz is as a hockey player.... one of the worst defenders i've ever had the misfortune of watching... but that is fantasy land, nobody is going to be dumb enough to trade for schultz

so because we won't trade him, i'd walk from the qualifying offer... don't even make it, and use the 4 million to sign an actual hockey player

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Schultz should take note but since he's a greedy, me first type I doubt he resigns for less then what he's making now.

he can't resign for less than he is making right now i don't think... don't the oilers HAVE to give him a qualifying offer because of the circumstances that schultz signed under?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think he's a 20-30 goal scorer without Eakins so that's not a bad amount.

Happy for Yak. Hope he does well at the Worlds.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Congrats guys. My dream of Bergevin offersheeting him came to an end! I think he will have a break out year next year. Your GM made the right choice to sign him quickly. Best wishes for your club in 2015-2016.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Congrats guys. My dream of Bergevin offersheeting him came to an end! I think he will have a break out year next year. Your GM made the right choice to sign him quickly. Best wishes for your club in 2015-2016.

Thanks. Good luck in the playoffs.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He barely put up 30 points. I'm not ready to peg him as a 30 goal scorer yet.

30 is the higher range, but 20+ shouldn't be out of reach.

He hit 14 this year and that was playing under Eakins for half of it and then requiring another good 2-3 weeks to get his confidence back on track after that ... so 14 is kinda what I view his lower end scoring range as.

He scored 9 of his 14 goals in the final 28 games, I think largely it took that long for him to shake off the Eakins effect.

GRadio

Energy Line
Aug 16, 2014
Edmonton
People overestimate the importance of money for some people. Yakupov is a 21 year old kid who breathes hockey and who is already a millionaire. I bet all he cares about at this point is becoming the player everyone expected him to become just a couple of years ago.
Don't forget, it's the agents that do the negotiating on contracts. This is probably the best deal Larionov could get and then told Yak to sign. And he did.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
I'm actually happy with this deal. 2.5 is great for both sides. I'm pleased to see Yak sign it right away too. Eakins dampened his progress in a huge derailing way and most of us Oil fans know that.

oilz89*

I can't believe there's some people in this thread that said this is overpay... He's making less then last year for crying out loud and you guys have seen the goals that have been allowed by our goalies. Our number one goalie is SCRIVENS!!! Let that last part sink in! Also, plus/minus is a bs stat

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Thank you Eakins for single handedly reducing Yak's cap hit by 3M per for the next 2 yrs.

Great signing for both EDM and YAK.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
he can't resign for less than he is making right now i don't think... don't the oilers HAVE to give him a qualifying offer because of the circumstances that schultz signed under?

The qualifying offer will be his current salary. However, if the deal is multi-year it could theoretically be for less. But I would not hold my breath.

BigBen

Dec 5, 2014
Thank you Eakins for single handedly reducing Yak's cap hit by 3M per for the next 2 yrs.

Great signing for both EDM and YAK.
It will probably **** us over when he scores roughly 60 goals over the next two seasons though. But there's no way you can justify handing him a 5x5 mil contract or anything like that right now.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
It will probably **** us over when he scores roughly 60 goals over the next two seasons though. But there's no way you can justify handing him a 5x5 mil contract or anything like that right now.

That's the best possible scenario. I would love to be ****ed on Yak's next deal, because it would mean he really turned a corner.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I can't believe there's some people in this thread that said this is overpay... He's making less then last year for crying out loud and you guys have seen the goals that have been allowed by our goalies. Our number one goalie is SCRIVENS!!! Let that last part sink in! Also, plus/minus is a bs stat

Not entirely true. Yes, his cap-hit was potentially higher last year if he hit his ELC bonuses (which I'm guessing didn't happen given his poor numbers), but his base salary was still around $900K.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
Uhh... I'm going to assume this is a typo, because Purcell is a -33 and Yakupov is a -35.

Hall's -1 isn't super fair either, given that he played 30 less games.

Eberle (-16) and Nuge (-12) combine for -28, which is what I'd consider 'close' to Yakupov's number.

That said, while I do think Yakupov can continue to improve defensively, the real room for growth is in his offence. If Yakupov had hit 50 points this year (which I think is a reasonable goal for him next season), he would have been at -18, very close to Eberle. If we had a reasonable defence (a man can wish, right?), all of our forwards would look even better.

Moreover, Yak had no luck this year. Under Nelson, we saw him hit so many posts, and be barely on the ice for so many goals again that he had nothing to do with. I can't imagine that his luck will stay so bad over the course of another full season away from Eakins.

Don't forget that alot of the minus Yak was out in the last minute trying to tie the game and there would be an empty net goal. Also, when protecting a lead he was not out in the last minute and missed some empty net goal points and +/- too.

I hate it when people say he's bad defensively he's not anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad