Confirmed with Link: Nail Yakupov signs 2-year extension ($2.5M AAV)

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I'm usually wrong in my initial reaction to contract signings, so I'm going to try and work in some reverse jinxing here:

This contract sucks. I hate it. Too much money and too much term.

Yeah, that should do it.

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
This is great for Yak, Great contract for Oilers cap. I'm happy we will hopefully see him develop for another 2 years, I think after this contract we will know exactly what we have in him.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I am really glad to have him signed before he hit rfa. You never know what is going to happen at that point. Maybe a GM ****s us with an offer sheet or a Russian team tosses a cheque book at him.

Now those fears are put to rest and the oilers can look into messing with someone else via offer sheet. Cough, Hamilton, cough.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Good signing. I thought he might be difficult to sign and would point to the ex-coach as the reason he was struggling and would want to be paid more for his coach-stunted potential.

When has Yak ever done something like that though? He's never been about the money

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
When has Yak ever done something like that though? He's never been about the money
I thought his agent would orchestrate that, based on him previously sticking his nose in. I should have clarified. I've seen too many contract squabbles, being a fan since before the 80s dynasty

I never thought he was about the money, but he hasnt gotten a fair shake here, and his agent called the team out on it. I'm glad Yak looked past that. Eakins cost Yak some money on this contract. Out of all the contract issues this team has had in the last few decades, this is one where the player deserves to be upset with management for lowering his value.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
I thought his agent would orchestrate that, based on him previously sticking his nose in. I should have clarified. I've seen too many contract squabbles, being a fan since before the 80s dynasty

I never thought he was about the money, but he hasnt gotten a fair shake here, and his agent called the team out on it. I'm glad Yak looked past that. Eakins cost Yak some money on this contract. Out of all the contract issues this team has had in the last few decades, this is one where the player deserves to be upset with management for lowering his value.

I think this just shows even more, how great of a person Nail really is. The only time his agent got involved, it was easy to wonder if that was Nails ego driving that. This proves all he wanted was competent coaching and decent ice time with formidable linemates. A fair shake, as you said.

I only wish more players would take fair value or even discounts to play here. Maybe Todd Nelson is the start of that, or maybe it's just Yak himself.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Master's champion at -35 picks up a huge paycheck... well played. :)

Seriously though... that's a reasonable deal and I knew Yak would be easy to sign... he's not all about the $$$$$$$ like "some" others are.

He obviously needs to keep improving and working on his game but my guess is that in 2 years that contract will look like a hell of a bargain.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Tough to be upset about this contract.

His next contract will be very interesting...Yak has a lot of work to do to become consistent at both ends of the ice.

He is still a question mark for me in terms of how he defines himself as a player moving forward.
I am not convinced he thinks the game well enough to evolve into a player worthy of being a #1 overall draft pick.

Why

Jan 15, 2014
Edmonton
Very happy about this. I like Yak and think hes improving. Funny what some confidence does....... Love his comments too about Nelson making a difference and making it fun to be at the rink again.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
So excited to see one full year of Nelson and Roy with this guy. Perhaps he may be lucky enough to have Hall flanked on the other wing. Or McDavid in the middle!

OHL line of Hall-McDavid-Yakupov OMG please happen.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
he can't resign for less than he is making right now i don't think... don't the oilers HAVE to give him a qualifying offer because of the circumstances that schultz signed under?

My understanding could be wrong, but I don't believe this to be the case. As I understand it, they can offer whatever they want, within the league minimum and maximum of course. However, if they offer less than his qualifying offer, and he doesn't take it, he becomes a UFA.

So, someone can correct me if I'm wrong, otherwise, they only need to offer what he is currently making if they want to be guaranteed that they retain his rights, otherwise, they offer what they want.

psowrc

Feb 21, 2015
My understanding could be wrong, but I don't believe this to be the case. As I understand it, they can offer whatever they want, within the league minimum and maximum of course. However, if they offer less than his qualifying offer, and he doesn't take it, he becomes a UFA.

So, someone can correct me if I'm wrong, otherwise, they only need to offer what he is currently making if they want to be guaranteed that they retain his rights, otherwise, they offer what they want.

And for the first time in years the Oilers actually offered a contract for what the player is presently worth. Any more than what the offer was, let him walk.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Seriously, can Edmonton please stop destroying Yakupov's career? I'm pretty sure them not letting him go to the national team is based on a lie. They fear an injury and invent something to prevent him from going.

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
Seriously, can Edmonton please stop destroying Yakupov's career? I'm pretty sure them not letting him go to the national team is based on a lie. They fear an injury and invent something to prevent him from going.
Yes, that makes total sense. :shakehead

Hugo McStiglitz

#BlameTheWater
Dec 27, 2010

Yep, the WHC tournament will be the pivotal moment in his career. :shakehead
Put on your tinfoil hat.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Just like they are doing with RNH who also isn't going after meeting with team doctors?

Yakupov likely has a nagging injury that should be rested. Has nothing to do with ruining his career.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Yep, the WHC tournament will be the pivotal moment in his career. :shakehead
Put on your tinfoil hat.

No offence, but he would have a chance to play on a winning team. And he'd build some relationship with the NT staff. Now he's a guy who wasn't there when called upon.

anyway what does the tinfoil hat gas to do with anything? It's all pretty simple. But if the Oilers don't want him to go, they should just say it.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
No offence, but he would have a chance to play on a winning team. And he'd build some relationship with the NT staff. Now he's a guy who wasn't there when called upon.

anyway what does the tinfoil hat gas to do with anything? It's all pretty simple. But if the Oilers don't want him to go, they should just say it.

Why would they not want him to go when they are letting other players go?

He's got an injury. It's no more complicated than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad