OT: Music Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I concur. But all I asked was whether or not that's the website you were referring to.

Nah. It's another that shall remain nameless because of shame and fear.

Anyway, one of the themes that kept creeping up is that 2000-2009 was a "lost decade" for music. Does anyone feel that way?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Nah. It's another that shall remain nameless because of shame and fear.

Anyway, one of the themes that kept creeping up is that 2000-2009 was a "lost decade" for music. Does anyone feel that way?

A lot of the music my generation listens to comes from that time period. I know that the New York music scene was pretty good in the early to mid 2000's, The Strokes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Interpol, etc. Pop music was pretty horrific though.

Richie Daggers Crime

Mar 8, 2004
Boise
A lot of the music my generation listens to comes from that time period. I know that the New York music scene was pretty good in the early to mid 2000's, The Strokes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Interpol, etc.

That almost lends more credence to the "lost decade" argument. All the bands you listed are kinda polished versions of retro styles.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
That almost lends more credence to the "lost decade" argument. All the bands you listed are kinda polished versions of retro styles.

I could see that. I've heard that a big reason those bands came to prominence was because the music scene was lacking any substance and they were the only sound that had any at the time. You guys are older and much more into music history than I am, so I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Wilco, White Stripes, Raconteurs, The Strokes, Arcade Fire, Robert Plant, Levon Helm, Jayhawks, Robert Randolph all put out great music that decade.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I didn't mean it that way. I meant that you're pulling someone that started in the 60's. He's great, but that's not defining the 2000s.
I disagree. I mean, if he put out a Led Zep greatest hits album and toured with Page I wouldn't put him on the list. But what he did with Krauss and T Bone was very unique and original (for an album of covers lol).

Sounded so beautiful.

Richie Daggers Crime

Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I disagree. I mean, if he put out a Led Zep greatest hits album and toured with Page I wouldn't put him on the list. But what he did with Krauss and T Bone was very unique and original (for an album of covers lol).

Sounded so beautiful.

I get you. I just don't see that as something that people look back on and go, "yeah, that was music in the 2000's". Maybe we're still too close to it to define it properly, although I don't think so. It's been 10 years.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I get you. I just don't see that as something that people look back on and go, "yeah, that was music in the 2000's". Maybe we're still too close to it to define it properly, although I don't think so. It's been 10 years.
8 1/2 years but who's counting. ;)

The Raising Sand album won't define a decade by any means but I remember it fondly as one of the highlights of the 00's. And it was something unique. Not to mention a huge commercial success.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
So I saw Maiden last night. The people watching was absolutely incredible. Wow. These guys gotta make a killing on merch. I'd say probably 10,000 people had the new tour shirt.

And in case you were wondering RDC, when the singer yelled "scream for me..." you know what I did? Nothing! I felt like such a rebel. A real badass. That's metal I thought to myself proudly. Except for that one time at the end. I got caught up in the moment when he was shooting flames out of his sleeves and the bastard got me to do it...

I also liked how he counseled the crowd to spell the name of the song properly on social media. It is The Clansman. With a f***ing "C!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad