Confirmed with Link: Muzzin signs 4 years 5.625 AAV

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Solid deal for Muzz. Happy he will be back. Not sure why he agreed to be back, but I'm happy nontheless.

Not sure anyone deserved any contracts after the game the other night, but hey....

Reactions: MsMeow

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Is it just some coincidence that everything went south in negotiations with just the big 3?

How south did they really go?

Matthews and Nylander are earning their contracts. Blame Leafs fans for their lack of talent evaluation skills.

Marner is overpaid by like... 8-12%, but he's a 90-100+ point player, so it's not like it's a bad contract or anything.

Reactions: Mansfield and IPS

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Muzzin, man... didn't you learn anything from Mitch?

Your demands should have started and ended with "I'm not accepting anything less than the Matthews' contract, that's my value to the team."

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Who cares

Next year playing with an ahl partner it's going to be beautiful watching his lack of speed

Good try dubas
You failed

Wasnt this suppose to only be announce March 1st due to some cap stuff?? Good try maple leafs you fail again
Buck up sport. Life isn’t all that bad.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Wasn't sure if this would materialize until it was reported a deal was getting close. The term is good, so the deal should hopefully work out fine.

Mar 26, 2010
Very happy that Muzzin has been re-signed, but interesting time to announce it. I guess Dubas is trying to take the attention off his failure to do anything at the trade deadline.

Happy to have Muzzin aboard! Good contract too.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I like it. Waiting to see what the money distribution looks like on yesr to yesr basis.

Bit thisnteam needs more vet leadership not less. And hes the teams best defensive D man. Cant let that go.

Keeping the term to less than 5 years was key. The team had a bottom pairing guy make 4+ mil for each of the past couple years for context...

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
Ever consider that maybe they held off on signing in case another opportunity came up at the deadline?

Nah, can't be anything reasonable. The most ridiculous and dramatic answer is always the correct one.
I’m not usually negative in the slightest but this was a pretty obvious PR stunt. This could’ve been announced earlier as it was reported as early as last week.

Happy with the deal either way.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Term is good. Price is fair. No expansion protection gives us an out if we want it

Our best defensive player.

Nothing to complain about

Personally, that's what I find very interesting about the deal -- that he either wouldn't pursue expansion protection, or that Dubas paid more to avoid giving it to him.

Very happy that Muzzin has been re-signed, but interesting time to announce it. I guess Dubas is trying to take the attention off his failure to do anything at the trade deadline.

Happy to have Muzzin aboard! Good contract too.

If the Leafs signed Muzzin before the deadline, it would have made it extremely difficult for them to bring in anyone with term next year at the deadline due to tagging constraints. Those constraints lift in mid march IIRC.

This deal was apparently done a couple of days ago, when it was determined that the Leafs failed in adding a defenceman with term at the deadline, there was no reason to delay the formalization of the contract any further.

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
I'm actually surprised Muzzin wanted to stay lol. I'll call it a huge win, I would left this tire fire the second the season ended.

Reactions: ponder

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Kind of pissed me off how they announced this 15 minutes after the deadline passed as if they held off in hopes this would distract the fans. Whether or not they should have did something else or not there's no way this was what they were finalizing at the deadline, they chose this time to announce it for a reason and it's just silly.

Reactions: MsMeow

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Had to sign him. How would it look if we let our only gritty dman walk ? Polak still playing and is slower. Muzz will be fine for 4 years. Now figure out what to do with Dermott and get a RHD than can spell DEFENCE.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Kind of pissed me off how they announced this 15 minutes after the deadline passed as if they held off in hopes this would distract the fans. Whether or not they should have did something else or not there's no way this was what they were finalizing at the deadline, they chose this time to announce it for a reason and it's just silly.

Any knowledgeable Leaf fan can see through this as many of you have posted. At least Kyle got one thing right today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad