Status
Not open for further replies.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I get uncontrollably angry whenever I hear that stupid riff. :mad:

jMhW5.gif

scott99

May 13, 2005
I know some of you older bastards can get down with this. I just turned 42, so I put myself in that category.

aaffd4316c55a94418f668605367ba81--led-zeppelin-rockstars.jpg

This is the one time of year that I actually play Zeppelin at home. I don't know why other than the fact that it's an excuse to say "Zeptember". I've heard these records enough times in my life to be able to sing every part for every instrument on every song back to you, and yet, I do look forward to this every year.
It's funny, I just started listening to Zeppelin, for the 1st time in a long time. My fave Zep song of all-time being In My Time Of Dying. Second favorite is Bring It On Home.

Reactions: Strummergas

scott99

May 13, 2005
Switched to Led Zeppelin, because I was listening to the new Blink 182 album, and was disappointed. Listened to it at least 10 times in the last week, and though it's KINDA growing on me, it still disappoints me. Their last album, California, was a good album. Though, not digging as much as their old stuff. They just aren't Blink 182 without Tom Delonge. Though I preferred the Mark Hoppus written songs anyway, they just don't have that punk pop sound anymore that I REALLY loved. I don't know what they are anymore. And even their last album with Tom Delonge (Neighborhoods), I really didn't like, but at least they had some punk songs (2 or 3) on it.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Has anyone else seen any of Ken Burns' "Country Music" documentary currently on PBS? I haven't watched any of his stuff in a while (kinda all started to seem the same), but this one is really good. When I was a kid my dad was a Hank Williams Sr and Buck Owens fan and as a result of hearing that all the time I like the more traditional southern/old timey and also some western country music (in which category I include the Dead). I may stop watching after they get past Johnny Cash and into the modern era.
I was just watching this the other night, stayed up way later than I should have but I got drawn in. It was pretty good. I went to bed after kris kristofferson.

Reactions: doublechili

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I went to bed after kris kristofferson.
If I got the story right, Kristofferson's father was a general and Kris was an officer in the military with a wife and kids and he went to a country music concert and decided he wanted to become a songwriter so he moved to Nashville and got a job as a janitor at a music studio. His wife left him, his parents disowned him, and he ended up being famous. Pretty cool.

Reactions: eoin92

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
If I got the story right, Kristofferson's father was a general and Kris was an officer in the military with a wife and kids and he went to a country music concert and decided he wanted to become a songwriter so he moved to Nashville and got a job as a janitor at a music studio. His wife left him, his parents disowned him, and he ended up being famous. Pretty cool.
Yeah, that’s a pretty cool story about pursuing your dreams and losing everything to do so, then coming out on top. I’d say an aberration though. Most people who do that would max out as a divorced janitor.

Last edited:

Richie Daggers Crime

Rugged individualist
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Switched to Led Zeppelin, because I was listening to the new Blink 182 album, and was disappointed.

I happened to hear a couple of songs from that due to a music site I frequent and that shit is absolute garbage. I never cared for them to begin with, but the shit I heard was just as processed and frosted as an Imagine Dragons LP. If it was played on real instruments by human beings, it's so far back in the process of the final product as to be unrecognizable.

And Lene Lovich behind it! New Toy, Lucky Number!!

I have a soft spot for bizarre, idiosyncratic female vocalists like Lovich and Diamanda Galas. That shit can clear a room faster than the noisiest hardcore in my collection.

Reactions: beach

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Yeah, that’s a pretty cool story about pursuing your dreams and losing everything to do so, then coming out on top. I’d say an aberration though. Most people who do that would max out as a divorced janitor.
Yeah, you're probably right. :nod:

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I have a soft spot for bizarre, idiosyncratic female vocalists like Lovich and Diamanda Galas. That **** can clear a room faster than the noisiest hardcore in my collection.

Speaking of which - I've spent years teetering between thinking Hole's 'Live Through This' album is an incredible piece of work vs. horrific trash. I'm leaning towards incredible. As raw (bad?) as Love's voice is, the lyrics, tone, lack of polish, and power of the album are undeniable.

Richie Daggers Crime

Rugged individualist
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I was on vacation last week and totally missed that Kim Shattuck of the Muffs died last week. What a sad loss. I interviewed her for the zine I made back in the day and she was totally nice and gracious. Still have a thing for the skirt/thigh stocking combo because of her. Best female scream in the history of rock and roll, in my humble opinion.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Anyone been listening to the new Sturgill album Sound & Fury? Not country at all, which is crazy following up on his Grammy winning Country Album of the Year Sailor's Guide to Earth.

The new album rocks.

Reactions: Doshell Propivo

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I was on vacation last week and totally missed that Kim Shattuck of the Muffs died last week. What a sad loss. I interviewed her for the zine I made back in the day and she was totally nice and gracious. Still have a thing for the skirt/thigh stocking combo because of her. Best female scream in the history of rock and roll, in my humble opinion.

Yeah, totally shocked by the news when it came down. I last saw them maybe about 2 years ago and they were great as always. I'm guessing she was diagnosed not too long after that tour, which was their last.

I didn't know her personally but I know people who did, and by all accounts she was the real deal; super talented and also always funny, gracious and just a pleasure to be around. It's one thing when the "old guard" rock and rollers leave us (most recently, Ginger Baker at 80), but it's another when folks from your generation do. Total suckage.

Richie Daggers Crime

Rugged individualist
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I didn't know her personally but I know people who did, and by all accounts she was the real deal; super talented and also always funny, gracious and just a pleasure to be around. It's one thing when the "old guard" rock and rollers leave us (most recently, Ginger Baker at 80), but it's another when folks from your generation do. Total suckage.

Man, I just went and watched about 20 mins of Muffs youtube videos and I have to admit I got a little welled up. Just great rock and roll. It's been a bad year for deaths. Pete Shelley was a tough one. Met him once behind a club smoking a cigarette. Grumbled about not being able to smoke in clubs anymore. Totally funny, super nice guy. Talked to him for like 2 mins and he was just sharp as a razor. He clocked right away that I enjoyed the verbal banter and he skewered me, in a funny, good natured way. I was laughing so hard.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Switched to Led Zeppelin, because I was listening to the new Blink 182 album, and was disappointed. Listened to it at least 10 times in the last week, and though it's KINDA growing on me, it still disappoints me. Their last album, California, was a good album. Though, not digging as much as their old stuff. They just aren't Blink 182 without Tom Delonge. Though I preferred the Mark Hoppus written songs anyway, they just don't have that punk pop sound anymore that I REALLY loved. I don't know what they are anymore. And even their last album with Tom Delonge (Neighborhoods), I really didn't like, but at least they had some punk songs (2 or 3) on it.

This makes me sad because I love/loved Blink and the new Album is just not great. I like the first track and maybe 1 more and thats it.

Check our Simple Creatures though. It's Mark Hoppus and Alex Gaskarth from All Time Low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->