Proposal: MTL vs EDM

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'm not so sure about that. I think there is a clear top 3 in Toronto, Calgary and Montreal. After that I'm not sure what happens. I'd take the Jets in that spot personally.

Haven't played the Flames yet, but the Leafs were thoroughly unimpressive last night. Montreal's better than I expected but we also only managed our D- and D+ games against them. I think the Oil are a playoff team.

Reactions: Luckylarry

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I'm not so sure about that. I think there is a clear top 3 in Toronto, Calgary and Montreal. After that I'm not sure what happens. I'd take the Jets in that spot personally.
Way too early for a clear top 3. These 3 could be the ones missing playoffs just as easily.
Lets see how battle of alberta goes this year. TML are far from locks for playoffs and MTL better hope Anderson doesnt injure himself.

Its pretty much a tossup in Canada, OTT included. Oilers arent a clear playoffs team either.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Oilers just dominated the Leafs. If they play smart defensively, they will win most games, and finish top three.
RNH is a key piece for them, so there’s no chance he’s taken out of that lineup, especially for futures. RNH will get a very good offer from a US based team come UFA day one.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Paying a center (who will be paid as a center) to play LW is stupid.

Good point! I don't understand why the Oilers don't move Drai back with McDavid and have RNH and Turris as the centers behind them. They are a top heavy team trying to deflate their attack by spreading it out. Makes no sense to me. Just have the other lines play sound D... it's not that difficult

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Here are the pieces available for a trade that might help you guys out (not putting scraps, because I know you don't want them):

Defense
Chiarot
Edmundson
Weber

Offense
Armia
Danault
Kotkaniemi
Lehkonen

Goaltending
Price
Allen

Let's discuss to see what you would like, and what you would be willing to trade in return.

I know other Hab fans would flip their shit seeing Weber's name out there, but I'm open to trading him for a good return.
Oilers need all of those players.

We have nothing worth trading to get them, and no cap space.

Also... why trade KK? He's only 20

Reactions: viceroy

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
We are more set at center than we have been in decades!

* Suzuki's development curve from his age 19 memorial cup run is very impressive. He lacks top end speed but his acceleration bursts is underrated. He's clever, skilled, and strong at both ends of the ice for a 21 year old center playing top 6 minutes in his 2nd NHL season.

* Danault is one of the best two way centers in the game. Laugh at that all you want but he can shut down anyone at 5/5. Go look at MacKinnon's comments recently towards Danault. Habs will be extending him and Danault wants to stay

* Kotkaniemi is 20 and coming along nicely. He's got the worth ethic (on and off the ice) and he would have more points this year if his wingers performed better. We seen a sample of that last night with Toffoli and KK had a 2 pt game. How many 20 year old centers do you know are playing their 3rd NHL season? Not many bud. The biggest issue with KK is he will take time and we knew this when we drafted him.

* Evans, Poehling, Hillis all have good development resumes as depth behind our top 3. Evans is underrated and Poehling might end up being placed on wing. But make no mistake, Poehling's time will come cause this kid is big and strong and stakes very well!

So yeah, laugh all you want but we are set at center.
Suzuki is good. Danault is a pending UFA and could be upgraded upon.

I would question the Kotka coming along nicely part. He has been meh at best. Probably taxi squad worthy thus far. Hopefully he takes the next step up and somewhat breaks out.

MTL IMO should be pushing hard for Kotka++ for PLD if they want to enter the contender territory.

They are set on D and G.

Reactions: HabsAddict

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Good point! I don't understand why the Oilers don't move Drai back with McDavid and have RNH and Turris as the centers behind them. They are a top heavy team trying to deflate their attack by spreading it out. Makes no sense to me. Just have the other lines play sound D... it's not that difficult
I think it is so the opponents dont just have to focus on one line but 2.

Reactions: ivanlwan and voxel

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Suzuki is good. Danault is a pending UFA and could be upgraded upon.

I would question the Kotka coming along nicely part. He has been meh at best. Probably taxi squad worthy thus far. Hopefully he takes the next step up and somewhat breaks out.

MTL IMO should be pushing hard for Kotka++ for PLD if they want to enter the contender territory.

They are set on D and G.

You won't find a better middle 2C in Danault in the NHL today! Upgraded on? You mean going to get a one dimensional soft offensive type? Come on man. Danault is a keeper and if he played on another team, he would be gold. He's way better than RNH in the two way game. His performance over the last 2 or 3 years is consistent and the evidence is there. Did you know that Danault has similar points to Dubois over the last few seasons? Shocker eh? Not saying Danault is better but he's 100% underrated. Want me to find McKinnon's comments on Danault recently? I'll trust NHL players and management over another fan base.

You can question KK coming not coming along all you want. He's 20, not 23. We will consider KK++ for Dubois. Why? Cause waiting on KK to reach 23 will mean Weber is gone by then and Price will be 35/36. However, the KK++ could very well back fire on us.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think it is so the opponents dont just have to focus on one line but 2.

Yeah but now the other team can focus on all the lines and scoring will be down for the Oilers. Oilers need to realize they are top heavy and go with it cause that's where most of their success has been in recent years. Make the other lines focus on D first. Spreading it out don't look good to me cause talent needs to play with talent and you only have so much of it.

Oilers are not getting out of the cap hell and depth issue problems that quickly. You got a few young guys that are knocking on the door so while you wait... Have the depth focus on playing D to limit goals and let Drai and McDavid do their thing. You probably enjoy watching those games.

How many games can you win like the one last night against the Leafs? I have my doubts and I watched that game.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Draisaitl - McDavid - Armia
Ryan Nugent Hopkin - Danault - Yamamoto
Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Puljujaarvi (Finn Line)
Ennis - Shore - Turris

Chiarot - Weber
Nurse - Bear
Edmundson - Barrie
KKKK

Price
Allen

Out:
Russell
Larsson
Klefbom (IR)
Kahun
Kassian
Nygard
Archibald Chiasson
Koskinen
Smith

Wait.. who did you want again?

Reactions: Peter Puck

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Oilers just dominated the Leafs. If they play smart defensively, they will win most games, and finish top three.
RNH is a key piece for them, so there’s no chance he’s taken out of that lineup, especially for futures. RNH will get a very good offer from a US based team come UFA day one.

This is what gives fans bases bad names . Did you watch the game ? The Oilers did not dominate the Leafs . They Leafs were the better team for the first 2 periods .

I am an Oiler fan but they been shit so far this year . I do think they will be better then they have shown to date . Playoffs are going to be tough this year with Klefbom out . Let hope Holland signing gel and start producing

Reactions: the Chad Kilger

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Oilers need all of those players.

We have nothing worth trading to get them, and no cap space.

Also... why trade KK? He's only 20

We don't want to trade KK but we will if we get Dubois cause he fits for the now and future while KK is about 22/23+ years. Dubois, Suzuki, Danault with good seasons left from Weber and Price fits, If we can pull that off. Blue Jackets scouts are watching KK... that I have no doubt on.

We are not desperate to make KK a spare part. That's not why we have KK+ on the table for Dubois.

actuallynotPJStock

Feb 28, 2014
As a fan of both teams, I can easily say RNH would cost a lot more than Drouin. Even though Montreal is set on C, RNH’s ability to play wing would fit in perfectly if we decide to move on from Tatar.

It’s been mentioned here that a first would have to be included in any potential trade, I would be more than comfortable with packaging our first and say one of our defence prospects as a base.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Here are the pieces available for a trade that might help you guys out (not putting scraps, because I know you don't want them):

Defense
Chiarot
Edmundson
Weber

Offense
Armia
Danault
Kotkaniemi
Lehkonen

Goaltending
Price
Allen

Let's discuss to see what you would like, and what you would be willing to trade in return.

I know other Hab fans would flip their shit seeing Weber's name out there, but I'm open to trading him for a good return.
Good lord what would you want for Danault? Would kill to have him in Edmonton.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
What game were you watching? I'd give a slight edge to Toronto in terms of overall play.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
This is what gives fans bases bad names . Did you watch the game ? The Oilers did not dominate the Leafs . They Leafs were the better team for the first 2 periods .

I am an Oiler fan but they been shit so far this year . I do think they will be better then they have shown to date . Playoffs are going to be tough this year with Klefbom out . Let hope Holland signing gel and start producing
He's such a key piece. I'd pick the Oilers to make the playoffs if he was in, but he's not. They have 1 all situations top 4 defenseman without him and he's a 2nd pairing guy. Klefbom is as key to the Oilers as anyone not named McDavid or Draisaitl.

Reactions: ElPrimeTime

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Yeah but now the other team can focus on all the lines and scoring will be down for the Oilers. Oilers need to realize they are top heavy and go with it cause that's where most of their success has been in recent years. Make the other lines focus on D first. Spreading it out don't look good to me cause talent needs to play with talent and you only have so much of it.

Oilers are not getting out of the cap hell and depth issue problems that quickly. You got a few young guys that are knocking on the door so while you wait... Have the depth focus on playing D to limit goals and let Drai and McDavid do their thing. You probably enjoy watching those games.

How many games can you win like the one last night against the Leafs? I have my doubts and I watched that game.
Having McDavid and Drai center their own lines is the only way this team succeeds with both of them.

Reactions: viceroy and voxel

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
As a fan of both teams, I can easily say RNH would cost a lot more than Drouin. Even though Montreal is set on C, RNH’s ability to play wing would fit in perfectly if we decide to move on from Tatar.

It’s been mentioned here that a first would have to be included in any potential trade, I would be more than comfortable with packaging our first and say one of our defence prospects as a base.

We really don't have much need for D prospects though, assuming Romanov is off the table. Pretty stacked in that area

1st+Primeau+maybe a guy like Lekhonen if you need to send some salary back... but I will say that I think it's much more likely we make it and keep RNH.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
What game were you watching? I'd give a slight edge to Toronto in terms of overall play.
HAHA.. you should read the GDT on the Oilers board.

We unanimously agreed that was probably the worst hockey anyone has seen played in years. The most listless and uninspired game where no team really seemed to wanted to win.

It had the same intensity as my buddies beer league rec game.

Nobody should ever boast about a win that ugly.

1st goal was a fluke-self goal.
2nd goal was a phantom call PP where we tripped out own player .
3rd was the most ridiculous empty netter, where they pulled their goalie when they didn't even have posession.

I think scoring chances that game was 3-2. We held a 1-0 lead for most of the game despite not having a single scoring chance up till that point.

Reactions: Odie Cleghorn

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Way too early for a clear top 3. These 3 could be the ones missing playoffs just as easily.
Lets see how battle of alberta goes this year. TML are far from locks for playoffs and MTL better hope Anderson doesnt injure himself.

Its pretty much a tossup in Canada, OTT included. Oilers arent a clear playoffs team either.

Habs have depth. We got 3rd liners playing 4th line and guys like Perry, Frolik, Weal on our taxi squad. Habs would have to have a shit load of injuries to derail us and the strength to our team is you can't focus on one part or line or the other lines get you. Our PP is better, Our D is better, and our goaltending is the best in the NHL.

Leafs are very dangerous offensively but lets see how injuries affect their depth. Regardless, a lot has to go wrong for them to miss the playoffs. Reality

Flames are solid. Very solid now that they have a legit starter in net.

I had those 3 teams as well as the Jets in the top 4 mix. Too many question marks with the Oilers but I do see them contending with the Jets. Sens will be better but still miss out. Canucks will be in that mix to push for a spot but I think the fall short. If not for Price letting in some soft goals last night, they don't win the game. Lets see what the game looks like tonight.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Haven't played the Flames yet, but the Leafs were thoroughly unimpressive last night. Montreal's better than I expected but we also only managed our D- and D+ games against them. I think the Oil are a playoff team.
Don't get me wrong, they could make the playoffs, but I think if they do it will be as the 4th team. I just look at the rosters. Calgary is deep up front, same with Montreal, both are clearly better on the back end and in goal than the Oilers. Toronto has a similar top heavy forward group, but I'd say guys like Hyman and Mikheyev are better than the third liners Edmonton sends out, they have 3 top 4 defensemen instead of 1 and I'd give them a slight edge in goal. It comes down to special teams I guess. If the Oilers can get special teams like they did last year they should be fine, but 5 on 5 I'd have them 6th in the North division.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Don't get me wrong, they could make the playoffs, but I think if they do it will be as the 4th team. I just look at the rosters. Calgary is deep up front, same with Montreal, both are clearly better on the back end and in goal than the Oilers. Toronto has a similar top heavy forward group, but I'd say guys like Hyman and Mikheyev are better than the third liners Edmonton sends out, they have 3 top 4 defensemen instead of 1 and I'd give them a slight edge in goal. It comes down to special teams I guess. If the Oilers can get special teams like they did last year they should be fine, but 5 on 5 I'd have them 6th in the North division.

It's no fluke that the Leafs, Habs, and Flames are off to good starts. Sens will be better but it then becomes a 4 team race for the last spot. I think the Oilers and Jets battle for that spot to be honest. We see it close to the same.

However, this does not factor in any major injuries.

With the Sens being better, this makes this division tougher. No legit top 5 contender but we have a shit load of teams in that 5-10 mix.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Third line hasn't clicked yet, but by that same logic I'd have only Toronto as having a better top 6 than us, Winnipeg arguably.

Every North team has a weakness. Ottawa's overachieving right now, we're underachieving. I'd have us right in the mix for 2nd/3rd, through Toronto might not be the shoe-in to win the division that I thought they were. Calgary's D group I'd argue is worse overall than it was last year.

The reality is there won't be much separating 2nd through 6th in this division, and whoever misses is going to feel like they got a raw deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad