Confirmed with Link: Muzzin signs 4 years 5.625 AAV

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Kind of pissed me off how they announced this 15 minutes after the deadline passed as if they held off in hopes this would distract the fans. Whether or not they should have did something else or not there's no way this was what they were finalizing at the deadline, they chose this time to announce it for a reason and it's just silly.
Nah, they had to wait until March 1st if they were going to be buyers at the deadline. Remember, they were looking for a player with term, not rentals.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
The "weird cap thing" is tagging room for next year, which increases on March 1st. If it was the weird cap thing then it wouldn't be done officially yet.
It would've if they added at the deadline which is why they signed Muzz at the very end of the day.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I don't really get the plan on D. We're essentially going to bring the same group back next year and expect a different result.

I'd like to know who is penciled in as the shutdown pair right now. Holl and Muzzin??

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
All front loaded too. Take that.

Timing of it pisses me off as clear media stunt but whatever.

Dubas holding off the announcement of this signing till after failing to make a a impactful deal at the deadline.

Contracts fine I guess. Would have liked a year less and at 5 million but who really cares about one more year. Muzzin is still a great number 2 defenseman. Wish we had a younger more agile/faster version of him on the right side to play with Mo instead of Tyson Barrie

Pretty sure I remember Friedman or someone else mentioning that they couldnt officially sign the contract until after the deadline because of how much money they have already committed to next season. After the deadline they can go above the limit by 10%.

Edit: Yup

Under Article 50.5 of the 2013 NHL Collective Bargaining Agreement, any team that is trying to re-sign a player to a multi-year contract after December 1 needs to have “Payroll Room.” Basically, Payroll Room is the difference between the cap ceiling and the total amount of all Average Annual Values (“AAV”) and bonuses for the team’s one-way contract players, any deferred bonuses applicable during the current season, any buyout amounts, any outstanding offer sheets, any qualifying offers, or any money earned from two-way players while those players are playing in the NHL.
It’s incredibly complicated but what it ultimately comes down to is that teams can only commit a certain amount of money to their team the following season, and that amount that they can commit increases at the beginning of March by 10 percent. Waiting to sign Muzzin until that time would also give Kyle Dubas as much flexibility as possible at the trade deadline to acquire players who might have term on their contracts beyond this season.

Any knowledgeable Leaf fan can see through this as many of you have posted. At least Kyle got one thing right today.
Ironic comment considering they were not allowed to officially sign the contract until 3pm today...​

Last edited:

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
If you watch the Canes game, Muzzin was an absolute mess. So many turnovers. Unable to make a tape to tape pass

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
I don't really get the plan on D. We're essentially going to bring the same group back next year and expect a different result.

I'd like to know who is penciled in as the shutdown pair right now. Holl and Muzzin??
I would hope Dubas has realized he needs to move a forward out and bring in a good defensive Dman

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
If you watch the Canes game, Muzzin was an absolute mess. So many turnovers. Unable to make a tape to tape pass
If you watch the Pens game, Muzzin was a stud, positive impact all over the ice.

Single game sample sizes don't mean shit. I've seen Gretzky, Hasek and Lidstrom have bad games. I think I once saw Andy Wozniewski have a great game! Doesn't mean anything.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Kind of pissed me off how they announced this 15 minutes after the deadline passed as if they held off in hopes this would distract the fans. Whether or not they should have did something else or not there's no way this was what they were finalizing at the deadline, they chose this time to announce it for a reason and it's just silly.

What if a GM offered 2 1sts for UFA Muzzin, the Leafs signed him to an extension and then have no chance at re-acquiring him as a UFA...

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
You'd think the analytics' department would tell a story of how the last 2 years of this contract probably ends. Might end up saving face with a year or two of the GM's friend: the season long LTIR.

That’s probably why 75% of the contract is paid out by the end of year 2. A cap hit of 5.6 is nothing to budget teams when the actual dollars are 3

Reactions: Menzinger

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
He tried that with Barrie and failed in spectacular fashion. Now you want him to take another swing? Scary.
So we should not sign Muzzin and not allocate money that is currently spent on offense to the defense?

What's your solution?

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
A team currently in the play offs.

‘tire fire’.
Do you honestly need that explained to you? We have not earned that spot despite the fact we're in. The state of the team and attitudes is 100% a tire fire. You can live in denial all you want, this isnt being negative. It's the situation we're in.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
So we should not sign Muzzin and not allocate money that is currently spent on offense to the defense?

What's your solution?

We need to bring in a GM who knows what he's doing.

Then we need to make a ton of changes to reverse the mistakes he made.

As for Muzzin, I don't think he's a good buy at nearly $6M at his age. Based on our cap structure, he needs to be our long term #2 behind Reilly. I don't think that's a good tandem as the top pair.

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
He tried that with Barrie and failed in spectacular fashion. Now you want him to take another swing? Scary.
You don't want Muzzin, you critique our current defense, and yet you don't want a trade to improve them. You're really living up to your name.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->