Proposal: MTL vs EDM

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Habs have depth. We got 3rd liners playing 4th line and guys like Perry, Frolik, Weal on our taxi squad. Habs would have to have a shit load of injuries to derail us and the strength to our team is you can't focus on one part or line or the other lines get you. Our PP is better, Our D is better, and our goaltending is the best in the NHL.

Leafs are very dangerous offensively but lets see how injuries affect their depth. Regardless, a lot has to go wrong for them to miss the playoffs. Reality

Flames are solid. Very solid now that they have a legit starter in net.

I had those 3 teams as well as the Jets in the top 4 mix. Too many question marks with the Oilers but I do see them contending with the Jets. Sens will be better but still miss out. Canucks will be in that mix to push for a spot but I think the fall short. If not for Price letting in some soft goals last night, they don't win the game. Lets see what the game looks like tonight.
This is a good post. I see it the same way. Montreal gets underrated because they don't have any PPG types like some of the other teams in the North division do. But that blueline is really good and the forwards (other than Drouin and Tatar) all play a 200 foot game. I like the Jets in goal and up front, their blueline is pretty brutal though. But they would still be my pick for 4th.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Third line hasn't clicked yet, but by that same logic I'd have only Toronto as having a better top 6 than us, Winnipeg arguably.

Every North team has a weakness. Ottawa's overachieving right now, we're underachieving. I'd have us right in the mix for 2nd/3rd, through Toronto might not be the shoe-in to win the division that I thought they were. Calgary's D group I'd argue is worse overall than it was last year.

The reality is there won't be much separating 2nd through 6th in this division, and whoever misses is going to feel like they got a raw deal.
Some good points here. I'd call our D slightly worse too. We don't miss Hamonic at all, that was no loss, but Brodie will be missed. If Tanev can keep up the play he has shown through 3 games I think we'll be fine. Giordano has definitely not been good since the return to play, what he does going forward will be key for us.

I do think you guys have the most talent in the division in the top 6, but as you know I question the 200 foot game of the 2 stars. I saw some of what you guys were talking about with Draisaitl's improved defensive play last night, but still saw McDavid flying the zone early often. Around the 13 minute mark of the 1st he took a pass at the Leafs blueline when they were hemmed in their zone. It didn't cost the Oilers, but could have had things broken differently. Also he was out by the blueline on the ugly Matthews goal. Several other instances as well. He has to stop doing that.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

actuallynotPJStock

Feb 28, 2014
We really don't have much need for D prospects though, assuming Romanov is off the table. Pretty stacked in that area

1st+Primeau+maybe a guy like Lekhonen if you need to send some salary back... but I will say that I think it's much more likely we make it and keep RNH.
You’re right, alongside Montreal, Edmonton has great defence prospects so my trade base can be dismissed. And yes, I would say Romanov is off the table, we see him as having a very bright future in Montreal. The Sergachev trade still stings haha.

If that offer was on the table, I would do that. But I agree, most likely he stays in Edmonton because he’s hard to replace.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Some good points here. I'd call our D slightly worse too. We don't miss Hamonic at all, that was no loss, but Brodie will be missed. If Tanev can keep up the play he has shown through 3 games I think we'll be fine. Giordano has definitely not been good since the return to play, what he does going forward will be key for us.

I do think you guys have the most talent in the division in the top 6, but as you know I question the 200 foot game of the 2 stars. I saw some of what you guys were talking about with Draisaitl's improved defensive play last night, but still saw McDavid flying the zone early often. Around the 13 minute mark of the 1st he took a pass at the Leafs blueline when they were hemmed in their zone. It didn't cost the Oilers, but could have had things broken differently. Also he was out by the blueline on the ugly Matthews goal. Several other instances as well. He has to stop doing that.
Yes, McDavid should have realized that Kassian was going to cough up the puck in the corner despite having full control and stayed back...

/sarcasm.

Any case lets focus on OP and not what a franchise player did at 14min mark of a game vs TML.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Yes, McDavid should have realized that Kassian was going to cough up the puck in the corner despite having full control and stayed back...

/sarcasm.

Any case lets focus on OP and not what a franchise player did at 14min mark of a game vs TML.
Not focusing on playing a detailed game is a big part of why the Oilers haven't lived up to the potential they should have. Details matter in hockey. Your centerman should never be playing ahead of the puck.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Not focusing on playing a detailed game is a big part of why the Oilers haven't lived up to the potential they should have. Details matter in hockey. Your centerman should never be playing ahead of the puck.
So if your winger has the puck in the corner the C needs to come back and support defensively instead of getting open for a break out pass?

Got it.

Sorry, but you cant blame McD for poor defense on that goal against. It was 40% on Kassian and 60% on Koskinen

I do agree that Oilers forwards as a group are poor defensively. McD not an exception.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
So if your winger has the puck in the corner the C needs to come back and support defensively instead of getting open for a break out pass?

Got it.

Sorry, but you cant blame McD for poor defense on that goal against. It was 40% on Kassian and 60% on Koskinen

I do agree that Oilers forwards as a group are poor defensively. McD not an exception.
Assuming as a guy from AB and someone who cares enough about the game to post here that you know as well as I do that the centers job there is to support the puck from -20 feet away and not be +80 feet ahead of the play. Forechecks in the NHL turn a lot of pucks over. It happens more than 100 times per game. You can't just assume a guy pressured at the goal line is going to hit you with a pass up at the blueline. The offside winger (if even then) is the guy who might have the opportunity to leak out. Yes, you hope Kassian handles the pressure and your goalie has to make that save, but McDavid can't be out of the zone already.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The Oilers aren’t missing the playoffs. They will be comfortably in a playoff spot come the trade deadline. So they will keep RNH for their playoffs. Then he can find a new team in the summer.
Ill be bookmarking this one. Their goaltending and D core are horrid. The entire division is going to be close all year no one is going to be comfortably in. The trade deadline is in 3 months.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Do you think he gets more for you than Duchene did for the sens? Because right now neither piece the sens got is playing for them and likely never does.

Ottawa got:

Abramov
Davidsson
1st (top 3 protected, ended up 19th)
Conditional 1st (condition was if he signs with CLB which can't be included anymore, but has value)

So call it a 1st, a 2nd, a good prospect (abramov) and a mediocre prospect (davidsson)

I'm not totally sure what the comparables for Montreal would be, but my 1st+Primeau+Lekhonen proposal is probably close

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ottawa got:

Abramov
Davidsson
1st (top 3 protected, ended up 19th)
Conditional 1st (condition was if he signs with CLB which can't be included anymore, but has value)

So call it a 1st, a 2nd, a good prospect (abramov) and a mediocre prospect (davidsson)

I'm not totally sure what the comparables for Montreal would be, but my 1st+Primeau+Lekhonen proposal is probably close
Thats a way better package than what Ottawa got. Davidsson never had any value. Lehkonen is a usefull player. Primeau is a much better prospect than Abramov.

My point is Drouin is tangible solid piece and player. Sometimes its better to take the player than the magic beans which in this case because there is a chance that the team blows the pick like the sens did on Thomson that you get nothing at all.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Do you think he gets more for you than Duchene did for the sens? Because right now neither piece the sens got is playing for them and likely never does.
I think RNH is a better player than Duchene. But I think prices for stars have gone down unless you take cap back.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Thats a way better package than what Ottawa got. Davidsson never had any value. Lehkonen is a usefull player. Primeau is a much better prospect than Abramov.

My point is Drouin is tangible solid piece and player. Sometimes its better to take the player than the magic beans which in this case because there is a chance that the team blows the pick like the sens did on Thomson that you get nothing at all.

RNH is the better player, in my estimation. He's certainly a much better player than Drouin is.

Abramov at the time was about on par with Primeau now, IMO. Goalies being voodoo and whatnot.

If we let RNH go, it'll be to add a winger in free agency. Drouin will take up almost all of RNH's cap space, has an extra year, and has holes in his game a mile wide, which is why we don't want much of anything to do with him.

Free agent winger + pieces from RNH trade is a much better return than just Drouin, who I reiterate I want absolutely nothing to do with.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Throwing it back at Habs fan.

How do you rank the following:
Kotkaneimi
2021 1st
Caufield

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Yeah but now the other team can focus on all the lines and scoring will be down for the Oilers. Oilers need to realize they are top heavy and go with it cause that's where most of their success has been in recent years. Make the other lines focus on D first. Spreading it out don't look good to me cause talent needs to play with talent and you only have so much of it.

Oilers are not getting out of the cap hell and depth issue problems that quickly. You got a few young guys that are knocking on the door so while you wait... Have the depth focus on playing D to limit goals and let Drai and McDavid do their thing. You probably enjoy watching those games.

How many games can you win like the one last night against the Leafs? I have my doubts and I watched that game.
Its not the forward lines but D pairings. Having McD and Drai on separate lines going against a team that has a significant drop off after top pairing gets one of the lines easier matchup.

Also, Oilers are out of cap hell after this season. Should still have north of 10M to spend after locking up RNH and Yamamoto.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Its not the forward lines but D pairings. Having McD and Drai on separate lines going against a team that has a significant drop off after top pairing gets one of the lines easier matchup.

Also, Oilers are out of cap hell after this season. Should still have north of 10M to spend after locking up RNH and Yamamoto.

True.

I have a hard time seeing us extending Larsson at this point, our dead cap drops by 2.2 mil, Chiasson and Khaira off the books, Russell's cap hit drops 2.75 mil.

RNH-McDavid-RW
Kahun-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Neal-Turris-Puljujarvi
Archibald-C-Kassian

Klefbom-D
Nurse-Bear
Jones-Bouchard
Russell

Koskinen
G

10-12 million to fill those holes is probably do-able.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Please define comfortably. They’ll finish 3rd at best, that’s not exactly “comfortable “
Imo the top three teams, TO, Cal, Oil, will be well ahead of fourth before the TDL. So no way RNH gets moved, when the Oil are in the playoffs. He’s gone as a UFA.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
What exactly would you want from Calgary?

Nothing really that the Habs could afford. Likewise Habs don't have anything that Calgary fans would like the price of. Just both teams have that more depth at every position even without the top end in them.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
True.

I have a hard time seeing us extending Larsson at this point, our dead cap drops by 2.2 mil, Chiasson and Khaira off the books, Russell's cap hit drops 2.75 mil.

RNH-McDavid-RW
Kahun-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Neal-Turris-Puljujarvi
Archibald-C-Kassian

Klefbom-D
Nurse-Bear
Jones-Bouchard
Russell

Koskinen
G

10-12 million to fill those holes is probably do-able.
Put Klefa on LTIR and its more like 20M of cap space without RNH.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad