OT: Music

DIEHARD the King fan

Apr 6, 2008
blueline to slot
Also on a different note anything ever written or performed by Dirt McGirt aka New Baby Jesus, Big Baby Jesus, Ol Dirty *******. ODB etc. I am not too into hiphop/rap but that guy was something else.

Im not big on hip-hop or rap either, but I always liked Kool Mo Dee. His songs where he battles/ disses on LL Cool J are classic put downs on a monumental level:

LL stands for lower-level, lack-luster, last-least, limp-lover, lousy-lame, late- lethargic, ...." and it goes on from there

The beats are not bad as well
but the lyrics are just pure gold for put downs

Soooooo many great bands/act's listed in this thread that it should be a permanent sticky.

Tony???? Telos???? Live in the Here and now?

fyrescorp

Apr 19, 2006
If we're going down that road add Carole King and Joni Mitchell in too.

And although hers was not a "pretty" voice, if your going for female vocalists of that era NO LIST is CLOSE TO COMPLETE if it doesnt include Janis Joplin.

[Diehard leaves room to go to the CD rack ]
(add one more CD -- Joplin's greatest hits) to put into the car today

Janis is my absolute favorite female from that era. My sister saw her live at the Earl Warren Showgrounds in SB. I used to have the actual concert poster but have since lost it. Janis could wail the Blues! Surprisingly another who could belt it was Mama Cass. When she performed alone and sang the Blues it was incredible.

drugold

drunk, goals&swagger
Jul 13, 2009
Brisbane,
Photos or it didnt happen!

I got started in photography shooting concerts. I have been to over 500 easily. I've seen 311 75+ times and Incubus 45+ times...so, it must be well over 500 concerts total....anyhow, At The Drive-In was the best concert I have ever seen.

Mars Volta just needs to work with Rick Rubin more. Omar doesn't know how to edit down the songs for album play right. All those parts are fun live but, it gets tiresome listening to it live. They need Rick to tell them which parts to leave off the album to keep the songs from losing their cohesion.

Rick Rubins success rate is unbelievable. Does he have any flops?
Maybe Omar wants to cull fans that arent into psychadelia. Will ATD-I ever come back?

drugold

drunk, goals&swagger
Jul 13, 2009
Brisbane,
Oh man, does the Velvet Underground take me back. Unfortunately those albums are gone (about 500-600 remain).

Pulling the VU greatest hits CD out for the car today

I got the box pack for my birthday three years ago. And also some doubles that ive found second hand and just bought for the sake of buying VU

Girls....singing. Im going to have to have a think about this one.

*edit* Thought about it and done some research.
Did you know that Mariah freaken Carey has the record for most female single number one hits? 17? How in hells name.

I like my voices slightly obscure.

Not really belonging in the likes of the greats but neither is Mariah Carey :p:

Last edited:

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
One of the best and most under appreciated musicians of all-time. Best concert I ever saw was Prince in 2006 in Las Vegas. Concert started at Midnight and ended at 5:30am. Prince said "I'm gonna play till the sun comes up" and as the sun cracked through windows... He stopped.. Did nearly every style of music Pop, Soul, Hard Rock, Hip Hop, Jazz, and Blues... BLEW MY MIND!

I got started in photography shooting concerts. I have been to over 500 easily. I've seen 311 75+ times and Incubus 45+ times...so, it must be well over 500 concerts total....anyhow, At The Drive-In was the best concert I have ever seen.

The energy and musicianship was outta control. This was right after Relationship of Command came out. The next time I saw them was the month they broke up. That show was just as insane but, more of a downer because you could tell they didn't want to be there at that point.

Just the same, most intense energy band.

Other bands that have come real close with bringing that energy live: Incubus in 1998 (S.C.I.E.N.C.E. tour), These Arms Are Snakes (the last two years before they split), and Thursday (Full Collapse tour). Just balls out all over the stage and in the fans' faces craziness.

Mars Volta just needs to work with Rick Rubin more. Omar doesn't know how to edit down the songs for album play right. All those parts are fun live but, it gets tiresome listening to it live. They need Rick to tell them which parts to leave off the album to keep the songs from losing their cohesion.

The newest album is pretty great. Omar has come a long way since their second album. But, it still needs some work. The first track should not take ****ing two minutes for the music to start up. That's just obnoxious. It's not artistic and suspense building or whatever he was going for.

Now there is a great band. I never saw them play and I didn't realize they stopped playing either.

Some great instrumental bands I like are Pelican, Red Sparrows and the Cancer Conspiracy.

I saw somebody post Tom Petty and he is one of my favorites of all time because Full Moon Fever was one of the first tapes I bought with my own money is saved up. I remember buying it at Target when I was about 8 years old and I was so happy.

Another favorite that never gets old are the Beach Boys. Love 'em.

So anyone listen to music they are embarrassed to admit? Haha! I have Sarah McLachlan all over my iPod. I love her. I love a woman playing a piano. I heard this girl on top 40 radio named Sara Bareilles and I ended up getting her album too. It isn't that great though but I do really like a few songs.

One of my top 10 favorite hip hop albums:

The-Pharcyde-Bizarre-Ride-II-The-Pharcyde.jpeg

fyrescorp

Apr 19, 2006
One of the best and most under appreciated musicians of all-time. Best concert I ever saw was Prince in 2006 in Las Vegas. Concert started at Midnight and ended at 5:30am. Prince said "I'm gonna play till the sun comes up" and as the sun cracked through windows... He stopped.. Did nearly every style of music Pop, Soul, Hard Rock, Hip Hop, Jazz, and Blues... BLEW MY MIND!

When I first saw this I honestly thought Prince was going to suck, but I loved his solo in this

wabwat

Aug 11, 2003
pasadena, ca.
Visit site
Due to many reasons I have had to stay somewhat current and with kids (I was 20 w\

The Arctic Monkeys are a really good band and have written some good music since their debut record. They sound like a merging of "the last shadow puppets" and "babyshambles" or "The Strokes" to me but I like them.

All good stuff.

you realize Alex Turner is in the Last Shadow Puppets, right?

since they recorded with Josh Homme in 2009, i think their sound has turned into a brit-pop version of Queens of the Stone Age.

their producer (and Last Shadow Puppets drummer) James Ford's Simian Mobile Disco project is just nasty.

fyrescorp

Apr 19, 2006
hope you brought an umbrella

the fact that she admitted to pissin' herself....she's all yours

The older you get, the wider your spectrum. I'll take her ( post crack ) :)

BTW if didn't **** every woman that pissed herself, I'd be a lonely guy :yo:

Wow, have I had too much to drink tonight?

drugold

drunk, goals&swagger
Jul 13, 2009
Brisbane,
This thread is still missing some bits so I will bump.
**** quality but I cant find a better one for my fav pixies song

Weve had Dinosaur Jr but no one has mentioned anything Moore?

its duck hunting weather. GO KINGS GO

DIEHARD the King fan

Apr 6, 2008
blueline to slot
hope you brought an umbrella

the fact that she admitted to pissin' herself....she's all yours

If you couldnt get past that to have a romp around or three with her, me thinks your standards' need tweaking.

(Ew, Oops! Considering her prior problems -- Maybe a bad choice of words there) lets change that to your standards need some adjustment.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Photos or it didnt happen!

Rick Rubins success rate is unbelievable. Does he have any flops?Maybe Omar wants to cull fans that arent into psychadelia. Will ATD-I ever come back?

Trans-Continental Hustle by Gogol Bordello - While still decent, it isn't nearly as good as Gypsy Punks, or Super Taranta.

War of Art by American Head Charge - While a great great (if you like metal) album it was pretty much a financial flop that caused AHC to end up as a shadow of their former selves on their later albums.

So really depends on what you consider a flop, but those are the only two I can think of.

21Dog

Mar 29, 2007
Tulare, Ca
Saw Beck two years ago at the El Rey.

Can't seem to get a You Tube video of the show to work on this site.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->