Music Thread Pt. II

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I used to love music, especially groundbreaking new music or discovering an old song a friend suggested that I never heard before.

Now I am just happy when I stumble across a song that is halfway decent or, God forbid, someone suggests a Country song that I don't hate. Words that I never thought would come out of my mouth as I loathed Country music for most of my life.

That is how far my expectations have fallen. Usually that level of loss vs. acceptance was reserved for Meat Loaf, KISS, Foo Fighters, etc. songs.

Tyler Childers
Zach Bryan
Sturgill Simpson
Colter Wall
Cody Jinks

Not the crap they play on Country radio

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Folks here should check out Robbie Fulks, Charlie Crockett and Marty Stuart if they're looking for country sounds that is not at all like what they would here on the radio.

Just did a quick run through of a few songs, Charlie Crockett has a nice sound and I'll be listening to that a bit more but I didn't care for the other two.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Admittedly I don't know a whole heck of a lot about country, but it seems like it's too damn broad when discussing it. Seems like a genre that has gone through the biggest transformation over the decades when compared to anything else. Contemporary pop-country/mainstream is pretty much garbage and has such a similar sound/subject matter.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Admittedly I don't know a whole heck of a lot about country, but it seems like it's too damn broad when discussing it. Seems like a genre that has gone through the biggest transformation over the decades when compared to anything else. Contemporary pop-country/mainstream is pretty much garbage and has such a similar sound/subject matter.

There is a pretty big rift in country music fandom these days. Nashville music machine vs. the Appalachia and/or "Red dirt" scene in Texas.

I will say that country radio is getting a little better due to the fact that there are mainstream acts like Jon Pardi, Midland and Chris Stapleton that get air time even though they have fiddle & steel compared to snaptracks & bass drops.

Reactions: PK Cronin

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
There is a pretty big rift in country music fandom these days. Nashville music machine vs. the Appalachia and/or "Red dirt" scene in Texas.

I will say that country radio is getting a little better due to the fact that there are mainstream acts like Jon Pardi, Midland and Chris Stapleton that get air time even though they have fiddle & steel compared to snaptracks & bass drops.

I've always found everything on the radio or tv to be terrible when I was growing up, not that there was too much on Long Island to begin with, so I never got into it. As I got older Johnny Cash opened the door, then I discovered Johnny Paycheck (in particular, Pardon Me, I've Got Someone to Kill and the whole murder ballad thing) and Ernest Tubb which really changed my perception of the genre, realizing it's more than what I had been exposed to earlier in life. I tend to lean more towards folk heavy things these days I guess, but so many people blend a lot of styles.

John 5
Nick 13
Smooth Hound Smith
Brett Detar
Angus Stone
Fleet Foxes
Ben Kweller
Shakey Graves
The Dead South

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Did you see the Country Music series on (I think) PBS a while back? That was really good - and this rift goes way back. I never knew that Chet Atkins was instrumental (pun intended) in developing the Nashville sound.

After watching that series I downloaded Willie Nelson's "Red Headed Stranger" - that's a great album.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad