OT: Music

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Trans-Continental Hustle by Gogol Bordello - While still decent, it isn't nearly as good as Gypsy Punks, or Super Taranta.

Yea, those two are classic Gogol. The Taranta show at the Mayan was one of the best I've ever seen. Good for them for playing bigger shows with System, but it is depressing in a way because Gogol is a band that really shines in a more personal setting.

Anyone else going to Rammstein next month? Haven't been in the Forum since the last Kings game there.

drugold

drunk, goals&swagger
Jul 13, 2009
Brisbane,
Oi, im drinking and im a sucker for covers.
What are YOUR fav covers?
My friends supported Kate Nash in Brisbane last month. Listen to this cover. It makes me happy after a duck ****ing

agentfouser

Playoffs?!?!
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles
Oi, im drinking and im a sucker for covers.
What are YOUR fav covers?
My friends supported Kate Nash in Brisbane last month. Listen to this cover. It makes me happy after a duck ****ing

Kate Nash is brilliant, and since you're an Arctic Monkeys fan, check out here cover of Florescent Adolescent.

drugold

drunk, goals&swagger
Jul 13, 2009
Brisbane,
bump. anyone got any new music?
I like Boris. reminds me of james iha from the smashing pumpkins full shredding

the xx , pure relaxing music. well written and simple

fyrescorp

Apr 19, 2006
Thanks for making this a sticky!

Sorry I can't really get into the posted tunes. I know they're great for some, not for me. Lately I've gotten into more Bluesy stuff, slower and faster tempo like Leon Russell, Allman Bros and older Clapton. The influences of 60's British rock like Elmore James, John Lee Hooker and Muddy Waters are outstanding! I guess reading Keith Richards book "Life" will do that to you...:)

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Leon Russel is really good. Ahead of his time during his time. John Hiatt is good and sort of in the same category but not entirely so, still a good listen. For fun riffing I like going after the greats, muddy, blind, earl lee etc.

I am spending allot of time listening to The Mountain Goats and Roddy Frame. Both great song writers and really cool people. Gear Heads to boot and those kind of guys are always worth a listen. Allot of acoustic but some of it has its own edge and it is all honest.

Boris is good and fast heavy, I like it.

There is a band that I saw in San Francisco called OHM that is heavy good interesting.

Speaking of the city by a body of water there is a new Captain Beefheart comp out (or it has been out for a little bit) and it is fun.

Also if you like leftover crack chocking victim is right up your alley. In my opinion they are the same band for the most part.

A Crushing Blow is a really good fast guitar driven band that understands melody and meter and knows how to use them both in heavy rock/indie/funpunk sound. A mix of Tool and Smashing Pumpkins with a better singer.

I have come to fall in love with Kate Micucci's simple honest direct music. Yes I know that there are very many great artists like her but she is a good one on her own.

Early Velvet underground is still on my ipod and good but I spent a couple of hours today just listening to Iggy live from 76/77. He remains the guy who really inspired the entire punk sound movement to me and if you listen to him with the stooges early on and then up to 77 and beyond his stuff stood on its own and even more so does today.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Foo Fighters
The Offspring
Styx
Kansas
Zeppelin
Scorpions
Metallica
Def Leppard
Sum41
Sublime
Coldplay

are some of my favorites.

I love all music though.

drugold

drunk, goals&swagger
Jul 13, 2009
Brisbane,
I'd never heard of Leon Russel until now. great voice. like really really good. also a top notch pianist. Going to delve into aa few more artists I havent heard of that you mentioned like Elmore James and the Allman Brothers.

Tried finding some music by A Crushing Blow and found a video of Kulikov. I also need to listen to some Captain Beefheart. I remember trying to listen to it when I was a teenager and I wasnt quite ready. Any songs you recommend?

Same with Kansas. I havent heard of them either
Oh and Iggy Pop. I saw the Stooges for the first time about 4 years ago and they still made me wet myself. Once i was finished with pop punk as an early teenager i wanted to find out its lineage. Thats when **** started getting good for me

edit* just listened to some more Beefheart. I quite possibly may never be ready for this. It gives me more anxiety than Pink Floyds Ummagamma

Last edited:

agentfouser

Playoffs?!?!
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles
A band my wife found, they're pretty awesome. I think they're playing in LA next month.

Oh, the xx are awesome, I dig them but don't know a ton of their stuff.

fyrescorp

Apr 19, 2006
As to Beefheart, I know how you feel. I'm the same with Zappa, never really got it.
"Leon Live" is one of my favorite CDs (albums). Big fan of the Honky Tonk piano sound. I first saw him on the "Concert at Bangla Desh" movie. He's is great at meddleys. "Queen of the Roller Derby/Roll Away the Stone" is my favorite. I wish it would have gone on at least 20 more minutes. "Stranger in a Strange Land" gives you a great flavor.

I'm just a big fan of live music and recordings, not so much polish. I love the rough edges and improv.

Elmore James plays a MEAN slide. He was the model Brian Jones used in the early Rolling Stone days. Brian Jones may have been a huge train wreck but he was a brilliant musician (when he wasn't stoned out of his gourd)
Enjoy!

DIEHARD the King fan

Apr 6, 2008
blueline to slot
Never saw Leon Russell but wish I had (i think he's currently touring(who isn't)).

Captain beefheart --- going Waaaaaaaaaay back.

but V.U. is always fine w/ me.

If your listeing to bluesy stuff or getting into older types of music go to i-tunes and type in Jeff Beck Rock and Roll party. Its all the music he played on his tour which is solely a tribute to Les Paul. There are some great old rock standards, and the vocalist he toured with, Imelda May, not only has a great voice but is one sexy lady in the 40-50's lounge singer model. My son downloaded me the whole extended album on one of the free sites. it has about 30 songs, and Beck tears it up on each one, as he did in concert.

I miss me some Allman Brothers, pulling the greatest hits CD now for the drive across town for this afternoons court appearance. Whiping Post, Jessica, one way out. I have eat a peach on LP, I'll put that on this PM.

I have lots of old Zappa, but I havent been in that mode or mood for a long time!!!!

fyrescorp

Apr 19, 2006
Jeff Beck is phenomenal. I think there is a special on cable TV somewhere, maybe Ovation (?), and it is great!

I've been an ABB fan forever. I saw them at the Greek Theater (3rd row center!) with Derek Trucks. That dude is mesmerizing on the slide. Also saw Gregg Allman at the Ventura Theater 2 weeks later. Amazing. The mix of southern blues with jazz is great. Sorry so many adjectives but they were really great.

Lately I've been listening to Pandora's Blues Rock station. Definitely a favorite :yo:

drugold

drunk, goals&swagger
Jul 13, 2009
Brisbane,
Pardon for the Stereotype but by any chance are you between the ages of 17 and 23and go raving for 10 hours at a time? I use to like this style when i was that age but as soon as i stopped drinking and clubbing I felt no need for it.

My wife is staring at me funny. Her eyes currently are saying what the ***** are you listening to? Have you taken extasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad