Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
giphy.gif

JmbX2vz.jpg

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
One of those songs I didn't pay attention when it came out years ago, but today I heard the chorus out of nowhere and it got me.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Got a chance to listen more to them and looked into their history and made a mind blowing discovery. A kid I knew way back in the 70's actually joined the band according to what I read. I knew he was a musician and had a studio in his parents home and we'd hang around and mess with the instruments and all that. Never kept in touch or anything but he made some recordings and was in a few bands from what I read. I'll have to check out more of his work but I checked a few tunes out,solo and in a band that I had heard of. Thanks for bringing Camel up and giving me pause to reminisce of days gone by.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Got a chance to listen more to them and looked into their history and made a mind blowing discovery. A kid I knew way back in the 70's actually joined the band according to what I read. I knew he was a musician and had a studio in his parents home and we'd hang around and mess with the instruments and all that. Never kept in touch or anything but he made some recordings and was in a few bands from what I read. I'll have to check out more of his work but I checked a few tunes out,solo and in a band that I had heard of. Thanks for bringing Camel up and giving me pause to reminisce of days gone by.

That is a fascinating account, thanks for sharing. What instrument did he play with Kayak?

I’m not a fan of Kayak’s singing duo — it’s a little too melodramatic for my tastes, sounds suited for Broadway — it’s excellent, don’t get me wrong. I’m just more a fan of their musicianship, man those guys can rip it.

Between this and that Old Whistle 1973 tune you had posted, seems to me that the Netherlands produced a lot of great musicians who deserved far more attention. We’re lucky that you’re helping us discover them now.

I searched for several of their songs and found this one to also have great instrumentation:

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
That is a fascinating account, thanks for sharing. What instrument did he play with Kayak?

I’m not a fan of Kayak’s singing duo — it’s a little too melodramatic for my tastes, sounds suited for Broadway — it’s excellent, don’t get me wrong. I’m just more a fan of their musicianship, man those guys can rip it.

Between this and that Old Whistle 1973 tune you had posted, seems to me that the Netherlands produced a lot of great musicians who deserved far more attention. We’re lucky that you’re helping us discover them now.

I searched for several of their songs and found this one to also have great instrumentation:

He's the keyboardist.

Not saying it's my cup of tea either,just thought it was super cool to see someone I used to know actually make it? more that one would have expected. He was a cool dude, as are most of the guys I knew.

I get what you're saying but those were days. Many Canadian bands got no attention outside of Canada aside from a few and some nothing. That could probably apply to many bands from many nations though.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He's the keyboardist.

Not saying it's my cup of tea either,just thought it was super cool to see someone I used to know actually make it? more that one would have expected. He was a cool dude, as are most of the guys I knew.

I get what you're saying but those were days. Many Canadian bands got no attention outside of Canada aside from a few and some nothing. That could probably apply to many bands from many nations though.

For sure, there were bands that were unfairly denied. However, couldn't help but notice the high level of execution -- hence my comment. When other bands got no attention, they usually weren't at this level of musicianship.

As far as Canadian bands being denied, this song should have had far more attention when it was released but the band was mismanaged.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
For sure, there were bands that were unfairly denied. However, couldn't help but notice the high level of execution -- hence my comment. When other bands got no attention, they usually weren't at this level of musicianship.

As far as Canadian bands being denied, this song should have had far more attention when it was released but the band was mismanaged.

Oh I gotta learn that.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Oh I gotta learn that.

Hey peate, you had mentioned in another thread that you have a buddy who is into Euro prog.

Was wondering whether you knew of any bands or cuts that he has recommended or mentioned to you and whether you could share.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Hey peate, you had mentioned in another thread that you have a buddy who is into Euro prog.

Was wondering whether you knew of any bands or cuts that he has recommended or mentioned to you and whether you could share.
I didn't forget, next time I talk to him.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

I see what you're saying and it might be that in the NL music is very widely taught and many schools for it. It is taken very seriously there and might just be that when some wash out of the programs the cream remains and they go on to find their niche. I have no idea how programs and schools operate towards music education in North America and if it is even a sensible comparison.

The few songs I know from Chiliwack were good, but short lived? any attention in the States when they were together? From what I remember the Guess Who was pretty popular in the NL when I was a kid but that's just about it for Canadian Bands at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad