Confirmed Trade: [MTL/TBL] Jonathan Drouin + cond. 2018 6th for Mikhail Sergachev + cond. 2018 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
B+ trade for the habs, but i honestly thought that by including Sergachev they would target and acquire a top 6 center, and now hearing that the habs could move galchenyuk for a d-man i mean they can’t possibly go into the season with Danault and Plekanec as their top 6 center’s.

Feels like a sideways move to be honest.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
B+ trade for the habs, but i honestly thought that by including Sergachev they would target and acquire a top 6 center, and now hearing that the habs could move galchenyuk for a d-man i mean they can’t possibly go into the season with Danault and Plekanec as their top 6 center’s.

Agree with the rationale. Feels like the first of a few moves, to me.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
So wait - If Sergachev DOES NOT play 40 games for the Lightning they dont get a 2nd round pick?

How does that make sense?

I think the thought process is if he does not play the Lightning are being hindered and therefor get a better draft pick. If he plays 40 games it is a good thing for the Lightning... This though may be completely wrong.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I like this for the habs, but they still didn't get their center and now the sergachev trade chip is gone.

cafelatte

Jan 11, 2014
mete, juulsen, lernout...you're wrong

This ... Mete's potential a top 4 puck moving D is high ... Jullsen is rated as a top 4 shut down D and if you have seen Lernout play last year he is NHL ready as a bottom pairing D, bringing size, grit and surprising mobility for his size.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Solid trade for the Habs. Hard to predict how D will pan out. Drouin already established and exactly what the Habs needed

I hope both of them workout. Welcome to the new NHL where dollar value matters

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Drouin-Sergachev trade from Tampa perspective: Tampa received Mikhail Sergachev, a top 10 pick in the 2016 draft and a player with a lot of desirable attributes. He's big, quite strong for his age, while having incredible mobility for such a big defenseman. You combine that with above-average skill and Sergachev can make unique plays off the rush. He also has a good shot and doesn't shy from being physical. That being said, he's not a perfect player and it's why I'm slightly lower on him than the industry. His reads aren't refined, and for a player with his tools he doesn't dominate as consistently as he should. Some scouts attribute a lull in his game this season to a visible emotional let down after being sent back from the NHL, but through the OHL season and World Juniors I saw a very good prospect and only flashes of a great one. Sergachev could potentially be in the NHL next season, although likely not as an impact guy, with a more realistic time frame for an impact being in 2018-19 and beyond. He saves Tampa significant cap space. While Tampa fans may be hoping for more, the log jam at forward in the NHL, along with good NHL prospects coming (Taylor Raddysh in particular as well as Anthony Cirelli and Mitchell Stephens) at forward and little at defense addressed an organizational need not to mention their troublesome cap situation. Tampa didn't get better today for next season, but given their roster situation, and the fact anyone could see their leverage slipping away in trade talks, Sergachev is a fair return even if not spectacular.

From Corey Pronman - this was my take as well, Drouin is very good but Yzerman has been looking for a top 4 defenseman and Sergachev could be that next season. He's also on an ELC for three years which comes in handy with their cap crunch.

MTL finally gets their #1C, but man oh man is Drouin going to have soo much pressure on him to play well.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
From Corey Pronman - this was my take as well, Drouin is very good but Yzerman has been looking for a top 4 defenseman and Sergachev could be that next season. He's also on an ELC for three years which comes in handy with their cap crunch.

MTL finally gets their #1C, but man oh man is Drouin going to have soo much pressure on him to play well.

How did they get their #1C by trading for a LW?

Jul 6, 2016

Sergachev won't be à top four next season. He is not ready defensively. Lots to learn like keeping his head Up.

Drouin, hopefully will play lw, not centre.

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Hate the Habs but congrats as this is a solid move for them. I expect a few more significant trades as I MB retooling the roster and moving on from a roster than lacks balance. My money is on Patches changing addresses soon.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I am surprised by this trade. I did not necessarily want Drouin being traded to Montreal, but that was mostly because I was terrified that it would be Galchenyuk going the other way. Sending Sergachev out for Drouin is a very bold and interesting move that I do not hate. I do not think I would have done it, but it makes us a better offensive team without giving up anything from the actual roster. Also, while I do not personally give a flying fig about getting a francophone player, I do understand why Bergevin would think it is important. So, based on place of birth and potential talent, this is a trade that is acceptable for the Habs.

What I think is hilarious is the people trying to claim the Habs "lost" this deal. I still remember SOME people claiming it would take Galchenyuk and Sergachev to get Drouin from the Lightning...lol.

This is the kind of deal that is an actual "hockey trade". Both teams give up quality pieces. The Habs get a more proven product that has some warts, the Lightning get an expansion exempt blue chip defender with top pairing potential. It works and neither team won or lost. Of course the nimrods on HFBoards will try to claim one team won over the other when it is absolutely impossible to objectively determine that, yet.

Bergevin, this deal surprised and impressed me. Well done.

Hey I'm happy to see you supporting bergevin. Love to see Mackinnon come in to play with him

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

Drouin is Quebecois. It doesn't matter if he performs worse than Galchenyuk. If he's even close to Galchenyuk's level or a little better fans and media will look the other way on any shortcomings. Sideways move but it kind of deals with one of our problems which is media distractions. We really need a young guy on the left side now though cause we've got nothing in the pipeline except Mete who likely will only be a bottom pairing guy, as good as his progression has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad