Dreger: Muzzin and the Leafs getting close to an extension

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I’m not trying to say it’s wrong or hopeful. It just has to be a very new piece of information and it probsvly is most likely speculation. I can see AAV being an issue for Armstrong as he is usually a prettt staunch negotiator and has said before we’d pay a superstar but I don’t know if we have any of those types of players. Term on the other hand with the most recent signings seems more like outside speculation given the most recent signings.

sorry I didn’t mean to be dismissive. Wife hates when I’m on the phone. Lol

I was surprised too. It seemed weird. He started
With J Bo and ended with ripping Cam Jansen.....

In the middle he just drops the “anyone’s guess” and some real odd things.

1.) I guess being 30 was the issue for the 8 years?
2.) GM is fine paying josi money........ but won’t do SB

which is weird. And Strickland specificallt mentioned how they took over trade with SB but somehow the GM absolutely refuses to put them in contracts he signs?

I don’t see the difference. It seems really dumb to me but it’s what was said

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
As a pretty avid blues fan. This is news to me, of which most of it doesn’t make any sense considering our ownership groups willingness to give Army the green light to spend whatever and the recent signings of Faulk and Schenn in which they received very good term. I’d be willing to bet Army is offering the captain and arguably our best player 8 years.

In terms of Muzzin I’d imagine it’s around 6m AAV

So, why hasn't Pietrangelo signed an extension then?

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
So, why hasn't Pietrangelo signed an extension then?

Could be a multitude of reasons. Pietrangelo has a poor by his standards regular season last season would be my best bet along with a shortened summer. I’m assuming as of now One side didn’t want to work it through the season. You could be right, I don’t know I just find it hard to believe we wouldn’t commit to Pietrangelo but we would to Faulk/Schenn.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Could be a multitude of reasons. Pietrangelo has a poor by his standards regular season last season would be my best bet along with a shortened summer. I’m assuming as of now One side didn’t want to work it through the season. You could be right, I don’t know I just find it hard to believe we wouldn’t commit to Pietrangelo but we would to Faulk/Schenn.

It is odd. I mean he could sign tomorrow and this is all useless.

but if any of this is true you can see why he hasn’t signed.

They traded for players with SB. But won’t sign a ufa with them.

they give 8 to Faulk. But not AP? This is conjecture but it seems like he was hinting that the owner didn’t want to pay big SB

If the leafs sign muzzin. They are out. But it seems like an odd line in the sand to draw with your captain

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016

That's what's so perplexing

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
It is odd. I mean he could sign tomorrow and this is all useless.

but if any of this is true you can see why he hasn’t signed.

They traded for players with SB. But won’t sign a ufa with them.

they give 8 to Faulk. But not AP? This is conjecture but it seems like he was hinting that the owner didn’t want to pay big SB

If the leafs sign muzzin. They are out. But it seems like an odd line in the sand to draw with your captain

Faulk is a couple of years younger, so perhaps that was a factor

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
5 x 5.5 sounds reasonable.

If I am Rielly, I would hope so. Let's face it, this is Dubas. It will probably be a nice number for Muzzin. Rielly's going to ask for 8 or 9M then, I just don't know where The Leafs will find the cap room when he is up and Hyman is due for a nice big raise too to compound the matter.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Faulk is a couple of years younger, so perhaps that was a factor

I am not so sure age was a big factor. Army has stated in his pressers regarding the Schenn contract at least that I know of that he knows those contracts could look rough in the latter years but he’s wanting to cut down AAV to keep this team as competitive as possible as the window is now. Just perplexing to me that Stricklands words would come with a full understanding of how negotiations are going. However, he is more reputable than I am and would know more than I do.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
4 years 5.35 is my guess.
The math gets daughting next year. I took a look at capfriendly. Gone are Horton and Clarkson on LTIR. Rielly is on it. But he won't be next year and they have $10,103,134 in capspace. If Muzzin signs for 5.35 or thereabouts and Rielly comes off LTIR. The math does not add up. They are over the cap. With Dermott, Barrie, and 5 fwd positions vacant. To put it mildly, it's complicated.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
If the math is that daughting then I suggest a tutor. Or don't do math. Leave it to the people who's brains won't hurt when doing simple math.
Here is a simple break down of the leafs cap "issues"

Muzzin at 5.5 million ( for argument's sake)
Barrie at zero as he walks
Dermott at 2.5 million (some people say less I say more)
the "5" forwards 4 will be league minimum so lets say 3 million total
The total above is 11 million.
Cap is going up by at least a million. Some say as high as 6.5 million.
Mikheyev is the tricky one. When he played he looked like a 50 point winger. But he has missed a ton of games.
His contract is going to depend on the cap.

See now that was easy. Your first tutor lesson on simple Cap math was free but next time I charge you.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Anything more then a total of 24m isnt going to be good.

Im gonna dislike this deal

2 x 11.5!

I really think it's going to be 4-5 years, 5.5-6 million. It's fair, and Muzzin has yet to 'cash in' in his career. He's not the type to bend the team over the barrel, but is anything less than that really fair value?

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I don’t really know how good or bad Muzzin has been this year but every time I watch a Leafs game or see a highlight where they get scored on and he’s on the ice he starts complaining to the ref within 0.2 seconds about one thing or another which makes him seem like a big f***ing baby

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
If I am Rielly, I would hope so. Let's face it, this is Dubas. It will probably be a nice number for Muzzin. Rielly's going to ask for 8 or 9M then, I just don't know where The Leafs will find the cap room when he is up and Hyman is due for a nice big raise too to compound the matter.
Of course it is a nice number. Probably more than a million dollars for playing hockey. Though Dubas pays his stars well he often gets the supporting players on low cost deals. He has been great. Hyman has, as you mentioned, has earned a big raise.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafsNation75

deeb

Feb 10, 2020
Based on the contracts dubas has been getting bent over on since becoming the GM I wouldn't be surprised with 8x8

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Maybe Dubas won't bother re-signing Andersen if Jack Campbell shows he can become their #1 Goalie. This way he can re-sign both Reilly and Hyman. So I think Toronto will be fine and they aren't in as bad a situation as you want them to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad