Player Discussion Auston Matthews Discussion

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Personal awards don't really excite me. Who cares? I don't want to be too hard on him for this post season, but even if he was healthy would he look different in this series? I don't think so. The injury/illness is irrelevant. He has never put his team on his back and carried them in the playoffs.
The Tampa series last year he was very good. Then kind of faded in the Florida series.

His effort level is always there, but he doean't seem to have enough Dawg in him for extended periods of time.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Matthews was actually on a 16 goal pace in this playoffs with 1 goal in 5 games. Another fun number.
I was using career.

1714959543747.png

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The Tampa series last year he was very good. Then kind of faded in the Florida series.

His effort level is always there, but he doean't seem to have enough Dawg in him for extended periods of time.

We need someone to drag him into it more. A leader that can inspire and lead. JT and Marner ain't it. There is no dawg in those guys either. I think that's also a big problem.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He isn't. In some ways he is similar to Brett Hull. Hull didn't win until he went to Dallas and Detroit where he was just another piece so he could do his things while his teammates did the heavy liftings.

Yeah, or maybe if we want to build a winner around him, he's like Mike Modano, but you put a serious cast around him.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Remember in the playoffs vs MTL a few years ago, Matthew's was getting rag dolled and he was smiling not doing anything to defend himself? Thats who he is. He isnt a dawg. Thats why i liked Domi on his line, more than Marner. Domi will get after pucks and will defend Matthews and get a fighting major for him. That helps Matthews be a bit tougher etc. Ive never seen Matthews 6-3, 225 , lay someone out like he was sending a message. Leafs need a respected vet with balls, who can still play to call Matthews out in the playoffs to be more engaged and physical. Matthews goal scoring gets him off the hook for alot of things. Matthews has a poor compete level, its unknown game to game how engaged he will be. He was focused for one game in the playoffs and dominated the Bruins. He vanishes at times and has what seems to be low interest in making an impression on the game.

Reactions: JKG33

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Remember in the playoffs vs MTL a few years ago, Matthew's was getting rag dolled and he was smiling not doing anything to defend himself? Thats who he is. He isnt a dawg. Thats why i liked Domi on his line, more than Marner. Domi will get after pucks and will defend Matthews and get a fighting major for him. That helps Matthews be a bit tougher etc. Ive never seen Matthews 6-3, 225 , lay someone out like he was sending a message. Leafs need a respected vet with balls, who can still play to call Matthews out in the playoffs to be more engaged and physical. Matthews goal scoring gets him off the hook for alot of things. Matthews has a poor compete level, its unknown game to game how engaged he will be. He was focused for one game in the playoffs and dominated the Bruins. He vanishes at times and has what seems to be low interest in making an impression on the game.
I remember that, too. Well said.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Next season, he will tear up the league goal wise and feel he doesn't need to change. From October to April, teams will let him loop out of the zone, pick up speed, drive the net and score. People will talk about his goal scoring prowess and most / all will be forgiven / forgotten.

Then he will enter the playoffs, teams will NOT let him have space and he'll run into the same issues. So....

How does this get fixed?

I guess we're assuming it won't be fixed and Toronto will just have to build around him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3blizzard4

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
Because he's not that type of player. AM racks up the goals looking for opportunistic shots or getting fed by linemates.

Other high scoring forwards in the league can zip around deking or blowing past them on the wing (Pasta goal) and sniping a shot. McDavid, MacKinnin, OV are those kinds of players. AM isn't.

AM has size and weight too. But it's not his game to crash the boards like OV who s similar height and weight.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
AM was about to own the his series. His game 2 performance was sublime
Come on... One game out of 5? He wasn't even PPG in the series. You saws what McDavid was capable of during the LA series, right?

I don't even think he's the best U.S. Center - Eichel has been outstanding in the playoffs. McDavid, MacKinnon and Mekar are much better players than A.M.

I would not put A.M. in the Top 5. Some don't put him in the Top 10.

Last edited:

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
For those wondering, despite the season being over and that Auston is not going to play another hockey game for 5 to 6 months, he still is refusing to say why he missed games.

The most the laughable Toronto media could get from him was "got really sick" after Game 2, and then took a "weird hit and that's as detailed I'm going to get into it." Was it a flu like virus? "Something like that".

He's so entitled and arrogant. He's not going to play another hockey game for 6 months. No reason to continue the secrecy. I say continue the narrative that Auston Matthews misses games because his tummy is upset. If it was some warrior like legendary story, like a broken bone or punctured lung, they would be saying. The fact that he still doesn't want anyone to know....he must know it will make him look bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjd1001

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
AM was about to own the his series. His game 2 performance was sublime
You can take one game for a LOT of players, project a performance out and get the same result you did. Matthews has had 8 different years in the playoffs, I don't think he finally had that "one game" that flicked the switch after all this time. When he takes over an entire series, is dominant in 4 to 5 of the 7 games and actually DOES lead this team to a deep run in the playoffs then talk to us.

Personal awards don't really excite me. Who cares? I don't want to be too hard on him for this post season, but even if he was healthy would he look different in this series? I don't think so. The injury/illness is irrelevant. He has never put his team on his back and carried them in the playoffs.
Personal awards do excite me when a player is really young, but they have to be followed up by a lot of playoff success. Its great when you get that award/milestone, but that is not the endgame...that award/milestone should just be a step, an indication, something greater is coming.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I had a Matthews jersey on when I went to Game 7. Every Boston fan I encountered on the way home on the train called this guy a giant p***y for not playing in Games 5 and 6.

And people think this fanbase is tough on our little babies. lol

Reactions: thewave

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad