Confirmed with Link: [MTL/STL] Marco Scandella (50% retained) for 2020 2nd round pick and cond. 2021 4th round pick

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
JR had good article with comments from Army. He said weren't looking for D until JayBo trade (which we basically knew). Said we like Mikkola and he is in our plans going forward but needed someone bc- and he was careful about saying this but- basically concern is nothing else after him if run of injuries. We focused on Dillon and Scandella and that we picked Scandella because our "pain threashold" was a 2nd and didn't want to add 3rd to that for Dillon. Also mentioned that Van Ryn had worked with Scandella previously so that was factor in getting comfortable.
Yeah, I think that's the biggest thing, nothing else after Mikkola. We need 8 NHL caliber dmen for the playoffs in case something goes wrong. Mikkola is still penciled into the main roster next season IMO.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
My initial reaction to this trade was negative. Seems like a lot for Scandella.

After taking some time to reassess and process the deal, I don’t HATE it. We really did have to make a move for a LHD, and paid an inflated TDL price to do so. It had to be done. Hopefully Scandella can slide right into the lineup and stabilize pairings. If he fits well in the lineup then it’s worth it IMO.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Again, dont think we could afford scandella if we resigned petro.

Scandella already makes more than twice as much as gunnarson
I don't hate myself enough to have watched much of the Sabres in recent years, so I have no idea of his current level of play. If he was getting traded for a fourth a month ago then I wouldn't imagine that he's been particularly great, so that could point to the possibility of a very reasonable extension if he impresses for the remainder of this season.

Our cap situation is tight going into next season, but it doesn't look like it would be too difficult for Armstrong to create flexibility. Right now it seems like it would only take trading Allen to be able to extend Pietrangelo, Dunn, Blais & MacEachern, while be cap compliant with a 23-man roster. If we're wanting to pay our backup more than ~$1m then someone else might need to be moved out.

If Scandella does well and is wanting a reasonable extension, term and dollars, then I'd expect a deal to be done. We can create space elsewhere and Armstrong always values the defensive depth more.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
There might lay some truth on bolded. Army has some bad habits to make hesitate moves when somebody gets hurt and if I remember correct Army did same few years back when he acquire zbynek michalek. It was almost like desperate move. Feel like this trade was too.

I hope Scandella is answer, but hate yet again say we might already had solution for Jbo's spot --> Mikkola, but he didn't get chance for it. :nopity:
Michalek didn’t work out, but he was simply a low cost insurance policy. But the health of the D corps resulted he wasn’t needed anyway. If the Blues had actually HAD a deep playoff run as expected, maybe it would have mattered. It’s no different than MDZ last year. It’s just depth so your post-season hopes aren’t so fragile with injuries.

I see nothing desperate in either move.

Having said that, there is the matter of replacing Bouwmeester’s spot after this season. Hopefully Mikkola can be in the mix there, but I won’t be shocked if they try to re-sign Scandella to a lower contract. But as many have pointed out, Pietro’s deal needs to be in place to help clarify what room is left.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
JR had good article with comments from Army. He said weren't looking for D until JayBo trade (which we basically knew). Said we like Mikkola and he is in our plans going forward but needed someone bc- and he was careful about saying this but- basically concern is nothing else after him if run of injuries. We focused on Dillon and Scandella and that we picked Scandella because our "pain threashold" was a 2nd and didn't want to add 3rd to that for Dillon. Also mentioned that Van Ryn had worked with Scandella previously so that was factor in getting comfortable.
That article did a great job in explaining their logic. They viewed Scandella and Dillon as the same player and Scandella was cheaper. He can't skate like Boumeester but he can actually shoot the puck so that's a trade off.

I havnt followed him at all since he left Minny, so idk what player we are getting

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I think it was Wheeler that said w/r/t the d-trades yesterday that Washington got the best overall player, STL got the best offensive player, and Winnipeg got the best defensive player. Seems fair.

All I know is that Scandella was really hard to play against in Minny, and he’ll be joining a d-corps that will emphasize the things he does best: play physical, move the puck, and join the cycle. He’s big and rangey, and I think he’s got the potential to be the second best left-shot dman overall we’ve had on the team in some time. I’ve got high hopes

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I think it was Wheeler that said w/r/t the d-trades yesterday that Washington got the best overall player, STL got the best offensive player, and Winnipeg got the best defensive player. Seems fair.

All I know is that Scandella was really hard to play against in Minny, and he’ll be joining a d-corps that will emphasize the things he does best: play physical, move the puck, and join the cycle. He’s big and rangey, and I think he’s got the potential to be the second best left-shot dman overall we’ve had on the team in some time. I’ve got high hopes
I think he’ll prove to be a good fit in this system. But if he’s a 3rd pairing guy who can play PK minutes, I think it was a good trade.

Reactions: bradrich99

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
I think we overpaid by a round, especially if we get bounced early this postseason. Would have preferred a 3rd rounder with the same condition as the 4th rounder.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I can't wait until Scandella is here and playing solid D on the left side that all of you naysayers come back and say what a good move it was by Army. Watch the guy play. Don't get your scouting expertise by reading the main boards.

I am happy for the deal and glad he is here. He will be a positive addition to the club.
Yeah, I really don't understand all this hand wringing about Scandella. He's basically a more consistent version of Eddy and also better on the PK, which we desperately need with Bo out. As much love for Eddy as there is in all the Faulk bashing I would have thought this would be a popular move.

I don't like that we had to give up a 2nd, but that's the market right now. On the other hand, I would have been fine spending a 2nd on a better player, but again this is the market. They needed to make a move and they did. As good as Mikkola has looked, you can't count on a guy with 5 NHL games being the fill-in for a veteran like Bo and not make a move if you plan on trying to repeat as champs. We heard it last year when we brought in Del Zotto and it bears repeating - you need 8-9 NHL ready defensemen going into the playoffs and now we have 8 including Mikkola. There is no way I would have been comfortable with any of Pouliot, Reinke, Walman or Dotchin being the #8 guy.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Another thing to keep in mind is that our 2nd is going to be a very late second.

Its kind of funny that in the GDT's the sky is falling,yet in the trade threads all our picks are multiples of 31. We are at a 40% point capture over our last 10 games. That is tied for the 4th worst point capture in the league over the last 10. If every team in the league keeps up their point capture over the last 10, we finish with 15th in the league and are picking solidly middle of the pack, and only a few points from being a lottery team. Now, it is doubtful everyone plays exactly at their pace over the last 10, especially us. But that just goes to show we have not wrapped up a high pick quite yet.

Even if we do, a late 2nd is still better than a late 3rd or the 4th Montreal gave up to get Scandella in the first place. In fact, it is exactly, 31 picks better than whatever our 3rd will be. There is value to be found there. Dunn was a late 2nd. Getting an 18 year old version of Dunn would be far more valuable than a few months of a middle/bottom pairing D. Again, I know getting a guy like Dunn is not guaranteed; in fact, the odds are against it. But our scouts have a good track record in later rounds. I want them to have as many bites at the apple as possible, as early in the draft as possible.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
I like the trade and think it's exactly what we needed. Sure up our defensive depth for another run, but retain our 1st to add to our prospect pool. I think Scandella will be a great fit on this team and actually wouldn't mind him extended 2-3 years if we can make the numbers work.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Its kind of funny that in the GDT's the sky is falling,yet in the trade threads all our picks are multiples of 31. We are at a 40% point capture over our last 10 games. That is tied for the 4th worst point capture in the league over the last 10. If every team in the league keeps up their point capture over the last 10, we finish with 15th in the league and are picking solidly middle of the pack, and only a few points from being a lottery team. Now, it is doubtful everyone plays exactly at their pace over the last 10, especially us. But that just goes to show we have not wrapped up a high pick quite yet.

Even if we do, a late 2nd is still better than a late 3rd or the 4th Montreal gave up to get Scandella in the first place. In fact, it is exactly, 31 picks better than whatever our 3rd will be. There is value to be found there. Dunn was a late 2nd. Getting an 18 year old version of Dunn would be far more valuable than a few months of a middle/bottom pairing D. Again, I know getting a guy like Dunn is not guaranteed; in fact, the odds are against it. But our scouts have a good track record in later rounds. I want them to have as many bites at the apple as possible, as early in the draft as possible.
There seems to be a lot of angst in these threads about the loss of picks, but it feels like everyone is missing the bigger picture.

First of all, we're going for a repeat of our championship from last season, and I can't understand why anyone would think that there wasn't eventually be some sort of price to pay for that. Every team in recent memory, certainly in the cap era, has gone through this to one degree or another.

Finally, remember that cap crunch we have coming up next season bringing Petro back? We've had countless discussions about who is going to have to be moved in order to fit his contract, and we are absolutely going to try to get that work done at or before the draft, picking up additional picks in the process. At this point, I would call it better than 50/50 that we replace the second rounder we just gave up with an earlier pick moving one or more of Allen, Bozak and Steen. It's even possible that we could pick up a first rounder in the right deal, or multiple second (or early third) rounders. I assure you that Army has the long view in all of this and he is executing a plan based on the sum of all moves present and future.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Finally, remember that cap crunch we have coming up next season bringing Petro back? We've had countless discussions about who is going to have to be moved in order to fit his contract, and we are absolutely going to try to get that work done at or before the draft, picking up additional picks in the process. At this point, I would call it better than 50/50 that we replace the second rounder we just gave up with an earlier pick moving one or more of Allen, Bozak and Steen. It's even possible that we could pick up a first rounder in the right deal, or multiple second (or early third) rounders. I assure you that Army has the long view in all of this and he is executing a plan based on the sum of all moves present and future.
Can’t see anyone giving up a 1st for any of the players you mentioned, but you never know...maybe if we end up moving Dunn or someone more valuable.

Regardless, very interesting point you bring up about the possibility of recouping pick(s) before the draft.

He can't stop smiling, that's pretty cool.

Ya love to see it. :nod:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
There seems to be a lot of angst in these threads about the loss of picks, but it feels like everyone is missing the bigger picture.

First of all, we're going for a repeat of our championship from last season, and I can't understand why anyone would think that there wasn't eventually be some sort of price to pay for that. Every team in recent memory, certainly in the cap era, has gone through this to one degree or another.

Our window goes beyond this year, unless Pietrangelo isn't re-signig. If Pietrangelo isn't re-signing, we didn't go far enough. We should have gotten Tofolli, Scandella AND Kreider however we could. But just replacing JBO isn't going all in on this year. So we need to be somewhat mindful of the future, even if that future is the next 4-5 years. We will need cheap ELCs as Thomas comes off his, Parayko will need a raise, etc.

Next year, you are right, we will have to shed cap. But you are wrong that shedding cap will bring us a whole bunch of assets. Allen is an uncertain starter and an expensive backup. At best, he is a neutral asset. Steen is absolutely a negative asset. Bozak could return a pick, but he is less valuable than Toffoli (less points this season and more cap hit). Being a C, we can probably get a 2nd out of him, and maybe a B-tier prospect. But that will just replace whatever we have to give up to move the other guys.

In the grand scheme of things, it is not a huge deal to move a 2nd. We are bitching because its a hockey forum and that is what we do here. Nobody is saying fire Army. We are only saying, its a meh signing. Ok player that I wish we could have had cheaper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad