Joe Bowen (Leafs Radio Broadcaster) Becomes Irate About How Quiet Leafs Fans Are With A Few Minutes Left Of G3

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
Leafs fund those teams and more. I'd also bet Saturday nights' game will have higher ratings than the Finals rematch between FLA and VGS.

I asked my 71 year old father if he wanted to go to a Leafs game (he's a huge fan and loves the Leafs, watching them and the Jays every day) and when he saw the ticket prices he said, 'naw, go to Hawaii instead with that kind of money.'

You can actually do a roundtrip flight to Hawaii for two from Thursday - Tuesday cheaper than the cheapest pair of lower bowl tickets for Saturday night.

Now take the money you'll spend on dinner and drinks and put that towards the AirBnb lol.

OR for one game, take the fans in the lower bowl and put them out in Maple Leaf Square and then tell the Maple Leaf square crowd to populate the lower bowl. Chaos would ensue.
Your dad is missing the point. The guys from the lower bowl fly to Hawaii after the game for some quick RnR. It's not a question of either/or for people with money. Just get everything you want.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Since the lockout and/or salary-cap era is a very common goalpost. I'm not a Sabres fan, just pointing out how absurd it is for a Leafs fan to talk shit about anything related to hockey.

A sens fan talking shit about a playoff team LMAO! Your team is an embarrassment, so your opinion means very little.

Talk to me when Ottawa decides to leave the basement.

Reactions: OVO16

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
I wish I could afford to go to one of these games. I havent been to a game since I think they played Columbus on Hall Of Fame night. I can atleast check booing Bettman off my bucket list

My first game ever was Game 2 Tor vs Pitt in the series Valk scored to win.

I would have to guess it was 1999 or 2000.

If I'm not mistaken, game 2 was the Sundin 2 goal game he missed and empty net shot and we were disappointed.

Got 4 free tickets gifted to me by the president of a labour union, we sold the 2 blues and took the 2 golds.

That was a cool experience and the crowd was nuts.

I've had a bunch of tickets gifted over the years, always from labour unions.

Only ever bought tickets for 1 game ever, and it ended up costing me over $700 that night between the game, food, drinks and travel for myself and the husband of a cousin who was visiting Canada for the first time.

Not playoffs, just a regular season game.

You can take your whole family to a game in nearly every other rink in the NHL for that kind of money and then take them out for a nice dinner afterwards.

You want better atmosphere, drop ticket prices by 75%.

I guarantee you the place would be rocking!

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Now post Buffalo's goals vs. Toronto in the post-season.

Buffalo may never see the playoffs again in your lifetime.
Neither have won a cup in my old ass lifetime either, moot point :laugh:

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
My first game ever was Game 2 Tor vs Pitt in the series Valk scored to win.

I would have to guess it was 1999 or 2000.

If I'm not mistaken, game 2 was the Sundin 2 goal game he missed and empty net shot and we were disappointed.

Got 4 free tickets gifted to me by the president of a labour union, we sold the 2 blues and took the 2 golds.

That was a cool experience and the crowd was nuts.

I've had a bunch of tickets gifted over the years, always from labour unions.

Only ever bought tickets for 1 game ever, and it ended up costing me over $700 that night between the game, food, drinks and travel for myself and the husband of a cousin who was visiting Canada for the first time.

Not playoffs, just a regular season game.

You can take your whole family to a game in nearly every other rink in the NHL for that kind of money and then take them out for a nice dinner afterwards.

You want better atmosphere, drop ticket prices by 75%.

I guarantee you the place would be rocking!
thats awesome, yeah same pretty much every ticket I ever got was a gift. I also got to see Crosby's first game in Toronto. I still havent seen McDavid yet. but wish I was able to experience a playoff game. especially in my early 20s Id be loud as hell.

its just too expensive. can expect to spend over 500$ for a night going to the game from train tickets last I paid was like 30$, usually got food at Real Sports Bar or whatever its called again with a few pints before the game. then 20$ beers and obviously the ticket cost. I normally spend 300 or more when Im gifted the tickets. just too expensive. and lets be serious no way im going to the Leafs game and not drinking to save money. lol

Why are corporate seats even a thing in the playoffs?
are they though? I always figured playoffs had nothing to do with season tickets

Reactions: Summer Rose

StrmSurge

Skol!
Mar 19, 2019
Salem, SC
What?

What pride?

Who are the rich people?

How do these rich people get richer by the team not charging for seats?
Are you unaware that the average workers' wages in the South are much lower than the North?

Obviously the price of living is a bit more manageable on such low salaries, but irregardless, Southern people are going to be more reluctant to spend their hard earned (blue collar work) cash on entertainment events.

It also explains why Southern fans (not just in hockey) are typically more loud and passionate (for those that do fill the arena/stadium)(or when)

If it makes ya feel better I took your post at face value as another hockey elitist "grr hockey doesn't belong in the south!" type. 😎😆

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, Las Vegas, Montreal - all premiere cities with rich corporate support and expensive seating who still manage to have an exciting and electric playoff atmosphere. This thread has been nothing but pure cope so far. Toronto sits on its hands. They're Ottawa with more money lmao

Reactions: canuckslover10

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, Las Vegas, Montreal - all premiere cities with rich corporate support and expensive seating who still manage to have an exciting and electric playoff atmosphere. This thread has been nothing but pure cope so far. Toronto sits on its hands. They're Ottawa with more money lmao
I got into a luxury box in LA during last year's playoffs for $250. Their seating isn't expensive.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Joe's a legend and I think he's just trying to stir the fans up, but the fans' apathy is well-deserved.

Dog owner teases his dog with a tasty snack and tells it to jump in the air. Dog jumps in the air. Owner doesn't give the dog the snack.
Dog owner teases his dog with a tasty snack and tells it to jump in the air. Dog jumps in the air. Owner doesn't give the dog the snack.
Dog owner teases his dog with a tasty snack and tells it to jump in the air. Dog jumps refuses to jump in the air. Joe Bowen: "WHAT'S WRONG DOG WHY AREN'T YOU JUMPING IN THE AIR!?!?!?!?!"

Starring:
The Toronto Maple Leafs as "The Dog Owner"
Leafs fans as "The Dog"
Joe Bowen as himself

Nogatco Rd

Owner & Operator, HFBoards LLC
Apr 3, 2021
They should gift the whole arena for a playoff series or 2.

It would drag the NHL's Hockey Related Revenue down so much Phoenix/Arizona/Utah/whatever their name is now fold due to lack of funding by Toronto.

I wonder how many playoff Leafs home games would generate the same revenue that Mullet Arena generated this past year, or whatever the arena in Sunrise is called, or a few others in the league.

I'd put the over/under at 2.5 home games in the playoffs generating as much revenue as 41 home games for Arizona and/or Florida this past year.
Embarrassing deflection

Reactions: Pierre from Orleans

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
The average true fan simply can't afford to go.

I had the forutne of sitting in the lowerbowl at MSG for Rangers Caps (treated by family member)...so many pretentious jagoffs on their phones not even paying attention at times, standing up during the play no etiquette or clue about watching a game.

It sucks. Grow the game, my ass....

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
thats awesome, yeah same pretty much every ticket I ever got was a gift. I also got to see Crosby's first game in Toronto. I still havent seen McDavid yet. but wish I was able to experience a playoff game. especially in my early 20s Id be loud as hell.

its just too expensive. can expect to spend over 500$ for a night going to the game from train tickets last I paid was like 30$, usually got food at Real Sports Bar or whatever its called again with a few pints before the game. then 20$ beers and obviously the ticket cost. I normally spend 300 or more when Im gifted the tickets. just too expensive. and lets be serious no way im going to the Leafs game and not drinking to save money. lol

are they though? I always figured playoffs had nothing to do with season tickets
STH gets first dibs on their seats, usually need to commit by early March, if not they go on resale. Least that’s how it worked for me.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The unaffordable ticket prices are an issue pretty much in any market where you marry a market's passion for hockey in a high cost of living area.

There are othet markets where the cost would be less but the relative unaffordability is still very much an issue, but I still find Toronto to sound relatively quiet in general, at least from tv viewing.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
There's an expression in french "chat échaudé craint l'eau froide" (the cat that has dripped in hot water will fear the cold water) meaning Leafs fans have seen this dance before. And may be tentative in making fools of themselves by cheering for a lost cause.

Reactions: Oscar The Grouch

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
people are blaming the suits but every other Canadian city is absurdly expensive for tickets yet you don't see this complaint in other cities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad