Confirmed with Link: Muzzin signs 4 years 5.625 AAV

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
We need to bring in a GM who knows what he's doing.

Then we need to make a ton of changes to reverse the mistakes he made.

As for Muzzin, I don't think he's a good buy at nearly $6M at his age. Based on our cap structure, he needs to be our long term #2 behind Reilly. I don't think that's a good tandem as the top pair.
In my opinion Rielly and Muzzin are quite equal. Basically, Rielly and Muzzin are both #2's. We need another #2 to round out our top 3D.

Reactions: kb

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I don't really get the plan on D. We're essentially going to bring the same group back next year and expect a different result.

I'd like to know who is penciled in as the shutdown pair right now. Holl and Muzzin??

Should probably wait until the off-season to see how things progress.

As it stands:

Rielly-xxxxx
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Liljegren
Dermott

Sandin/Liljegren with another off-season of development should be a positive. They have a lot of promise moving forward. They replace the likes of Marincin/Ceci getting regular minutes should be a boost.

Really the biggest question is the right side along Rielly and how they fill that gap. That's the critical decision of the off-season.

Another question is Dermott - he has had a tough sophomore season after a good rookie campaign on the third pairing. Still has a some good potential though. He also could be an asset used in a trade for a partner for Rielly. Or you're looking at using him or Sandin on the right side.

Beside that some veteran depth as a #6/#7 that is not Marincin would be great.

Reactions: Menzinger

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Fair deal for what Muzzin brings to the table, and I like the way it's structured.

What I like about it more is that Muzz seems to be saying, 'I want to be here, I believe in what we are doing'. This guy has been around, seen what it takes to go all the way, knows what a dressing room is like on a team that wins it all. If he thought the Leafs were a long way from being that, he could have bailed and received close to, if not more on the open market. I was so angry after the past weeks embarrassing efforts. I was really doubting the direction of the leadership and the core. I still have doubts, but Muzzin signing with a team that he doesn't believe in doesn't smell right to me. If this guy wants to be here I'm guessing it's because he likes what he sees. That to me is encouraging.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
We need to bring in a GM who knows what he's doing.

Then we need to make a ton of changes to reverse the mistakes he made.

As for Muzzin, I don't think he's a good buy at nearly $6M at his age. Based on our cap structure, he needs to be our long term #2 behind Reilly. I don't think that's a good tandem as the top pair.

Just because the D isn't working... doesn't mean you need to get rid of all 6 of them.

Rielly when healthy has proven more than capable of anchoring a top pair. Muzzin and Holl have actually looked somewhat reasonable as a top pair during Rielly's absence, ideally slotting in as a 2nd pair for what will now be less than $8m. Regardless of how many $11m forwards this team has, that's not a bad amount to be spending.

As another poster mentioned, they've got the following group under control for next year:
Rielly-____
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Liljegren
Dermott

Obviously there's a pretty big need at the top, and I don't think they have the cap space to make Pietrangelo work.... but they do have Dermott, Kapanen, Johnsson and Kerfoot who can be put on the block for a guy to fit into that role. From there, they'll probably look to a veteran Ron Hainsey-type to make Liljegren either the #7, or start him in the AHL.

Reactions: Menzinger and kb

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
Just because the D isn't working... doesn't mean you need to get rid of all 6 of them.

Rielly when healthy has proven more than capable of anchoring a top pair. Muzzin and Holl have actually looked somewhat reasonable as a top pair during Rielly's absence, ideally slotting in as a 2nd pair for what will now be less than $8m. Regardless of how many $11m forwards this team has, that's not a bad amount to be spending.

As another poster mentioned, they've got the following group under control for next year:
Rielly-____
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Liljegren
Dermott

Obviously there's a pretty big need at the top, and I don't think they have the cap space to make Pietrangelo work.... but they do have Dermott, Kapanen, Johnsson and Kerfoot who can be put on the block for a guy to fit into that role. From there, they'll probably look to a veteran Ron Hainsey-type to make Liljegren either the #7, or start him in the AHL.
Hope they can deal off depth at winter and pick up another solid Dman, but if it comes to this, I could live with:
Reilly - Holl
Muzzin - Lilligren
Sandin - Dermott

Not a true top pair, but solid 2A and 2B pairs.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Rielly-____
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Liljegren
Dermott

Honestly, all the teams D core m
Needs ia the right trade (or free agent signing) for a minute munching guy who can provide stability on that right side. Basically just a better version of Holl.

Should be achievable in the offseason.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
If you watch the Canes game, Muzzin was an absolute mess. So many turnovers. Unable to make a tape to tape pass
That was the majority of they player on the Leafs. Marner couldn't skate, multiple players tripped over the lines. It was an abomination.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Honestly, all the teams D core m
Needs ia the right trade (or free agent signing) for a minute munching guy who can provide stability on that right side. Basically just a better version of Holl.

Should be achievable in the offseason.

We may already have him, Dermott

He doesn't shoot right but his game does seem to be coming on after a period of stagnation and he's looking like a #4D to me

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

He doesn't shoot right but his game does seem to be coming on after a period of stagnation and he's looking like a #4D to me

Im hoping thats true.

Ive become a bit less enthused with him, but i keep forgetting he was injured

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Im hoping thats true.

Ive become a bit less enthused with him, but i keep forgetting he was injured

I was pretty meh on him to but you can see some growth in his game over his recent performances

He doesn't look as lost in his own zone now, he's winning puck battles, his decision making seems to be speeding up and he's moving the puck up ice far more efficiently, I thought he drove that pair with Holl last night in a shutdown role

I didn't think he was capable of that

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
In my opinion Rielly and Muzzin are quite equal. Basically, Rielly and Muzzin are both #2's. We need another #2 to round out our top 3D.
I disagree. Rielly clearly showed last year that when not injured he is a good #1. He got Norris talk last year. Don't judge a guy playing through injuries. Muzz is a rock #2... its 3-6 we have questions.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

I like Dermott too th thing with Dermott is he is now 100% expendable.

Dermott is a natural LD and now we have Rielly Muzzin and Sandin there which makes Dermott expendable

Dermott should be put in a package for a RD

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Hope they can deal off depth at winter and pick up another solid Dman, but if it comes to this, I could live with:
Reilly - Holl
Muzzin - Lilligren
Sandin - Dermott

Not a true top pair, but solid 2A and 2B pairs.

That would be an awful top pair Holl isn't nearly good enough for that.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I like Dermott too th thing with Dermott is he is now 100% expendable.

Dermott is a natural LD and now we have Rielly Muzzin and Sandin there which makes Dermott expendable

Dermott should be put in a package for a RD

Dermott can play on the right, he's also better defensively than a lot of the names people on here salivate over

If Dermott proves to be the player he's been over recent viewings trading him would be a gigantic mistake since he's what we're looking for

Strong skater
Good transitional defender
Can play on the right
Cheap for the short time medium term

That isn't expendable on this team

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Dermott can play on the right, he's also better defensively than a lot of the names people on here salivate over

If Dermott proves to be the player he's been over recent viewings trading him would be a gigantic mistake since he's what we're looking for

Strong skater
Good transitional defender
Can play on the right
Cheap for the short time medium term

That isn't expendable on this team

I think that right side needs to be completely redone and that means he has to go, as much as I like him, and I do.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Holl and Dermott are the solution if they continue playing like this, you don't do something unnecessary for the fun of it

It wouldn't be done for the fun of it, it would be done because it needs to be done.

Remember 2016 when the Leafs needed to change everything about their goaltending? Well now they need to change EVERYTHING about the right side of the defense.

None of it, literally NONE of it is good enough

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It wouldn't be done for the fun of it, it would be done because it needs to be done.

Remember 2016 when the Leafs needed to change everything about their goaltending? Well now they need to change EVERYTHING about the right side of the defense.

Holl has been very good in his role and Dermott is starting to get tougher QOC and more minutes without a massive drop off in effectiveness

Good luck trading for better than them

Reactions: kb and supermann_98

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Holl has been very good in his role and Dermott is starting to get tougher QOC and more minutes without a massive drop off in effectiveness

Good luck trading for better than them

Really you don't think we can trade for or sign better than Justin Holl? seriously?

I mean he started off well but ever since he got his new deal he has kind of fallen off.

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020

Holl is good for a 3rd pairing, possibly a 2nd. I agree they need a RD to play with Reilly next year, that should be dubas top priority

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad