Dreger: Muzzin and the Leafs getting close to an extension

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Wow somebody as anti Leaf as you giving out a compliment.

Shocking

I'm not anti-Leaf at all. I'd love to see the Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup.

I am anti-Dubas, because I think he has blown the best opportunity for the Leafs to ice a championship team in my lifetime. But just because I think he's bungled things doesn't mean I'm anti-Leafs. I'm born and raised in Toronto and find them entertaining to watch the last few years thanks to some high end talent. But I don't think they have a snowballs chance in hell to win with the way the team is constructed and I find it really frustrating.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

I am anti-Dubas, because I think he has blown the best opportunity for the Leafs to ice a championship team in my lifetime. But just because I think he's bungled things doesn't mean I'm anti-Leafs. I'm born and raised in Toronto and find them entertaining to watch the last few years thanks to some high end talent. But I don't think they have a snowballs chance in hell to win with the way the team is constructed and I find it really frustrating.
How did he bungle things up? He's spent the better part of two years trying to clean up Lou's mistakes with Martin/Zaitsev/Marleau. Once this summer hits we can actually start to evaluate him properly.

Reactions: Dragao6

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010

Honestly I think he's building an incredible team. Very well rounded. If we had gotten league average goaltending all year we'd be up there with Tampa and Boston.

Finally adding some grit in the past year with Clifford, Muzzin and some gritty prospects now is the touch we needed

Reactions: ViewsFromThe6ix

deeb

Feb 10, 2020
A 31 year old Muzzin is the type of player you thank for his services and let go. Heavy and heavy-footed players like him don't age well at all.

Leafs have good cheap young guys on the left side anyway.

That are worse than Muzzin on an already decrepit defense?

I'm sure that will end well for the laughs....

Hint: look at the blue lines of teams that have won anything as of late.

deeb

Feb 10, 2020
Matthews is an overpayment but not a "gross overpayment". The same way Panarin is an overpayment.

At most those guys are making ~$2 mill too much but Matthew's or Panarin at $9.5M would be great contracts and nobody would complain. Both of them should be around $10.5M

John Toews is a gross overpayment

Splitting hairs.

Add up all the overpayments on the roster and that's a good start to fixing the defense.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Splitting hairs.

Add up all the overpayments on the roster and that's a good start to fixing the defense.

Matthews and Marner are the only overpayments and both are only ~$1-1.5M overpaid.

Tavares is overpaid NOW but when he signed the contract TML were desperate. And Tavares is a good captain and leader...still a PPG player.

Funniest part is that Nylander has a great contract.

If TML want to get better...trade Marner for 2 defenseman. Can get an excellent prospect and NHL ready Top 4 player and probably some picks.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Why is it allowed to just shit on the team? This thread is about Muzzin deal last I checked, and last 3 pages are about how shitty of a team they are, how bad the GM is, and how their players are all going to leave in UFA.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Trade him on Monday if that rumoured deal is on the table. 4 years is a bad idea. Hard miles on him and not fleet of foot to start with. If Dubas wants to continue with the puck possession approach he says he wants.....Muzzin is not the player for that system.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Did Dreger get another scoop on the Leafs?:sarcasm:

Anyway, great contract for Muzzin. Very team friendly when he could have held out for 5-6 years. It's good to see these contracts not go past 34 years of age.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Trade him on Monday if that rumoured deal is on the table. 4 years is a bad idea. Hard miles on him and not fleet of foot to start with. If Dubas wants to continue with the puck possession approach he says he wants.....Muzzin is not the player for that system.
4 years is fine

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
4 years at $5.5 million AAV is right where Muzzin should be at, so that seems really believable. There was no way he was going to come in at less than $5 million on his extension.

Reactions: ToDavid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad