OT: Music Sharing Thread 2

Boner Pills

Jan 25, 2013
Edmonton
For the guys who mentioned Dream Theatre, Pull Me Under was probably their "hit", this was always my favorite. A little long, but still only a fraction of a workday. Not that I know what that is anymore.

Reactions: ujju2 and Dorian2

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
@Dorian2

check this one from DT out, see if its an improvement to you or not over Pull Me Under

I wouldn't say better or worse....but a different sound and feel for sure. The influences this band drew from is pretty awesome! The guitar solo sounded like it was heavily influenced by this guy. Don't have to say much about Portnoy of course. He's a student of Peart.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moreaupheus

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
@Dorian2 As far as DT goes my favourites tend to be the epics. Here are 3 longer songs:

Octavarium is a live version, A Change of Seasons and The Count of Tuscany are studio recordings.

Edit: Not sure why Octavarium keeps starting at the 20 minute mark for me, just watch the whole video.

Reactions: Dorian2

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Thanks for the extra homework @ujju2 !! Will check soon. So far the other offerings have been awesome!

Did I mention I f***ing hate you all for leading me down this path I knew would dive into deep. Understand that I don't just listen to music but heavily analyze as well.. I already know that constant motion starts 1/4, 5/8, 3/4, 5/8, 15/16 from a quick check online :mad::mad:

Last edited:
Reactions: yukoner88 and ujju2

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Thanks for the extra homework @ujju2 !! Will check soon. So far the other offerings have been awesome!

Did I mention I f***ing hate you all for leading me down this path I knew would dive into deep. Understand that I don't just listen to music but heavily analyze as well.. I already know that constant motion starts 1/4, 5/8, 3/4, 5/8, 15/16 from a quick check online :mad::mad:

Is it the constant change ups you hate, or the weird time signatures in general?

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Is it the constant change ups you hate, or the weird time signatures in general?

Neither. It's what I'm heavily into as I've been a Rush fan since I was about 10 and currently working out a couple of my own tunes with odd and compound time signatures. The thing I "hate" is my own penchant to follow the trail of these things and go down yet another bunch of time consuming rabbit holes. Hence the reason I took this long to dive into DT. It's a personal issue. ;)

Reactions: ujju2

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Neither. It's what I'm heavily into as I've been a Rush fan since I was about 10 and currently working out a couple of my own tunes with odd and compound time signatures. The thing I "hate" is my own penchant to follow the trail of these things and go down yet another bunch of time consuming rabbit holes. Hence the reason I took this long to dive into DT. It's a personal issue. ;)

lol So if im reading this correctly, this is a "its not you its me" scenario, am I close? lol

Reactions: Dorian2

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

seeing as we've got some Dream Theatre fans, I suspect some may appreciate this one. this gives credence to the notion that Heavy Metal's earliest roots (Bloody Roots!!) can be traced to the Symphony Orchestra, with Richard Wagner's Ride of the Valkeries

Last edited:

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
@Dorian2 As far as DT goes my favourites tend to be the epics. Here are 3 longer songs:

Octavarium is a live version, A Change of Seasons and The Count of Tuscany are studio recordings.

Edit: Not sure why Octavarium keeps starting at the 20 minute mark for me, just watch the whole video.

Change of seasons, nice.

Reactions: ujju2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad