Confirmed Trade: [MTL/TBL] Jonathan Drouin + cond. 2018 6th for Mikhail Sergachev + cond. 2018 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
This reminds me alot of when the Leafs made the mistake of trading for Kessel. Trading the future for a very good winger with no centers.
Both players are young, so I'm not so sure about the 'trading the future' comment.
Montreal needs a center for sure though...

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Why though ? Theres no reason he can't adapt to C. He did fine there most of his life

Why ? Because it's a very difficult position to play at a professional level. Either in the AHL or with Tampa, the handful of games Drouin played center were totally unimpressive.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
This reminds me alot of when the Leafs made the mistake of trading for Kessel. Trading the future for a very good winger with no centers. The wrong move at the wrong time. I can see Sergachev making this a very bad move for the habs in 2 years.
Not even close to the Brian Burke mistake...he traded, what was Seguin, and Hamilton, for Kessel....and there was one more B type of prospect...so not like that deal at all...

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
would gallagher+beaulieu+1st + fucale be enough for Duchene.

Without giving up galchenyuk

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Both players are young, so I'm not so sure about the 'trading the future' comment.
Montreal needs a center for sure though...

Sergachev or a second round pick has not played in the nhl yet, that means future. just like the leafs traded 2 first round picks that have not yet played in the nhl, that is also future. Drouin and Kessel was already in the nhl...

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Is Sergachev not on the same level of a prospect as Chabot? Would people be calling this a bad trade for TB if it was Chabot for Drouin swap instead?

I'd be thrilled if Habs lost Gallagher.

hockeyheadlines

Oct 9, 2016
Canada
Is Sergachev not on the same level of a prospect as Chabot? Would people be calling this a bad trade for TB if it was Chabot for Drouin swap instead?

Honestly, the people I'm seeing complaining the most are not even fans of either team.

Both teams come out of this with a plus. We get scoring help immediately and the Bolts get a blue chip prospect and a 2nd.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Not even close to the Brian Burke mistake...he traded, what was Seguin, and Hamilton, for Kessel....and there was one more B type of prospect...so not like that deal at all...

He traded a pair of 1st rd picks expecting the team to be good.
they weren't and the B's picked 2nd and 9th.

this deal is similar in the fact the habs just brought in a young talented winger, but still have a bunch of 3rd and 4th line Centers with no one suitable for a top 6 role

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

AVs don't really want Galy since they have quite a few Forwards on their roster, but they definitely don't want gallagher+beaulieu. The centrepiece they wanted was Sergachev...so they might be out of contention for Duchene.

If a package is offered on the lesser remaining pieces, it could be:

Duchene

For

Juulsen
McCarron
Fucale
2017 or 2018 - 1st Round

Still not so sure if this would be enough, NYI, Preds, CBJ, Ducks and Canes have the Centrepiece D they need.

Subby Dubby Doooo

May 19, 2013
Montreal, QC
I'm a huge fan of Jonathan Drouin - I think he can put up 65 points for the habs and really help their PP.

That said, Sergachev is a really good prospect and I think the talk of him having a bad year is not true. He had a very strong memorial cup and you could argue that his coaches in the world juniors didn't allow him to play his game. I could see him playing in a top 4 role for Tampa next season, and potentially being a real strong top pairing defenceman down the road.

I think if you're trading a prospect with as much potential as sergachev, you gotta get a center in return.

2 other notes:

1. Montreal's prospect pool is now depleted. I don't think Mccarron or Scherback are top prospects, and I think their only legitimate prospect is Julsen. It's clear that Montreal is in win-now mode. If they can't get something going this season, they're going to be a huge mess for many many years.

2. I don't think the habs are done. I think that there's no way Galchenyuk is still with the team when the season starts. So I wouldn't be super excited about the possibility of Galchenyuk centering Drouin. As much as we'd all love that to happen, it's clear that the Canadiens will move on from Galchenyuk.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Let me guess, you are a Leafs fan.........LOL...

The two trades, are not even close, and you know it...Burkie made a mess of things for years...he was perfect for you guys!! Oh well, it eventually brought you the Shan-a-plan!! :handclap:

take your blinders off...it is alot like the Kessel trade as it was a trade for a good winger when there are no centers on the team at his level to make the trade work effectively...if you cant see that then i dont know what to tell you. i take it you like the shanaplan, me too!

hockeyheadlines

Oct 9, 2016
Canada
As a Bolts fan I am much happier with this than a guy like Vatanen.

The big factor that some people seem to forget, Tampa is better than Montreal when it comes to developing talent and bringing them into the league.

It was a good deal for both teams. Congrats to Steve and Marc for working it out.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
damnnnnn as a habs fan, im not too sure. I love drouin and I loved and still do Sergs. Hes got the potential of becoming one of the leagues best Dman. Now, him and Hedman are going to be lights out. I hope Drouin becomes that ppg player everyone claims. Cuz if not and he tallies as a 50 to 60 point player, things might look real bad.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
That's a terrible deal for the Bolts.. Though I get it with looming expansion.

disagree.

1) Get one of the top D prospects in the league, and a good pick
2) Save money to sign Palat/Johnson
3) Lose no one significant in the expansion draft
4) get a significantly better return than just over a year ago when Drouin held out and demanded a trade (at age 21)

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
disagree.

1) Get one of the top D prospects in the league, and a good pick
2) Save money to sign Palat/Johnson
3) Lose no one significant in the expansion draft
4) get a significantly better return than just over a year ago when Drouin held out and demanded a trade (at age 21)

Good points.

IMO, at the end of the day point 4 is likely what was really the main factor behind this deal for Yzerman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad