OT: Music Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
That's debatable. I would consider 2 songs to be filler; Seeing Things and Struttin' Blues. That's not to say that the rest of the material is of equal standing, but I wouldn't consider it filler either.
Think n Thin, Struttin Blues and Stare it Cold are filler. Seeing Things may be the best song on the album and is killer live. That would literally be the only song I'd be interested in on this sham of a tour.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
There's a lot of filler on Shake Your Money Maker. And since when do concert goers attend shows to hear good music. 90% of them will be there because they will hear Jealous Again, Hard to Handle and She Talks to Angels. "They're playing the whole first album bro!"

I saw Ed Kowalczyk sing the entire Throwing Copper album about 5 years ago. Say what you want about these kind of shows, but when you love the entire album -- its a great time.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Steve Gorman:

"Now, again, the music's the music, and somehow those damaged people, myself included, occasionally made tremendous rock and roll music," he continued. "And that doesn't take anything away from that. And so if people want to go hear 'Shake Your Money Maker' in its entirety played by men in their 50s, then, by all means, go see it. And so I'm thrilled that people love THE BLACK CROWES' music, and if they wanna go see a version of THE BLACK CROWES, or if they wanna go see Chris and Rich calling themselves THE BLACK CROWES with another band, they have the right to do that. And to me, it's, like, who's in FOREIGNER? I don't know. But if you wanna hear that music, go see it."

Gorman added: "I can't say that it's not sad that a band like THE BLACK CROWES, who, by our second album, had put ourselves in position to be in control of our own fate and destiny for the rest of our lives... We went from being a band that discussed, 'Let's buy a farm and build a studio and we'll have our own world outside of Atlanta. Let's buy a place over near Athens, where the land is cheap, and we'll build a studio and we'll have a compound and we can make music there forever.' For a band that went from there to the 30th anniversary, 'Let's hear an album start to finish, including songs these guys haven't played in 20 years,' that's sad — that's what that is to me. It's perfectly fine if they wanna [do it] — I mean, they have every right to do it. And, again, I don't begrudge anybody that goes to see it, but it's sad — it's always gonna be sad.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Steve Gorman:

"Now, again, the music's the music, and somehow those damaged people, myself included, occasionally made tremendous rock and roll music," he continued. "And that doesn't take anything away from that. And so if people want to go hear 'Shake Your Money Maker' in its entirety played by men in their 50s, then, by all means, go see it. And so I'm thrilled that people love THE BLACK CROWES' music, and if they wanna go see a version of THE BLACK CROWES, or if they wanna go see Chris and Rich calling themselves THE BLACK CROWES with another band, they have the right to do that. And to me, it's, like, who's in FOREIGNER? I don't know. But if you wanna hear that music, go see it."

Gorman added: "I can't say that it's not sad that a band like THE BLACK CROWES, who, by our second album, had put ourselves in position to be in control of our own fate and destiny for the rest of our lives... We went from being a band that discussed, 'Let's buy a farm and build a studio and we'll have our own world outside of Atlanta. Let's buy a place over near Athens, where the land is cheap, and we'll build a studio and we'll have a compound and we can make music there forever.' For a band that went from there to the 30th anniversary, 'Let's hear an album start to finish, including songs these guys haven't played in 20 years,' that's sad — that's what that is to me. It's perfectly fine if they wanna [do it] — I mean, they have every right to do it. And, again, I don't begrudge anybody that goes to see it, but it's sad — it's always gonna be sad.

Lou Gramm is Foreigner, just like Chris and Rich are the Crowes. I don't really care who is behind them, as most of the time it doesn't matter. The music for both those bands isnt hard to replicate.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Think n Thin, Struttin Blues and Stare it Cold are filler. Seeing Things may be the best song on the album and is killer live. That would literally be the only song I'd be interested in on this sham of a tour.

Seeing Things is the most derivative song on the album, and for as much as I like the Crowes, that's saying a lot!

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Lou Gramm is Foreigner, just like Chris and Rich are the Crowes. I don't really care who is behind them, as most of the time it doesn't matter. The music for both those bands isnt hard to replicate.

And now you need to stop talking music.

Seriously, stick to what you're good at; cup holders and Shannon Hogan.

Reactions: Doshell Propivo

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Born in the USA was when Bruce stopped featuring the piano. David Sancious and Roy Bittan were such a huge part of the first few albums, but Bittan got lost in the mix from Born in the USA on. Bruce talked about this in his book when he said Bittan's piano was like an orchestra in itself and he had to feature him a little less and the rest of the band a little more. He lost me at Born in the USA and I didn't listen again until The Rising. I listen to a little of everything, but the first few albums were beyond what mere mortals are capable of.

I agree I am surprisingly a bigger fan of Greetings than the others, so raw and hungry on those albums, he was living a normal life and the songs reflected

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Bands typically do not perform these types of shows playing albums with tons of filler. If there is tons of filler on an album, said album would not be as revered to the point where it makes sense to play it in it's entirety. The interest just wouldn't be there for concert-goers.

True but most albums even good ones have filler, which means you hear songs in concert that should not be played, ... Born to Run as Night and Meeting Across the River... Rumours has Never Going Back Again and some slow stuff on the 2nd side.... Exile on Main Street for all it's greatness has a few stinkers... I saw Steely Dan Katy Lied in concert and that was pretty good, but something about needing unpredictability makes a live show what it is

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
True but most albums even good ones have filler, which means you hear songs in concert that should not be played, ... Born to Run as Night and Meeting Across the River... Rumours has Never Going Back Again and some slow stuff on the 2nd side.... Exile on Main Street for all it's greatness has a few stinkers... I saw Steely Dan Katy Lied in concert and that was pretty good, but something about needing unpredictability makes a live show what it is

I get it. I like varied set lists better than album performances as well; especially with bands with extensive catalogs.

However, the one good thing about album performances is that you can hear tracks that you wouldn't normally hear; especially with bands with extensive catalogs! I don't really subscribe to the notion that certain songs should not be played. Artists should play whatever they want. Obviously it wouldn't be wise for most bands to create set lists that are largely comprised of obscure tracks and deep cuts, but certain bands with a dedicated hardcore fanbase (like The Black Crowes) can get away with it more than others.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Seeing Things is the most derivative song on the album, and for as much as I like the Crowes, that's saying a lot!
It’s rock n roll. It’s all derivative.

I’m right, you’re wrong. That’s how it goes.

seriously though I hear what you’re saying. I just found a new appreciation for it live.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I get it. I like varied set lists better than album performances as well; especially with bands with extensive catalogs.

However, the one good thing about album performances is that you can hear tracks that you wouldn't normally hear; especially with bands with extensive catalogs! I don't really subscribe to the notion that certain songs should not be played. Artists should play whatever they want. Obviously it wouldn't be wise for most bands to create set lists that are largely comprised of obscure tracks and deep cuts, but certain bands with a dedicated hardcore fanbase (like The Black Crowes) can get away with it more than others.

I did see a few documentaries and the such on artists where they had not played a song so long they had to learn to play it again did not recall the lyrics even, so if it is a song that the group is not passionate about then you get a lackluster performance. Neil Young could be famous for playing a whole show of the unknown songs and sometimes Pearl Jam for sure and it could be underwhelming when you don't hear anything you can sing along with. If there was an album that I would want to hear live from start to finish it would be Oasis - Definitely Maybe,

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I did see a few documentaries and the such on artists where they had not played a song so long they had to learn to play it again did not recall the lyrics even, so if it is a song that the group is not passionate about then you get a lackluster performance.

Just because a song hasn't been performed for awhile doesn't mean the group is not passionate about it. At a certain point, artists can't play every song they've ever written each show because there's just not enough time to do so. Combine that with a need to promote whatever the latest material is while having to play the "hits", some songs just fall by the wayside; sometimes for quite some time. Obviously not on the same level as a band like The Black Crowes, but I've been in a position where I've had to relearn a song that I haven't played in years. It doesn't at all mean that I don't like the song anymore. On the contrary, I've had fun revisiting material that I haven't touched in awhile. Obviously there's also material that I haven't played and would prefer not to, but if I were to accept a gig or tour playing an album start to finish for a pretty damn good payday, I'd certainly be making the best of it and not sulking through the performance. This goes double if the fans want to hear the song even if I don't necessarily want to.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Just because a song hasn't been performed for awhile doesn't mean the group is not passionate about it. At a certain point, artists can't play every song they've ever written each show because there's just not enough time to do so. Combine that with a need to promote whatever the latest material is while having to play the "hits", some songs just fall by the wayside; sometimes for quite some time. Obviously not on the same level as a band like The Black Crowes, but I've been in a position where I've had to relearn a song that I haven't played in years. It doesn't at all mean that I don't like the song anymore. On the contrary, I've had fun revisiting material that I haven't touched in awhile. Obviously there's also material that I haven't played and would prefer not to, but if I were to accept a gig or tour playing an album start to finish for a pretty damn good payday, I'd certainly be making the best of it and not sulking through the performance. This goes double if the fans want to hear the song even if I don't necessarily want to.

I see your point. I guess even on top rated albums, there are songs that were incomplete ideas that were needed to fill out an album and some of the best albums have 2 or 3 songs like that, but if the pay day is great for something you created 30 years ago, I guess you can become passionate about it. I guess as a concert goer the issue is that if you love the band you want the deeper cuts and not just the hits.. and if you are a casual fan of a band you want the hits. If I am seeing Squeeze or a band that I have followed for years and know their catalog of songs, I want to be shocked out of nowhere witha song like Points of View or Separate Beds... but if I am seeing Yes in concert I don't want something showing up that was on Going for the One... just give me the known songs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad