Dreger: Muzzin and the Leafs getting close to an extension

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Funny how that narrative has changed after it's been proven that matthews isn't close and many toronto fans claimed the exact opposite the first couple years he was in hte NHL.
What narrative are you talking about? The only time I ever heard anyone compare Matthews to McDavid is when someone from TSN compared their rookie seasons since they were back to back 1st overall picks.

It's the Oilers fans who are obsessed with Matthews and are acting crazy if McDavid isn't the centre of attention.

Reactions: Chompchompr

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
You’d have to think Muzzin starts at 6 per. He’s been under paid thus far in his career and is more valuable then just his stats suggest. You win with guys like him.

If he does Dubas a solid 4 x 6.25

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
You’d have to think Muzzin starts at 6 per. He’s been under paid thus far in his career and is more valuable then just his stats suggest. You win with guys like him.
An earlier poster has said "McKenzie just speculated on a 4 year term with an AAV starting with a $5 on the radio" his bolding. Though I think if anything, speculating should be the only part bolded.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
An earlier poster has said "McKenzie just speculated on a 4 year term with an AAV starting with a $5 on the radio" his bolding. Though I think if anything, speculating should be the only part bolded.
McKenzie and Jeff O'Neill also speculated the AAV for Muzzin would be at least $5,000,000 since they think he could possibly get $6,000,000 and maybe a 5th year if he became a UFA on July 1st.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Leafs fans were pretty happy to talk about Muzzin, any thoughts on what they should do with their left sided assets if they bring back Muzz?

Rielly, Muzz, Sandin and dermott are all definitely NHL defenders.
They also (assumingly) lose Barrie on the right side, let ceci walk. Holl and Lilj (so far) have looked good enough to cover the bottom 2 pairings on the right side, however.

Dermott, Sandin, or Rielly move to the right side until another option is present. From what I know Reilly and Dermott can play the right side. From what I have seen of Sandin ( yes it is very limited) it looks like his skill set would translate to the right side very easily.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
McKenzie and Jeff O'Neill also speculated the AAV for Muzzin would be at least $5,000,000 since they think he could possibly get $6,000,000 and maybe a 5th year if he became a UFA on July 1st.

That'd be a terrible contract that likely ends as a boat anchor. Nobody should sign a 31 year old physical defenseman with a ton of miles on him to a 5 year deal. I would hope GM's learned their lessons after that horrific 2016 UFA class where older guys got huge contracts galore and all of them ended up bad deals.

Even 4 years seems iffy to me but if it lowers the AAV it could end up fine but come on . Anything more is just straight up bad. Muzzin has a ton of hard miles on his body. Thats not a recipe for success.

Reactions: deeb

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Leafs fans were pretty happy to talk about Muzzin, any thoughts on what they should do with their left sided assets if they bring back Muzz?

Rielly, Muzz, Sandin and dermott are all definitely NHL defenders.
They also (assumingly) lose Barrie on the right side, let ceci walk. Holl and Lilj (so far) have looked good enough to cover the bottom 2 pairings on the right side, however.
I’m not sure the leafs can afford him. This is his one and only chance to cash in, I suspect he’s going to take all he can get from whoever will give it to him.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

I'd be perfectly happy with anything in the 5-5.75 range x 4 years

Reactions: LeafsNation75

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010

We not paying a 31 year old dman 6m lol.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Why hasn't Pietrangelo re-signed with the Blues yet?

Perhaps it's the same reason Tavares refused to re-up with the Islanders

Muzzin will be cheaper because he's an inferior player

Giving out big contracts isn't the problem, it's having average NHL players on the roster making 3 - 5 million

Leafs would be better served landing big fish, and then surrounding them with vets and young players making the league minimum

Big contacts are by definition self-limiting.

3-5 million for average players is the going rate set by the market. If every player was exactly as talented as every other player they would be valued at...$4M on an $81.5M cap. So, there you go. That's a fair contract. This isn't a philosophical problem, but a problem specifically for the Leafs. They can't afford to be paying fair prices on their depth since they saved only very marginally on their big core contracts -- Nylander is + value, Tavares is + value only relative to himself, and Matthews and Marner are not what would be called favorable to the team. Robbing Peter and all that.

Balancing the two is the whole gig. It's a zero-sum game. You can outplay the market only inconsistently, and that goes double for a league where player movement is unfortunately so impeded.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
A guy negotiating a long term deal at this point in the season indicates he wants to stay.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
A guy negotiating a long term deal at this point in the season indicates he wants to stay.

He has a good thing going in toronto it seems. He gets lots of ice time and it is a young up and coming team. Hope they find a reasonable middle ground without too much term and too much cap committment.

What are people thinking? 6 years x $5 mill?

Reactions: egelband

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
$5.99 million? ;)
the conversation he was having was alluding to Muzzin getting something like 5x$6M on the open market, so if I was guessing it would be in the upper half of the $5M range somewhere

there was lots of conjecture that Muzzin wants to be in Toronto and would take less term & dollars to do it, but that there was a tolerance for how much discount he would give

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
5 years is plenty of therm if he gets 7 it better be a GOOD cap hit

7 is excessive. I think he has 3-4 good years left not consideration any impact injuries might play. I think $5 million x 5 should be the max. Its not that we dont want him but once you get closer to $6 million it gets a little scary.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

I got absolutely torched in the playoffs last year. I'd want to see how he does this year before committing to $ and term.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I got absolutely torched in the playoffs last year. I'd want to see how he does this year before committing to $ and term.

Well apparently Dubas is attempting to sign him now. He’s the best 2 way defender on the team and it isn’t even close. I just find the offers in here for a top 2/3 defender with an excellent resume hilariously low. Posters saying how a 31 years old D can’t get 6 million. History shows UFA’s get paid and we or at least I was saying a 4 year term. Not 7-8 like the brutal Ladd, Lucic, etc deals. If Toronto doesn’t appreciate him, send him elsewhere

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
5x5 is what I would suspect. Hopefully it’s slightly less than that with a bunch up front so if we need to trade him we can.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad