Confirmed with Link: Muzzin signs 4 years 5.625 AAV

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
How the hell is it a media stunt? There have been reports recently that the deal was done but that the announcement had to be delayed because of some weird cap thing.

The "weird cap thing" is tagging room for next year, which increases on March 1st. If it was the weird cap thing then it wouldn't be done officially yet.

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I love Muzzin. Sure, he's made a few mistakes glaringly here and there, but every player does. It just seems more magnified in Toronto, especially when they're losing lots of games.

Reactions: Tairy Greene

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
How is Engval a bad signing? :huh:

It's his ELC.
Watch him.
Big.
Strong.
Fast.
Zero compete.
King of the flybys.
Not even his fault really.
It is how Dubas wants to play.
No emotion.
No hate.
No passion.
He could be really good.
Just watch only him when he is on the ice.
We have 10 guys like him.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
Good signing but loser GM saved this announcement to try and distract from his deadline incompetence.

Reactions: Al14

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
How the hell is it a media stunt? There have been reports recently that the deal was done but that the announcement had to be delayed because of some weird cap thing.
Because the fan base would be unbearable after not doing anything at the trade deadline? Quite obvious that they release this half hour before the deadline knowing people would be complaining about either not adding or trading off Barrie.

I’m not complaining about the deal. The timing isn’t a good look.

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
Good signing but loser GM saved this announcement to try and distract from his deadline incompetence.
Doing nothing isn't always the worst option. Did you ever consider there weren't good deals to be made? I wouldn't just trade Barrie for a 2nd when we still have a good chance of making the playoffs

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I like the player. I think the cap hit is probably appropriate, maybe a little rich but nothing to lose your you know what over. I just hope that whomever is the GM next season can find a way to balance this roster and make it competitive again. I want to see us get back to that TOR vs WSH series a few years back. That was the happy spot and trending the right direction, even the BOS series were both us being messed over by the refs tbh. Basically we need to get back to the Lou days and balanced team with respect, clean shave and a cone of silence. This team needs a military like regime change.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Dubas , how can I make it look like I didnt shit the bed at the TDL , give muzzin an extra 400K per year to sign him today

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Pretty fair deal based on the Myers and Stralman contracts from last off-season. Solid job Dubas.

I don't like the 4th year though - I hope he can still be a good bottom pairing defenseman by that time. I worry about his foot speed and general puck skills in those latter years.

But - one of the better leaders that has cup experience, and adds some size/grit. No one should complain much about this.

Also makes the trade last year considerably more worthwhile. A 1st and two B prospects for 5.5 years of Muzzin is good value.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Always thought that out of Muzzin, Barrie and Ceci we would keep one. And Muzzin was always the most likely.

Reactions: Smif

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
Doing nothing isn't always the worst option. Did you ever consider there weren't good deals to be made? I wouldn't just trade Barrie for a 2nd when we still have a good chance of making the playoffs

True, but it's still a cringe worthy attempt to distract from his inaction.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Dreger reported it, I think this is the first acknowledgment from the team. I could be wrong though.

The team isnt going to announce it before its done and official. McKenzie confirmed Dreger's report it was done in principle

It was widely reported the had to wait until X date (today?) because of certain cap related CBA clauses with regards to capspace committed to next year.

Reactions: Menzinger

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
The "weird cap thing" is tagging room for next year, which increases on March 1st. If it was the weird cap thing then it wouldn't be done officially yet.

???? They wanted to keep money available in case a trade for someone for term.

if they signed muzzin early. and say a Brodin trade comes up....... then they can’t.

Nothing came up. So they put it through.

I’m Not happy with the deadline either. But that one is pretty clear.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
You'd think the analytics' department would tell a story of how the last 2 years of this contract probably ends. Might end up saving face with a year or two of the GM's friend: the season long LTIR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad