OT: Music Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Man, I just went and watched about 20 mins of Muffs youtube videos and I have to admit I got a little welled up. Just great rock and roll. It's been a bad year for deaths. Pete Shelley was a tough one. Met him once behind a club smoking a cigarette. Grumbled about not being able to smoke in clubs anymore. Totally funny, super nice guy. Talked to him for like 2 mins and he was just sharp as a razor. He clocked right away that I enjoyed the verbal banter and he skewered me, in a funny, good natured way. I was laughing so hard.

Yeah, and unfortunately it's only going to get worse. We're all getting up there, man. Again, you expect the old guard due to their age, but substance and mental health issues aside, most 20 and 30-somethings usually don't die at the same rate as people pushing 50 and 60.

Richie Daggers Crime

Rugged individualist
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Yeah, and unfortunately it's only going to get worse. We're all getting up there, man. Again, you expect the old guard due to their age, but substance and mental health issues aside, most 20 and 30-somethings usually don't die at the same rate as people pushing 50 and 60.

Yeah, I hear you. I guess the sad thing is that most of the great bands from that era are largely unheralded.

Reactions: Strummergas

Richie Daggers Crime

Rugged individualist
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I interviewed her for the zine I made back in the day and she was totally nice and gracious.

Here's the cover of that zine, in case anyone cares. Great memories.

rI8ctGM.jpg

Richie Daggers Crime

Rugged individualist
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Listening:

Chain Whip - 14 Lashes
Moral Panic - Moral Panic
Citric Dummies - Tearing Out My Nails
Shaved Women - Just Death
SNFU - Better Than A Stick In the Eye (new vinyl)
Lurkers - Fulham Fallout (new vinyl)
Lieutenant - Lieutenant
Golden Pelicans - Grinding For Gruel
Mountain - Nantucket Sleighride (new vinyl)
Fear - The Record (new vinyl)
Question - Question
Clash - London Calling (new vinyl)
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (new vinyl)
Government Flu - Vile Life
Montrose - Montrose (new vinyl)
Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady (new vinyl)
Hot Cross - Fair Trades and Farewells (new vinyl)
Circles - Resonate
Open Wounds - Invaders
Charged GBH - City Baby Attacked By Rats (new vinyl)
Sunpower - Concrete Blues
Greet Death - Dixieland
Other Horrible Animals - Other Horrible Animals

Richie Daggers Crime

Rugged individualist
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I'm talking to myself in this thread and I don't even care.

12 years ago today we lost Lance Hahn of Cringer/J Church. Out of all the music deaths, his was probably the most tragic to me. We lost him too early. Just an amazing, earnest, smart, sincere musician and storyteller. Hope he's in his favorite place... Cheers.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Out of all the music deaths, his was probably the most tragic to me.
Crazy coincidence, but about the same time you were posting this I was in my car listening to the radio and basically went through the thought process of "if I could go back in time and save one dead musician, who would it be?".

It's hard for me not to say SRV, but I might have to go with Duane Allman just based on what I think he would've done had he lived. Thoughts from others? I'm sure Hendrix and John Lennon would be popular choices.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Crazy coincidence, but about the same time you were posting this I was in my car listening to the radio and basically went through the thought process of "if I could go back in time and save one dead musician, who would it be?".

It's hard for me not to say SRV, but I might have to go with Duane Allman just based on what I think he would've done had he lived. Thoughts from others? I'm sure Hendrix and John Lennon would be popular choices.
I think once a musician reaches 40 years old or so, their best is behind them. So, I'd go with Ronnie Van Zant (and Gaines') who I think still had the chance to create some great Skynyrd music if not for the plane crash.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I think once a musician reaches 40 years old or so, their best is behind them. So, I'd go with Ronnie Van Zant (and Gaines') who I think still had the chance to create some great Skynyrd music if not for the plane crash.
As far as being "popular" goes, sure. But when you look at actual chops, musicians tend to peak in their 40's or even 50's.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I agree, most musicians tend to become technically better as they get older, but most peak creatively fairly early in their careers.
I don't think that's entirely accurate. Obviously "creativity" is very subjective so to determine where a "peak" occurs is impossible. In the image-conscious modern world, it's difficult to be creatively relevant (especially for musicians) as you get older. In "pop" music, often times the hip/young/new/cool thing tends to be regarded as the most "creative." There are many classical composer who composed their best works later in life.

This is an interesting article on the peak of creativity:

The two types of creativity that peak at different ages

Richie Daggers Crime

Rugged individualist
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I was speaking mostly in a small band/rock context, because as the article points out, much of the creativity in that realm is conceptual or is a by-product of chemistry and that tends to fade as bands age. I would imagine things like classical would be very different. I was thinking earlier (when I was anticipating on having to qualify my post) that jazz is pretty different as well, mostly because it's project-based and not band-based, so you keep shuffling chemistry and that sparks creativity. Point conceded!

Reactions: Doshell Propivo

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I was speaking mostly in a small band/rock context, because as the article points out, much of the creativity in that realm is conceptual or is a by-product of chemistry and that tends to fade as bands age. I would imagine things like classical would be very different. I was thinking earlier (when I was anticipating on having to qualify my post) that jazz is pretty different as well, mostly because it's project-based and not band-based, so you keep shuffling chemistry and that sparks creativity. Point conceded!
Blah blah blah... Go listen to some Skynyrd ya weirdo.

Richie Daggers Crime

Rugged individualist
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Last night my daughter spied my Discharge - Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing LP next to my stereo. She asked me about what the cover meant. After I explained it to her, I asked if she wanted to hear it.

Two words:
DISCHARGE-Never-Again-LP-GREY.jpg

Reactions: Doshell Propivo

Richie Daggers Crime

Rugged individualist
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Every once in a while, I get a hanker for a hunk o' cheese metal. Usually, it's an awful experience and I wonder why I did it. Today, I went for Motley Crue - Shout At The Devil... it's not as bad as I thought it might be considering I last listened to it maybe 25 years ago. The guitar tone is pretty solid. Solos rip off Judas Priest quite a bit.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

Hendrix and Lennon yeah, but I'd be more inclined to pick Robert Johnson, Hank Williams, or Janice Joplin.

Or maybe Mozart, who was only 35 when he died.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Hendrix and Lennon yeah, but I'd be more inclined to pick Robert Johnson, Hank Williams, or Janice Joplin.

Or maybe Mozart, who was only 35 when he died.

It's so hard to tell if a musician that would have lived would have stayed true to their roots, so many sold out that lived.

Ian Curtis tops my list for some reason, just something about his lyrics and delivery, basically unheralded when alive

Hendrix, Joplin, Duane Allman, Vaughan are the obvious ones

Jeff Buckley - he was much more famous dead, as he was just coming up

Andrew Wood - Mother Love Bone would have been a huge band and Pearl Jam would never have existed

Tammi Terrell - Easily would have been on a star level with other Motown artist like Gladys Knight and Diana Ross

Jim Ellison - Material Issue was the blueprint for the 3 piece grunge, alt punk band set up and they came out 2-3 years too early but Ellison killed himself and they were done... always thought they were better than Green Day at that sound

But I go for Curtis

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I don't think that's entirely accurate. Obviously "creativity" is very subjective so to determine where a "peak" occurs is impossible. In the image-conscious modern world, it's difficult to be creatively relevant (especially for musicians) as you get older. In "pop" music, often times the hip/young/new/cool thing tends to be regarded as the most "creative." There are many classical composer who composed their best works later in life.

This is an interesting article on the peak of creativity:

The two types of creativity that peak at different ages

I think the biggest problem is that what type of music is popular is cyclical. As a result it’s tough for anyone to be popular mainstream for more than a decade or 15 years. I still believe Billy Joel knew this and basically retired at 45. There’s no chance he could have been popular in 1998 or 2000. His music wouldn’t have been top 40 material any longer in that ERA. Madonna and Whitney Houston both sort of adjusted their styles in the 90s and went more “poppy” but it only worked for a short time. By 2000 they were both fading quickly too.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Dont think i mentioned this -- Local guy -- phenomonal guitarist -- cowrote a biography of SRV -- just released this past summer.

The guy actually played with him. If you're on LI/NY area -- google Andy Aledort --

4q0SaXabtXa48UClyfoZ7hyuyVn2YLbhTnxUbpZnqdGmJLVVDGmUJAlgt7p8isCgfO572wp_zlDgYQ=s200-rw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->