Confirmed with Link: Muzzin signs 4 years 5.625 AAV

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Muzzin is the MVP on the defense. In a close game, u want him out there defending.

With the above being said, Reilly may want 8 milllion plus? The left side is over crowded. Dermott or Reilly wont be here after this summer or next year. Sandin is a draft pick of Dubas and i dont think he would move him. If Reilly is used as a rental and let him walk, its a failure by Dubas. If Reilly is resigned, Nylander/Marner would likely have to be moved.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Agreed, it is a steal but in a few years, age will catch up with him and we will have to bury him on the 3rd pairing. I love the signing.

That story I heard about him walking into a quiet Leaf locker room and tearing the paint off the walls with some spicy language because the Leafs played like S#!t, going after a few of the forward stars for playing half ass3d in their own zone, made me a bigger fan, this guy might not have a letter but he is a leader and the stars on this team respect him.
and that is very crucial on every team. especially with young guns who are entitled a lot, and might think they can get away with things easily.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Muzzin is the MVP on the defense. In a close game, u want him out there defending.

With the above being said, Reilly may want 8 milllion plus? The left side is over crowded. Dermott or Reilly wont be here after this summer or next year. Sandin is a draft pick of Dubas and i dont think he would move him. If Reilly is used as a rental and let him walk, its a failure by Dubas. If Reilly is resigned, Nylander/Marner would likely have to be moved.
Da CAP is staying same for at least 2 more years. So Rielly is going to have a hard time getting much more than $5M in this climate. Maybe he takes a 1 year deal at $5M to stay with team. If he wants market then we are gonna lose him. Quite frankly it is same for Freddy.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Da CAP is staying same for at least 2 more years. So Rielly is going to have a hard time getting much more than $5M in this climate. Maybe he takes a 1 year deal at $5M to stay with team. If he wants market then we are gonna lose him. Quite frankly it is same for Freddy.
Yep, going to be some tough decisions for players and management.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Well he is not getting the kind of raise he would have received had the cap gone up.

Honestly, I am less worried about making the cap work more than most. The only thing is that people need to get over the fact that we are not going to be able to get a conventional top pairing defenseman with our roster structure. We'd need to move one of the big forwards to do that or get lucky with Sandin/Liljegren. Otherwise, the Leafs have a guy whose job is pretty much making the cap work and being efficient. We just won't be able to frivolously throw our cap around on mid-tier players which we can easily replace with a strong drafting system and smart, bargain signings every year.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

I love Rielly and I think he is a more complete defender than Barrie but when Barrie is Barrie and he plays his game, there is no better offensive right side defender on the Leafs. Barrie is probably a better 2nd pairing d-man. With that said it is easier to find an elite left side defender than a right side defender. I think with the money Rielly will be looking for and the scarcity of a right side scoring defender, I think the difficult but obvious choice is to trade Rielly and keep Barrie. For Rielly I would target blue chip prospects, it helps with cost control over the next few years and replenishes the talent pool, which the Leafs are weak on. I think we would get a really good return for Rielly. Sandin is already a NHL defender and I think will be a good to very good d-man once he reaches his upside. We have a glut on the left side and we have a major black hole on the right side. It makes little sense to let Barrie walk.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Well he is not getting the kind of raise he would have received had the cap gone up.

Honestly, I am less worried about making the cap work more than most. The only thing is that people need to get over the fact that we are not going to be able to get a conventional top pairing defenseman with our roster structure. We'd need to move one of the big forwards to do that or get lucky with Sandin/Liljegren. Otherwise, the Leafs have a guy whose job is pretty much making the cap work and being efficient. We just won't be able to frivolously throw our cap around on mid-tier players which we can easily replace with a strong drafting system and smart, bargain signings every year.

Agreed I think we will need to settle on 2 really good top 2, 2nd pairing lines that are cap friendly. Dubas clearly wants to spend his money on the forwards.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I love Rielly and I think he is a more complete defender than Barrie but when Barrie is Barrie and he plays his game, there is no better offensive right side defender on the Leafs. Barrie is probably a better 2nd pairing d-man. With that said it is easier to find an elite left side defender than a right side defender. I think with the money Rielly will be looking for and the scarcity of a right side scoring defender, I think the difficult but obvious choice is to trade Rielly and keep Barrie. For Rielly I would target blue chip prospects, it helps with cost control over the next few years and replenishes the talent pool, which the Leafs are weak on. I think we would get a really good return for Rielly. Sandin is already a NHL defender and I think will be a good to very good d-man once he reaches his upside. We have a glut on the left side and we have a major black hole on the right side. It makes little sense to let Barrie walk.
Barrie will want too much money to retain.
Keeping him and moving Rielly would be a ballsy move no doubt. Not sure it makes sense to me, at least until we get a sense of what Rielly will sign for.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Muzzin is one of my favorites on the team. You give him any role and he can do it extremely well. He can shut down top competition, and plays a leadership role on the team as well. A nice mentor as well for the young kids on defence.
Dubas hit a huge homerun with this trade and then the resigning. The AAV is a bit higher then I want it, but you had to give him it, and it's only a slight overpay.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think he will get better over the next three years but thats just my sense of him.
I hope you are right. We really need him to at least give us 3 more top tier years. If he takes care of himself and trains hard then it is possible.

I always think he got his $$$ now. He has his Cups. He is back home now to raise his family. So it could be recipe for a "oh I got what I wanted outta hockey" when he finds it harder to train as he ages. Every guy is different I hope I am wrong.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Barrie will want too much money to retain.
Keeping him and moving Rielly would be a ballsy move no doubt. Not sure it makes sense to me, at least until we get a sense of what Rielly will sign for.

You have to think he will be in the 8mil + range. Trouba would be a good comparable. Ekblad is only 23? It feels like he's been in the league for 15 years...

PLAYERAGEPOSHANDEDCAP HITSALARY

1. Erik Karlsson

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
RDRight$11,500,000$14,500,000

2. Drew Doughty
29RDRight$11,000,000$12,000,000

3. P.K. Subban
30RDRight$9,000,000$10,000,000

4. Oliver Ekman-Larsson
27LDLeft$8,250,000$8,000,000

5. Jacob Trouba
25RDRight$8,000,000$12,000,000

6. John Carlson
29RDRight$8,000,000$12,000,000

7. Brent Burns
34RDRight$8,000,000$10,000,000

8. Victor Hedman
28LDLeft$7,875,000$8,000,000

9. Shea Weber
33RDRight$7,857,143$6,000,000

10. Ryan Suter
34LDLeft$7,538,461$9,000,000

11. Aaron Ekblad
23RDRight$7,500,000$9,000,000

12. Kris Letang
32RDRight$7,250,000$7,250,000

13. Marc-Édouard Vlasic
32LDLeft$7,000,000$7,250,000

14. Brent Seabrook
34RDRight$6,875,000$7,500,000

15. Mark Giordano
35LDLeft$6,750,000$6,750,000

16. Ryan McDonagh
30LDLeft$6,750,000$8,400,000

17. Ivan Provorov
22LDLeft$6,750,000$6,750,000

18. Cam Fowler
27LDLeft$6,500,000$7,500,000

19. Alex Pietrangelo
29RDRight$6,500,000$7,500,000

20. Keith Yandle
32LDLeft$6,350,000$5,750,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
obvious choice is to trade Rielly and keep Barrie.
Nope. Not happening. Rielly is a top 20 defenseman in the league. Trading him so you can retain an Offensive #2 guy(Barrie) is ridiculous.
Rielly will be resigned almost 100%. Trades will be made to make it work. Maybe he takes a 1/2 year bridge till the cap goes up?
And truly the cost difference between Rielly and Barrie will be minimal, with Rielly being the much better all round player.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Just wanted to go on the record to say I'm a fan of the Muzzin signing. I love what he brings to the table for this team, and think the Leafs were really smart to lock him up for essentially the rest of his useful years.

First of all, a look at the contract.

He projects to be a top pairing defenseman for 3/4 of those years, and a good top four defenseman for the last one based on his past performance and NHL aging curves. $5.6M is not a horrible price to pay for a top pairing defenseman, and this model projects we actually saved about $200k per season on his contract...which certainly isn't a steal, but it means we aren't getting ripped off here. Now obviously a projection like this isn't perfect. Some players age differently, injuries can change things, etc. But in general, it is looking like a perfectly fair contract.

Secondly, I just really like Muzzin as a player.

Compared to the rest of the Leafs' d-core, he brings so much versatility to the table. In fact, this model of player styles has him ranked the #1 most versatile defenseman in the NHL currently. His only weakness is skating and carrying the puck, but Toronto has plenty of d-men who can do that - one of them is Holl, which is why they've formed a successful partnership. He's pretty much the only defenseman Toronto has who is suited to munching tough matchup minutes, and he does it without relying on footspeed, so even if that declines with age, I don't think it will be overly detrimental to his game. He's a solid play-driver, and good penalty killer as well.

slates77

Mar 18, 2020
Love this contract, would have been perfect if it was 3 years but hey i'll take it either way

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The last year of Muzzin's contract will be played 1 year younger than when Hainsey won a cup playing 21 minutes a night for the penguins.

Excellent context.

Yes players will decline as they age, but some folks need to move past the notion that every player becomes a buyout candidate once they get passed the age of 32

Last edited:

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Excellent context.

Yes players will decline as they age, but some folks need to move past the mption that every player becomes a buyout candidate once they get passed the age of 32
Exactly this. Muzzin will decline, but probably won't just drop off a cliff. As long as the Leafs adjust his role according to what he can manage season to season, he'll be a great contributor to this team for all four years.

Reactions: Menzinger and kb

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Jeezus i know anything is possible but i hope they don’t trade Morgs. He has a modified Ntc that limits our options too. With this offense and his transition and zone exits being elite he could put up 60 points for 5 years straight if he’s healthy

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Just wanted to go on the record to say I'm a fan of the Muzzin signing. I love what he brings to the table for this team, and think the Leafs were really smart to lock him up for essentially the rest of his useful years.

First of all, a look at the contract.

He projects to be a top pairing defenseman for 3/4 of those years, and a good top four defenseman for the last one based on his past performance and NHL aging curves. $5.6M is not a horrible price to pay for a top pairing defenseman, and this model projects we actually saved about $200k per season on his contract...which certainly isn't a steal, but it means we aren't getting ripped off here. Now obviously a projection like this isn't perfect. Some players age differently, injuries can change things, etc. But in general, it is looking like a perfectly fair contract.

Secondly, I just really like Muzzin as a player.

Compared to the rest of the Leafs' d-core, he brings so much versatility to the table. In fact, this model of player styles has him ranked the #1 most versatile defenseman in the NHL currently. His only weakness is skating and carrying the puck, but Toronto has plenty of d-men who can do that - one of them is Holl, which is why they've formed a successful partnership. He's pretty much the only defenseman Toronto has who is suited to munching tough matchup minutes, and he does it without relying on footspeed, so even if that declines with age, I don't think it will be overly detrimental to his game. He's a solid play-driver, and good penalty killer as well.

Complete B.S calling Sandin one dimensional. Is that supposed to be taken seriously here. I would be embarrassed calling a kid one dimensional after a handful of games. I stopped reading right there

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
He also thinks that 457 minutes (406 in 2019-20) of hockey at the NHL level is a sufficient amount to be crowned best checker in the league.

Eb8_zduUMAE_6sT

Reactions: kb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad