OT: Music

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Feeling nostalgic I just put on "The Decline" volume one, the good one and got all misty eyed watching the Circle Jerks and the Germs. Allot of other good music on the album. Those were absolutely the days.

drugold

drunk, goals&swagger
Jul 13, 2009
Brisbane,
Feeling nostalgic I just put on "The Decline" volume one, the good one and got all misty eyed watching the Circle Jerks and the Germs. Allot of other good music on the album. Those were absolutely the days.

This post made me listen to NOFX's the decline. First song I heard by them.

Also heres some photos of my brother-in-law, sister and myself at my first Stadium Gig. 2 hours of Rock = one snuck in bottle of vodka

I never knew Gollum was in ACDC

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
NOFX

I have a few good stories with those guys and they are still as good today as ever.

So many great bands around them too. Of course epic albums like Lagwaggon's Hoss, most of Hot Water Music and even PieBald's first cd are all good too. Some love Pennywise, I knew them a little bit and while great guys I didn't find too much there on a consistent basis but when they would come through they were very good.

Box Car Racer put out some good music as well.

Last night I pulled out Tones on Tale and had a good fun hour remembering.

If you want to listen to a band that was poised to be HUGE in L.A. late 70's early 80's pull up the last. I don't really know how to describe them but I was lucky enough to have been friends with the three brothers who founded the band each of them went on to success in the music industry.

L.A. Explosion was released on Bomp records in the late 70's and the band was selling out some pretty big shows. They got their first album on a bigger label and it was so over produced that it literally took all of the steam out of a great band. The band went on for years and got better and better as they did releasing some great indy records and a few overseas efforts too.

They are a fun listen when you aren't sure what your in the mood for, never disappointing.

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
Beastie Boys

I've been listening to the new Beastie Boys album. Make Some Noise is probably my favorite.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Not to mention that the beastie boys were a solid punk band before they became Ill.

Egg raid on mojo was a big favorite of mine.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
So much good stuff!

tumblr_ljnfjqU7mB1qbzahao1_400.gif

I went and saw J Mascis of Dinosaur Jr and Black Heart Procession the other night at Alex's Bar in Long Beach. I will say I was a little disappointed because for some reason I thought it would be J Mascis and the Fog playing but it was just a solo acoustic show. It was still cool to see him and overall the show was good. I love that venue though. $1 beers.. awesome! They are gross but they are only $1.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
For my money a good friend of mine John Cale does the definitive version of Cohen's Halleluja. I had a chance to spend two weeks on the road with the VU member and he is truly a genius. His live in france version of this song literally broke me down and everyone in the place as well.

He has a few other songs that are believe it or not equally powerful and great. Easily worth a listen and more.

By the way, Jeff Buckely is often credited with the Shrek soundtrack version of the song but take a listen at the two of them and tell me who you think sang the song for the film.

If you have the time and are feeling nostalgic I just re listened to my "The Damned" hits and there are several (6 or 7) exceptional songs there.

While sitting here feeling sorry for myself (stoopid cracked pelvis is giving me fits) I listened to Joy Division hits and was happy that I did.

Again, if your feeling nostalgic they are both great listens.

I finished an OM made of Hard Cedar for the back and sides and a Northern California Redwood deck (really dense soundboard) this past December that is a presentation model for another luthier down in SoCal but I have been playing it allot while I am trying to rehab my wrist and it is the perfect instrument for softly strummed singer songerwriter songs.

I even had fun playing Danzig's "Mother" on it for my niece the other day and it sounded a little bright but still very good if I do say so myself. Now if I still had hands and a bit more talent...........

Everyone should play an instrument, no matter what. Heck go pick up a tenpenny whistle and learn how to play that for fun. They are very easy to play and you can riff along to anything with one. If not that a harmonica is a fun cheap alternative and if you want something more then by god go get it and play.

Putting away soapbox.

One more singer/songerwriter that I have listened to lately is Alexi Murdoch. I met him at the old Amoeba records in L.A. about ten years ago (shocked that it is that long ago) and he is a smart great and talented song writer. Allot of his music is available at his website and on youtube. He had a song on a tv show years ago that got him a little popularity called Orange Sky, its a good one. He has many others.

drugold

drunk, goals&swagger
Jul 13, 2009
Brisbane,
There is a band I haven't heard in a while. Do they still play? I know their guitar player was going to play with NIN or something and I don't know if that ever happened or not.

Aaron North (Guitarist) ended up quittin and playing for NIN for the teeth album. Then fell apart with Trent and now god knows. I think he has a band but I havent chased it up. Man I wish I could have said Ive seen Mascis while downing buck beers
Tonnel, Rufus Wainwright. I didnt even get the chance to guess. It came up with his name on youtube. Took away my fun. No way your a luthier. How do you have so much time for chilling out with Kitsyn, making presentation guitars and chilling out with us on HF boards. Amazing.
I never really listened to much Damned. Probably too late to start now

DIEHARD the King fan

Apr 6, 2008
blueline to slot
While sitting here feeling sorry for myself (stoopid cracked pelvis is giving me fits) I listened to Joy Division hits and was happy that I did.

One more singer/songerwriter that I have listened to lately is Alexi Murdoch. I met him at the old Amoeba records in L.A. about ten years ago (shocked that it is that long ago) and he is a smart great and talented song writer. Allot of his music is available at his website and on youtube. He had a song on a tv show years ago that got him a little popularity called Orange Sky, its a good one. He has many others.

Joy division was so good. So many bands cite as being insipirational

I LOVE AMOEBA RECORDS.

The only place you can buy records, and one of their record buyers keeps trying o get me to sell him my collection. The answer is alwys the same. NO CHANCE

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Joy division was so good. So many bands cite as being insipirational

I LOVE AMOEBA RECORDS.

The only place you can buy records, and one of their record buyers keeps trying o get me to sell him my collection. The answer is alwys the same. NO CHANCE

I gave my collection to my son who now has over 900 records which isn't a huge collection but not a bad one either. He is half way through cataloging and recording to computer most of it and I can't wait.

I agree, hang on to em.

There is a great shop in Long Beach that is a true record store and deals in both modern and vintage records.

I think it is on 4th but I am not sure.

Do you have any entire collections of specific bands? I know that we have all of the Germs, Bad Religion (including imports and bootlegs) and all of the Zepplin and the Stones (imports/bootlegs etc) as well as Iggy and on and on. I am happy to talk swap on some of our (his) doubles and or anything that you might be looking for as long as it is the same for both of us.

DIEHARD the King fan

Apr 6, 2008
blueline to slot
Slightly different genre than most of the other posts here but, this is the MUSIC thread, Right?:

Saw an awesomely entertaining concert last night with Jr and another attorney:

Stanley Clarke's 60th birthday party celebration at the Catalina Bar and Grill in Hollywood

First off, if you've never been to this venue, you are missing out. Its in an office building one block east of Highland on the north side of Sunset. You enter the courtyard of the building though its parking lot on McCadden and there is a single door entrance to this very intimate night club on the ground level.

He played two shows last night one at 8, the other set for 10, but he played long on the first show and didn't start til close to 11 for the late show. (he played to just before 1:00 am)
Glad we got there early for the late show because standing in the courtyard waiting for the first show to let out you could hear everything, and the two sets were not the same.

Early on during the late show he asked the crowd if he could delve into the songs he wanted to play for his own birthday, and no one hearing could or would say "no" or in any way be upset. We didnt know it then, but we were in for a treat.

If you don't know who Stanley Clarke is, your knowledge of the Bass guitar is lacking. Aside from having the Best Modern jazz album of the Year last year (so say the Grammy's) he is considered the leading virtuoso of the Bass, both stand up and electric, and he plays the electric bass in a manner to rival how the best guitarists play their guitars. The first part of the show was very old school with him thumping away on the stand up bass, and the second part was much more modern rock jazz and R and B.

He finished out bringing up the former Keyboardist from Earth Wind and Fire, Larry Dunn (his neighbor) for an 15 minute long unbelievably rocking version of "Shining Star" with a few bars of "Thank you for letting me be myself" thrown in for good measure.

He also performed one on my favorite Stanley Clarke/Jeff Beck songs "Rock 'n Roll Jelly" during which he had several other bassist come on stage including Barry Blomberg and Bunny Brunell who he proceeded to battle (go back and forth with) each one upping the other to play faster or funkier. It was so damn good.

Even Jr., who said after the first song that I could just imagine him in an elevator through the whole show if it stayed like it was at the beginning, was rocking out by the end and totally impressed. He even put on the Stanley Clarke Disk in the car this morning on the way to hockey and was listening to it while waiting for me in the car my pick-up game ended.

Jr took a bunch of pics with his i-phone, so I'll post some of those later but here's one i took with the crappy camera on my phone:

Last edited:

drugold

drunk, goals&swagger
Jul 13, 2009
Brisbane,
Cool story! Sounds like a interesting venue. My knowledge of bass guitar doesnt delve past rock. No slap and tickle unless its Primus.

I have some records. I Mainly have 7" ep's from bad punk bands and newer bands that would print vinyl only versions of an ep/lp.

I do have a copy of Face to Face's econolive. That is about as rare of a record I have lol! Oh and AFI's fly in the ointment ep. Both are long out of print. The AFI record is prob actually worth some $. the face to face is out of print AND the master was destroyed in a fire so they'll prob never re-print that.

My old record player broker two moves ago so I bought a Crosley player from target and it really sounds like ****.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad