OT: Music Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Dont think i mentioned this -- Local guy -- phenomonal guitarist -- cowrote a biography of SRV -- just released this past summer.

The guy actually played with him. If you're on LI/NY area -- google Andy Aledort --

4q0SaXabtXa48UClyfoZ7hyuyVn2YLbhTnxUbpZnqdGmJLVVDGmUJAlgt7p8isCgfO572wp_zlDgYQ=s200-rw
I did Google him (it works outside of LI/NYC :sarcasm:), and found an excerpt from the book about SRV recording with Bowie on Let's Dance, China Girl, etc.. I like this part because I had exactly the same experience driving my car at the time:

Eric Clapton, guitar legend: I was driving, and “Let’s Dance” came on the radio. I stopped my car and said, “I have to know who this guitar player is today. Not tomorrow, but today.” That has only happened to me three or four times ever, and probably not for anyone in between Duane Allman and Stevie.

Why Stevie Ray Vaughan Turned Down a David Bowie Tour

I remember yelling at the radio in my car, "Who is this?!?!". :laugh:

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I think the biggest problem is that what type of music is popular is cyclical. As a result it’s tough for anyone to be popular mainstream for more than a decade or 15 years. I still believe Billy Joel knew this and basically retired at 45. There’s no chance he could have been popular in 1998 or 2000. His music wouldn’t have been top 40 material any longer in that ERA. Madonna and Whitney Houston both sort of adjusted their styles in the 90s and went more “poppy” but it only worked for a short time. By 2000 they were both fading quickly too.

That is quite accurate I mean if you look at it... Beatles had so many songs condensed to a small time frame. I think the artist who may have had the most elastic window would be Stevie Wonder, he was a 20 year reign,, peeking with Jungle Fever Soundtrack in around 1989.

Billy Joel, was 1976-1988 or so, is that when River of Dreams came out.... he had a lot of misses in between and I never really understood his greatness

Cyclical - 1964-1969 was Motown, Wall of Sound, British Invasion, Hippies
1973-1979 - album oriented rock, disco, singer/songwriters
1982-1989 - video music artists, new wave, hair bands,
1993-1999 - Grunge, gangster rap, country crossovers

AFter that the value of purchased music was not measurable any more

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
That is quite accurate I mean if you look at it... Beatles had so many songs condensed to a small time frame. I think the artist who may have had the most elastic window would be Stevie Wonder, he was a 20 year reign,, peeking with Jungle Fever Soundtrack in around 1989.

Billy Joel, was 1976-1988 or so, is that when River of Dreams came out.... he had a lot of misses in between and I never really understood his greatness

Stevie Wonder peaked in 1989? o_O I'd say it was more or less "over" after "I Just Called To Say I Love You".

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I still have this one from when I bought it at Jimmy's Music World back when it came out.... arguably a band that was way too ahead of it's time and grouped in a music genre where they did not belong

My wife met Richard Hell ... She didn't know who he was, she just asked me if I ever heard of this person. Her boss at the MOMA library was his wife. (This must have been around 11-12 years ago. My wife left MOMA not too long after, as it was not, probably still is, the sort of workplace that is accommodating to pregnant women or young mothers.)

I was like, okay... I don't think one should intentionally arrange a fanboy meeting with Richard Hell. He also was dealing with health issues at the time. Also, I'm really much more of a Tom Verlaine fan - the grace-note solo on Marquee Moon is my favorite guitar solo of all time.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006

U2 had a pretty long run. Arguably the longest of any popular rock band (that I can think of, anyway). But their sound changed a few times over the years....

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The only band that has been making good, original music for my entire adult life (I'm 43) that I love has been the Mexican band Cafe Tacuba. They only release albums every 3 years, and don't tour all that much, which is why I think they've been able to do it. For those who haven't heard of them, they're probably the best known spanish language alternative rock band. Learned about them in 1997 from a friend, and hearing their album Re from 1994 totally changed my musical taste. Their three albums from 2003-2012 are unbelievable and all completely different from each other. (Sino is imo the best of them, and is musically a Who tribute album.)

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
U2 had a pretty long run. Arguably the longest of any popular rock band (that I can think of, anyway). But their sound changed a few times over the years....

That is true if you go from I Will Follow to Vertigo that is like 26 years, but big sound change and nothing has really been worth listening to since the Acthung Baby album... I never liked that Beautiful Day stuff

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
My wife met Richard Hell ... She didn't know who he was, she just asked me if I ever heard of this person. Her boss at the MOMA library was his wife. (This must have been around 11-12 years ago. My wife left MOMA not too long after, as it was not, probably still is, the sort of workplace that is accommodating to pregnant women or young mothers.)

I was like, okay... I don't think one should intentionally arrange a fanboy meeting with Richard Hell. He also was dealing with health issues at the time. Also, I'm really much more of a Tom Verlaine fan - the grace-note solo on Marquee Moon is my favorite guitar solo of all time.

MOMA has been a client for 20 years, small work with their catalog

As for Marquee Moon, one of the best solos and one of the best intro's.

Reactions: dano16

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
MOMA has been a client for 20 years, small work with their catalog.

The Museum or the library?

I heard rave reviews about the renovation, and the way they've reorganized and hung art. I'm looking forward to seeing it once it calms down a bit.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
The Museum or the library?

I heard rave reviews about the renovation, and the way they've reorganized and hung art. I'm looking forward to seeing it once it calms down a bit.

We actually work with the marketing department that produces the catalog. I have not been there in ages too LOL

Reactions: dano16

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
It's so hard to tell if a musician that would have lived would have stayed true to their roots, so many sold out that lived.

Ian Curtis tops my list for some reason, just something about his lyrics and delivery, basically unheralded when alive

Hendrix, Joplin, Duane Allman, Vaughan are the obvious ones

Jeff Buckley - he was much more famous dead, as he was just coming up

Andrew Wood - Mother Love Bone would have been a huge band and Pearl Jam would never have existed

Tammi Terrell - Easily would have been on a star level with other Motown artist like Gladys Knight and Diana Ross

Jim Ellison - Material Issue was the blueprint for the 3 piece grunge, alt punk band set up and they came out 2-3 years too early but Ellison killed himself and they were done... always thought they were better than Green Day at that sound

But I go for Curtis
That one MLB album has some cracking stuff on it. Especially Chloe Dancer.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Black Crows just announced a reunion tour for this Summer. Doing their "Shake Your MoneyMaker" album in entirety.

Just my .02 -- I wouldn't buy tix until the day before the show. Those brothers do NOT play well together.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Black Crows just announced a reunion tour for this Summer. Doing their "Shake Your MoneyMaker" album in entirety.

Just my .02 -- I wouldn't buy tix until the day before the show. Those brothers do NOT play well together.
Is that a tribute band?

:rolleyes:

Reactions: Bones45

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

They are my favorite band. I've seen them over 50 times in about a dozen states. Not to mention all of their "solo" and offshoot bands. This has been in the works since the spring and it makes me very sad because it killed Rich's band The Magpie Salute that had Marc Ford (the best guitarist to play with the Crowes).

This is an embarrassing cash grab and nothing else. One of the best thing about a Crowes show was the varied setlists, deep cuts, unreleased gems, interesting covers and jams. This tour will have none of that. And it's the brothers and a whole new band. Not the A squad, B squad or even C squad. This is the D squad. Sad. I get it. They need the money but the hypocrisy isn't lost on me. They are now a nostalgia act. Everything they've railed against their entire lives.

And I agree that you should wait until the last minute to buy tix. But not because the feuding brothers may put the tour in jeopardy. They signed a two year deal with Live Nation and got a nice fat cash advance. They made a deal with the devil and there ain't no backing out of that. There WILL be a tour. But I'm amazed by these venues. 10,000+ amphitheaters and hockey arenas?? Unless it is a co-headlining tour with a bigger band they are not filling these places. They played to half empty sheds in 2006 with Drive By Truckers and Robert Randolph. By the way, I'm hearing that it will be Robert Randolph on some of these dates. But that won't do it. They will be giving away tickets for free. Of course Live Nation is king and they aren't in the business of losing money so we'll see how this thing shakes out.

By the way if anyone wants to read an excellent rock n roll biography, Steve Gorman's (the drummer) recent book about the Crowe's is well worth it.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
They are my favorite band. I've seen them over 50 times in about a dozen states. Not to mention all of their "solo" and offshoot bands. This has been in the works since the spring and it makes me very sad because it killed Rich's band The Magpie Salute that had Marc Ford (the best guitarist to play with the Crowes).

This is an embarrassing cash grab and nothing else. One of the best thing about a Crowes show was the varied setlists, deep cuts, unreleased gems, interesting covers and jams. This tour will have none of that. And it's the brothers and a whole new band. Not the A squad, B squad or even C squad. This is the D squad. Sad. I get it. They need the money but the hypocrisy isn't lost on me. They are now a nostalgia act. Everything they've railed against their entire lives.

And I agree that you should wait until the last minute to buy tix. But not because the feuding brothers may put the tour in jeopardy. They signed a two year deal with Live Nation and got a nice fat cash advance. They made a deal with the devil and there ain't no backing out of that. There WILL be a tour. But I'm amazed by these venues. 10,000+ amphitheaters and hockey arenas?? Unless it is a co-headlining tour with a bigger band they are not filling these places. They played to half empty sheds in 2006 with Drive By Truckers and Robert Randolph. By the way, I'm hearing that it will be Robert Randolph on some of these dates. But that won't do it. They will be giving away tickets for free. Of course Live Nation is king and they aren't in the business of losing money so we'll see how this thing shakes out.

By the way if anyone wants to read an excellent rock n roll biography, Steve Gorman's (the drummer) recent book about the Crowe's is well worth it.

LOL.. and you call ME salty? LOL

All kidding aside, I'm a big fan too -- will def check out their show here in NY -- think they are doing Jones Beach --- I'm sure they'll do ok there. Perhaps theyll add another 90's band at some of the bigger venues? Who knows... Would prefer to see them @ Red Rocks -- and since I just came back from Denver, mgmt will be extremely tough on doing another trip in less than a year.. but well see. An obvious money grab -- but you know what? It'll be a good time -- heard them do a couple from that album live on Stern this morning and Rich sounded great on guitar - and Chris didn't mimic the recording while singing which made me happy. Nothing worse than a live show which replicates what you already have etched in your brain.

Ill def check out that book too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino