OT: Music Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I'm not a big fan of these "whole album" shows. I find them dull and pandering. Tons of bands are doing it these days, though.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I'm not a big fan of these "whole album" shows. I find them dull and pandering. Tons of bands are doing it these days, though.
Agree. The Crowes did this once before but they played their new album in its entirety before it was released. The album itself is forgettable but cool idea.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Capture-2019-11-11-09-26-09-1.png

Capture-2019-11-11-09-26-15-1.png

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I have zero interest in "The Black Crowes" without Steve Gorman behind the kit. I saw that show once.....once.....

And yeah, his book is well worth your time.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Agree, the only exception was seeing Springsteen do The Wild, The Innocent, and the E-Street Shuffle.

Speaking of that --- and I certainly don't mean to offend -- cuz I know people LOVE this guy.. but is there anyone else to can't stand Springsteen?

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Speaking of that --- and I certainly don't mean to offend -- cuz I know people LOVE this guy.. but is there anyone else to can't stand Springsteen?

I'll say this. It was a HUGE drop after album number four, maybe number three.

It's hard to believe the guy who wrote Jungleland and Backstreets also wrote Glory Days and Waiting on a Sunny Day.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I'll say this. It was a HUGE drop after album number four, maybe number three.

It's hard to believe the guy who wrote Jungleland and Backstreets also wrote Glory Days and Waiting on a Sunny Day.

I don't know I think Springsteen was pretty solid through Born in the USA, there are some good tracks on that album like Bobbie Jean and Darlington County that never got the airplay that the hits got, Dancing in the Dark is a great pop song....

First 5 albums were great, Greetings, The Wild, Born to Run, The River and Nebraska

I think there is an honesty in his music that gives him credibility and his concerts are all they are cracked up to be. After Born in the USA, it is hard to find anything that is decent, songs on the Rising were good, Tunnel of Love and Brilliant Disguise were ok if tiresome

Reactions: stranger34

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY

I think the worst part of the album show... is predictability. Also there are so many albums with filler on it, that the artist actually has to go back and learn how to play a song that was recorded to fill up space on an album... I like seeing a band in concert and not knowing what to expect and then they play some great album track out of nowhere.

Reactions: Doshell Propivo

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I don't know I think Springsteen was pretty solid through Born in the USA, there are some good tracks on that album like Bobbie Jean and Darlington County that never got the airplay that the hits got, Dancing in the Dark is a great pop song....

First 5 albums were great, Greetings, The Wild, Born to Run, The River and Nebraska

I think there is an honesty in his music that gives him credibility and his concerts are all they are cracked up to be. After Born in the USA, it is hard to find anything that is decent, songs on the Rising were good, Tunnel of Love and Brilliant Disguise were ok if tiresome

Born in the USA was when Bruce stopped featuring the piano. David Sancious and Roy Bittan were such a huge part of the first few albums, but Bittan got lost in the mix from Born in the USA on. Bruce talked about this in his book when he said Bittan's piano was like an orchestra in itself and he had to feature him a little less and the rest of the band a little more. He lost me at Born in the USA and I didn't listen again until The Rising. I listen to a little of everything, but the first few albums were beyond what mere mortals are capable of.

Reactions: majormet

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

I dunno, I think it depends on the band & album. My favorite Teenage Fanclub show I've been to they started by playing the first 6 songs from Grand Prix without saying a word, in order. I think it was the 10th anniversary. Of course, it was not expected, but nobody in the venue (I think it was the Bowery Ballroom) stopped hopping the whole time.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I think the worst part of the album show... is predictability. Also there are so many albums with filler on it, that the artist actually has to go back and learn how to play a song that was recorded to fill up space on an album... I like seeing a band in concert and not knowing what to expect and then they play some great album track out of nowhere.

Bands typically do not perform these types of shows playing albums with tons of filler. If there is tons of filler on an album, said album would not be as revered to the point where it makes sense to play it in it's entirety. The interest just wouldn't be there for concert-goers.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Bands typically do not perform these types of shows playing albums with tons of filler. If there is tons of filler on an album, said album would not be as revered to the point where it makes sense to play it in it's entirety. The interest just wouldn't be there for concert-goers.
There's a lot of filler on Shake Your Money Maker. And since when do concert goers attend shows to hear good music. 90% of them will be there because they will hear Jealous Again, Hard to Handle and She Talks to Angels. "They're playing the whole first album bro!"

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
There's a lot of filler on Shake Your Money Maker. And since when do concert goers attend shows to hear good music. 90% of them will be there because they will hear Jealous Again, Hard to Handle and She Talks to Angels. "They're playing the whole first album bro!"

What does that mean?

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY

That's debatable. I would consider 2 songs to be filler; Seeing Things and Struttin' Blues. That's not to say that the rest of the material is of equal standing, but I wouldn't consider it filler either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad