OT: Music Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I like (to varying degrees) all those bands (except Pink Floyd). There's just a weird common thread there that somehow elevates those bands into some kind of sacred cow.

I saw Replacements back in the day. Unfortunately, it was the post-Bob Replacements and they were very polished and saccharine.

From what I've heard (too young to have been there), live Bob-era Replacements shows were overrated (unless you like wrecks). There's no question the albums were better when Bob was in the band, but man shambolic doesn't even describe them on some nights back then.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
In the same vein, I don't understand why folks like the Pixies so much.

I saw them back in the day and they were way better than the Replacements, although I feel they were only okay live. Very dry and aloof. Never broke a sweat. Loud, though.

Funnily, the main problem with both those bands is the same: shaky rhythm sections, specifically the drumming. Interestingly, the Replacements got more stilted and lost their rolling edge as time went on, then broke up, but the Pixies went the opposite direction and were actually developing into a real solid unit, then broke up.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I stlll have a vinyl copy of their number of the beast album. Classic.

I'm an ACDC fan, Back in Black, classic. Though Thunderstruck is probably my fav
A friend of mine who has played in a couple of AC/DC cover bands (drums or bass), says that AC/DC isn't just the name of the band, but the chord structure of all their songs. :sarcasm:

They have some really good songs, but very formulaic.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I am sure the LI guys hate what is left of Blue Oyster Cult, but have any of you heard the Stalk-Forrest Group album? A snapshot from an alternative universe.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
One of the best concerts I ever went to was this John Mellencamp concert. Played 2 and a half hours plus. Really surprised me after all these years it still ranks as the top 3 rock concerts I have seen live. Probably #2 of all time.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
We've talked about The Marcus King Band here: I see that they're headlining the Beacon for the first time - in late December. I think tix are either already on sale or go on sale very soon. I can't get there, but for those of you in NY I would think that would be a pretty cool/historic show to see.

Richie Daggers Crime

Mar 8, 2004
Boise
One of the best concerts I ever went to was this John Mellencamp concert. Played 2 and a half hours plus. Really surprised me after all these years it still ranks as the top 3 rock concerts I have seen live. Probably #2 of all time.

Was he Johnny Cougar, John Cougar, John Cougar Mellencamp, or John Mellencamp at that point?

Reactions: SteveH124

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Was he Johnny Cougar, John Cougar, John Cougar Mellencamp, or John Mellencamp at that point?
John Mellencamp by then. That concert was to support the Lonesome Jubilee LP. Yes LP they called it then. One of the best LP's written IMO. He was the first rock performer to add a fiddler and accordion player. The guy could really sing and dance back then. Played for atleast a hour one set. Took a break, came back did another 1 hour. And finished with a good long encore. There was no opening act. The night was 2 1/2 hours long. Long for concerts these days.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
One of the wildest times I can recall at a concert is when this tune came on. I think some of you will enjoy this tune. Great rock tune to experience live.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
We've talked about The Marcus King Band here: I see that they're headlining the Beacon for the first time - in late December. I think tix are either already on sale or go on sale very soon. I can't get there, but for those of you in NY I would think that would be a pretty cool/historic show to see.
Just got my tickets for the Mpls show. This guy (and his band) smokes.

Reactions: doublechili

Richie Daggers Crime

Mar 8, 2004
Boise
John Mellencamp by then. That concert was to support the Lonesome Jubilee LP. Yes LP they called it then. One of the best LP's written IMO. He was the first rock performer to add a fiddler and accordion player. The guy could really sing and dance back then. Played for atleast a hour one set. Took a break, came back did another 1 hour. And finished with a good long encore. There was no opening act. The night was 2 1/2 hours long. Long for concerts these days.

Well, he had a pretty decent drummer back in the day. I'm guessing he stuck with him for a while, because the kit work was always pretty good when I'd hear it on the radio.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY

Never heard of em til your post...the song "virginia" is pretty friggin solid.

Richie Daggers Crime

Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Bunch of cool stuff by some great old bands came out in the last couple of weeks. New Subhumans (UK) LP, Sicko compilation LP, Touche Amore reissue/rerecording, new Boris the Sprinkler LP, new Moving Targets LP (!!!), Cancer Bats/Single Mothers split, Alice Cooper EP (!!!).

Reactions: Strummergas

Richie Daggers Crime

Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I went to a local record/CD show this morning and man that market is about to collapse. Too many people asking way too much for shitty records. Why the f*** is a copy of Pyromania $30? That shit sold 10 million copies. It's a $5 record. Black Sabbath records in fair condition should not be $45. When you're selling Peabo Bryson and Carpenters records for $15, you need to take a step the f*** back.

That being said, I did find some deals. I picked up In The Court of The Crimson King for $5. Some Girls for $4. Houses of the Holy for $4. The New Alliance version of Land Speed Record for $20, Clikatat Ikatowi - Orchestrated and Conducted By for $20, which was a record on my shortlist, and Born Against - 9 Patriotic Hymns for $18.

Reactions: Strummergas

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Has anyone else seen any of Ken Burns' "Country Music" documentary currently on PBS? I haven't watched any of his stuff in a while (kinda all started to seem the same), but this one is really good. When I was a kid my dad was a Hank Williams Sr and Buck Owens fan and as a result of hearing that all the time I like the more traditional southern/old timey and also some western country music (in which category I include the Dead). I may stop watching after they get past Johnny Cash and into the modern era.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad