Confirmed with Link: [MTL/STL] Marco Scandella (50% retained) for 2020 2nd round pick and cond. 2021 4th round pick

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah, we'll hold Perunovich's rights until the summer after his senior season, then he would become a UFA, so 2021. He technically could have his mind made up about becoming a UFA like Vesey, but he'd have to return to college.

There's probably a solid chance he signs a pro contract with us this summer though.

Reactions: Blueston

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
The goaltending situation in Toronto has helped us if we still try to move Allen this summer. Skimping on a backup almost cost Toronto their season this year and forced them to trade a couple assets for a goalie who was rocking a .900 at the time of the trade. Allen shouldn't be worth a 1st under any circumstance (AKA 50% salary retention), but he is more than a neutral asset. He is a fantastic trade target for a bubble or "on the rise" young team that is unsure about their goalie situation and is a couple years away from paying their good young core. For example:

Carolina has about $20M in space for next year and doesn't owe any major raises. If they aren't in love with their team .909 SV% and negative GSAA, they could easily take on Allen's contract without the cap hit being a concern. They have two picks in each of the first 3 rounds in this draft.

Philly has about $12M in space with no one due a real raise and Elliott is UFA (and has been not good). Hart is a 21 year old going through the highs and lows of learning to be an NHL starter. They should absolutely be looking for a good 1B veteran guy to mentor Hart and they have the cap space to not worry about the cap hit.

New Jersey has all the cap space and absolutely can't let Blackwood fend for himself for 65 games next year. They still think he can be an NHL number 1, but he needs a good backup/1B veteran to guide him through it.

There is generally a bit of a goalie carousel at the end of the year, but those are the ideal candidates coming to mind now. Jake Allen the player is a good value asset. He has a "great in the room" and "great mentor" reputation around the league and his on-ice play this year puts him into the top-end backup/1B tier. His cap hit is the hurdle there, but with just 1 year remaining, it isn't a long term issue for the receiving team and contract inflation has made it not all that above market value for a good backup. Halak got $2.75M AAV over 2 years to back up Rask. Khudobin got $2.5M AAV over 2 years to back up Bishop. Mrazek and Reimer are making $3.1M and $3.4M on multi-year deals in Carolina. Detroit gave Bernier $3M AAV for 3 years. Talbot got $2.75M on a 1 year deal as a UFA after he lost his starting job and posted a .892 as a backup. The going rate for a top end backup in UFA is around $3M and on a 2+ year deal. If you want to pay less than that or buy only 1 year, you are getting a backup with a noticeably worse resume than Allen. Any team looking for a 1 year solution to the backup/1B with cap space is going to kick the tires on Allen.

Again, he isn't worth a 1st, but he is absolutely a positive value asset.

Those guys you are mentioning that cost around $3M were all free except for Reimer who was traded for an even worse anchor contract. Allen makes over a million more than any of them, plus the cost of whatever asset we would be getting. You are also leaving out the cheaper options. Hutton signed 2 years at $2.75 while Smith, Elliott, Kuemper, McElhinney all make $2M or less. Its true that Allen has better numbers (this season) than most if not all, but he is also on a team that has consistently been one of the best defensive teams. Elliott, who you say has been bad, had posted amazing numbers with us. His numbers with Philly the past two years were comparable to Jakes those same years, and he makes less than half as much.

As for a team looking for a goalie to mentor someone, I think Jake would be a pretty piss poor option. He has been critiqued for a weak mental game, and has been woefully inconsistent. Those are the things a mentor should be able to help with. Jake can't even help himself. I'd prefer a less skilled goalie who has outplayed his skill, but time is catching up to him.

It is possible if the right team likes Allen and has a need, he could garner some interest. His numbers are up again this year. That always helps. Hutton earned his $2.75M on the back of a good season with us (unbelievable season really). Allen's #s aren't that good. If he can maintain .920ish save percentage, I guess a team who is in love with his potential might throw a 2nd or more likely a 3rd our way. But several things absolutely have to break the right way for that to happen. I don't have time to chart the goalie movements or look at depth charts, but I concede that there could be a situation where no good goalies are on the move and he nets a positive asset. But it would have to be a perfect storm, and that asset, as you said would be less than a first for sure. Still, I'll begrudgingly concede we may get the a pick back.

Also, for clarity, I am refering to Allen with 0 retention. Retaining would absolutely boost his value to a positive asset. But cap space is kingfor us right now. Moving the full $4M+ is far more important to us than retaining to get a better pick. When I said he was a neutral (to low I am now conceding) asset, I meant with 0 retention. Retention obviously makes him more palatable to another team, and less useful for us to move.

Reactions: Brian39

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I'm not going to wring my hands about the 2014 draft. Fabbri was looking like a great pick before injury derailed his career. Barby and Blais both came out of that draft and made valuable contributions to a Cup run. Husso is currently the team's top goaltending prospect as well. All in all, I'm not losing any sleep about our 3rd selection of the draft being a reach who busted.

I definitely get your point, and ultimately, no harm no foul right? We won a cup last year, so it’s not like picking and then trading Letunov harmed us long-term.

But every pick counts, and Blais is a great example of that. Having Dvorak or Montour or whoever else at that spot would have really made a difference for us long term, either in terms of trade ammo, cap management, or roster quality.

This is why I don’t really get some of our draft strategies lately, with guys like Trent Bourque. The guy didn’t score a goal until he was basically aged out of juniors. It seems like because we know we don’t have the roster room for everyone, we just draft a few people we know won’t make it each year, it’s crazy to me. Or taking big risks in the 2nd round (Letunov).... it’s the 2nd round! That guy should reliably be expected to be on your roster at some point. Don’t overthink it, just take the best guy available, and if you don’t end up wanting him, at least you have some trade fodder (for someone worth more than Michalek). Either use the picks you don’t want to move up, or move back a year, or something, don’t just take random guys off the board. Idk, I’m getting more and more skeptical with our drafting abilities over time, and I know that’s an unpopular opinion and “only x% of guys make it” and everything. I just don’t think it’s that hard to beat the game, so to speak.

Reactions: Ranksu

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Those guys you are mentioning that cost around $3M were all free

Yes, as UFAs. And they required multi year deals to land in unrestricted free agency. Which is what I meant when I said "The going rate for a top end backup in UFA is around $3M and on a 2+ year deal. If you want to pay less than that or buy only 1 year, you are getting a backup with a noticeably worse resume than Allen. Any team looking for a 1 year solution to the backup/1B with cap space is going to kick the tires on Allen."

Saving cap space requires purchasing more than one year of term, which is generally how it works at every position. I don't now how much more clearly I could have made it that Allen is a good option for teams who aren't interested in committing cap space to a goalie beyond one season.

You are also leaving out the cheaper options. Hutton signed 2 years at $2.75 while Smith, Elliott, Kuemper, McElhinney all make $2M or less.

How are those signings going?

Hutton: posted a .908 as the 1A last year, is currently posting an .894 as the backup and Buffalo is on the hook for another season next year.

McElhinney: working fairly well as an adequate backup. Also required a 2 year deal that takes him to almost 38. Almost nothing on his resume suggests he is capable of being a tandem/1B/high end backup as he has pretty much always been an adequate backup. This has been a good signing for a team looking for an adequate backup to take 20ish starts from an elite goalie. That isn't the marketplace for a guy like Allen.

Smith: He's posting a .905 and is part of a tandem that is without question providing goaltending in the league's bottom third (6th worst even strength SV% in the league). He's getting outplayed by Koskinen and if Edmonton misses the playoffs and wastes another season of Drai/McDavid, goaltending will be a big reason why. They are spending $3.75M to Smith for this contribution.

Elliott: He's rocking an .898 this season, which has helped the Flyer to 24th in the NHL in 5 on 5 SV%. Philly is in a dog fight for a playoff spot despite being the 9th highest scoring team in the league.

Kuemper: He has worked out super well. But he wasn't free. The Yotes traded Tobias Reider for him, who (at the time of the trade) was a 15 goal, 35 point middle 6 forward with 300 NHL games of experience at 25 years old (plus a backup no one cared about). He had a better resume at the time of that trade than Sunny has right now. He wasn't a major asset, but it also wasn't s low cost price to get Kuemper. Prior to his Arizona days, he had never hit the 30 start mark and was below average in every season but one. Arizona signed him mid season and he didn't play all that well in that first partial season with them. He was not a sure thing. Every year there is maybe one guy who makes the jump like he did and your odds of getting that guy aren't great.

So of these options, you have 1 really good outcome that required trading a young middle 6 forward to obtain, 1 option who has worked out fine in a role that is substantially lesser than the role a team would be looking to fill via Allen and 3 guys who are actively costing their teams by providing noticeably below average goaltending. Of the 4 cheaper guys signed to play the role Allen would be brought in to play (Hutton, Elliott, Smith, and Kuemper) 1 of them has worked out. So using these comparables, a GM has to accept that going the budget route in a tandem/1B role has about a 25% chance of working out. That's not much of an argument in favor of going budget UFA shopping if cap space isn't a concern.

As for a team looking for a goalie to mentor someone, I think Jake would be a pretty piss poor option. He has been critiqued for a weak mental game, and has been woefully inconsistent. Those are the things a mentor should be able to help with. Jake can't even help himself. I'd prefer a less skilled goalie who has outplayed his skill, but time is catching up to him.

This is true so long as you ignore the opinions of all of his team mates, our front office and the rumors that several teams were interested in him over the summer to play in that capacity. Every player in our locker room (especially Binner) bends over backwards to talk about what a pro he is and how much he helps in the locker room. Binner frequently talks about how he is a great teammate, an incredibly hard worker and helped him grow as a goalie entering the league. If you want to claim that is all some facade put on by the team, go listen to Binner's interview on Spittin Chiclets. He is open and honest throughout that entire interview and praised Allen way more than you would expect an open guy to do if he were just selling the company line. One of the biggest "inside the locker room" stories in the Cup Final was about him studying film on opposition goalies and mimicking their style during practice. By all accounts of everyone involved in the Blues organization, he is a fantastic mentor and locker room guy. The fact that he can't hack it as a 55 start guy doesn't change that. He has consistently and repeatedly provided very good on-ice performance when he is in a tandem/backup role, which is exactly the role we are talking about him going to fill.

It is possible if the right team likes Allen and has a need, he could garner some interest. His numbers are up again this year. That always helps. Hutton earned his $2.75M on the back of a good season with us (unbelievable season really). Allen's #s aren't that good. If he can maintain .920ish save percentage, I guess a team who is in love with his potential might throw a 2nd or more likely a 3rd our way. But several things absolutely have to break the right way for that to happen. I don't have time to chart the goalie movements or look at depth charts, but I concede that there could be a situation where no good goalies are on the move and he nets a positive asset. But it would have to be a perfect storm, and that asset, as you said would be less than a first for sure. Still, I'll begrudgingly concede we may get the a pick back.

He has a .922 so far this season and posted a .922 from 1/8/19 to the end of last season. I pick that 1/8/19 date because Binner's first start was the night before and I think it fairly represents Allen's transition from starter to backup. Allen posted an .824 that night and then only played 2 more games in the month of January, so I'm not just cherry picking a game where he played super well in order to start the sample size. We're talking about 13+ months of him being a .922 goalie at this point, not some 2 month anomaly. He posted a .920 in a timeshare with Elliott back in 2015/16. This is the goalie he has always been when he's not asked to carry a starter's workload. I agree that his numbers aren't as good as Hutton's insane season that earned him a 3 year deal at $2.75M AAV. A huge part of the reason that AAV is so much lower than Allen's current hit is because Buffalo had to take on 3 years of risk instead of 1 year. At the least predictable/consistent position in sports, a 3 year commitment to an outside hire is a substantial risk. Allen's 1 remaining year of term is a big positive on the cost/benefit analysis.

I just don't see Allen continuing to be the goalie he has been for over a year and a team wanting a quality player with a good locker room reputation as a perfect storm. While his AAV is decidedly a negative on the ledger, the 1 year term is a positive compared to the term required to land a comparable UFA.

There are 34 goalies who have played between 10 and 30 games this year. Allen is 7th in SV%. Only 12 of those 34 guys have a SV% of .915 or higher. Even with regression, he's going to be one of the best goaltending options on the market this summer. The better/comparable options (potentially Halak, Khudobin, Francouz, Crawford and arguably Talbot/Greiss/) will be looking for term, similar/more money and/or a starting job. Allen has zero trade protection. Unlike these UFAs, he can't ignore the team who is only offering 25-30 starts if that team won't give them a 3rd year of term to make up for the career limiting usage. What UFA goalie coming off a good season is interested in taking a 1 year deal to go play behind the dumpster fire in NJ, knowing fully well that they see Blackwood as the goalie of the future and playing 2nd fiddle in NJ for 2 years almost certainly either ends your career or vastly limits your next contract?

Also, for clarity, I am refering to Allen with 0 retention. Retaining would absolutely boost his value to a positive asset. But cap space is kingfor us right now. Moving the full $4M+ is far more important to us than retaining to get a better pick. When I said he was a neutral (to low I am now conceding) asset, I meant with 0 retention. Retention obviously makes him more palatable to another team, and less useful for us to move.

I agree that moving the full salary should be a bigger priority than getting a better asset in return. If you move Allen, it is because the contract not because of his play. If you're moving a guy due to his contract, you need to move as much as you can.

With all that said, if I had to put money on it right now, I'd bet that Allen starts next year as a Blue. Husso is looking less and less like the answer. He has a .902 in the AHL this year, which is 36th in the league. I was more than willing to chalk up last year's disaster to injury, but it is getting harder to say that he is ready to back up a contender after 2 sub-par AHL seasons. Barring Husso showing something in the next couple months, moving Allen probably means that we are in the market for a reliable backup if we move Allen. Binner's increasingly lengthy slump is also a bit concerning, although Berube seems unwilling to dial back his workload when he has a good 2nd option in Allen, so maybe we would be content bringing in a guy who can be fine for 15-20 starts. That doesn't seem like Army's normal operating procedure, so I'd expect the team to be in that $2-$3M backup market. At that point, how much of a downgrade are we willing to take to save $1.5-2M? Given how the organizational goaltending has played out so far, I'm starting to think Bozak and Steen will be viewed as more expendable as cap casualties than Allen.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoshFromMO

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
But every pick counts, and Blais is a great example of that. Having Dvorak or Montour or whoever else at that spot would have really made a difference for us long term, either in terms of trade ammo, cap management, or roster quality.

This is why I don’t really get some of our draft strategies lately, with guys like Trent Bourque. The guy didn’t score a goal until he was basically aged out of juniors. It seems like because we know we don’t have the roster room for everyone, we just draft a few people we know won’t make it each year, it’s crazy to me. Or taking big risks in the 2nd round (Letunov).... it’s the 2nd round! That guy should reliably be expected to be on your roster at some point. Don’t overthink it, just take the best guy available, and if you don’t end up wanting him, at least you have some trade fodder (for someone worth more than Michalek). Either use the picks you don’t want to move up, or move back a year, or something, don’t just take random guys off the board. Idk, I’m getting more and more skeptical with our drafting abilities over time, and I know that’s an unpopular opinion and “only x% of guys make it” and everything. I just don’t think it’s that hard to beat the game, so to speak.

Statistically, that's not really true in the NHL. Only about 44% of 2nd round picks play 50 or more career NHL games. That number dips below 40% once you hit the 2nd half of the 2nd round. A player drafted in the middle of the 2nd round has less than a 30% chance of playing 200 NHL games. Those numbers are already pretty well below a reliable expectation of sticking in the show and they obviously get even lower if you are just looking at the guys who did that for the team who drafted them before hitting a point where the team lost their rights.

I think it is significantly harder to "beat the game" than you believe it is.

In 2011, we drafted Jaskin and Edmundson in the 2nd round. They are 2 of just 9 guys drafted in that round to be at the 300 NHL game mark (10 if you count John Gibson who has appeared in 280 games but been in the lineup for over 300).

Parayko is 16th in his draft class for games played despite being drafted 86th. 7 guys picked in the 2nd round that year have 200+ NHL games 8 seasons later (no one short of that mark will hit it by the end of the year).

Barby is 22nd in his draft class for games played as the 33rd overall pick. We're 6 years out from that draft and only 6 2nd rounders have played 100 NHL games. The other 24 have all played fewer than 60 NHL games. Having Dvorak or Montour would be great. Those are literally the 2 most successful 2nd rounders that year. Only 16 of the 158 picks after Letunov have played 100 NHL games. 10%. 10% of picks after Letunov stuck for 1.25 NHL seasons. From the same draft class, Blais is 47th in games played despite being picked 176th.

Dunn is 18th in games played among his draft class despite being picked 56th. He is one of 9 2nd rounders that year to play 100 NHL games.

After the first round, you are talking about players whose odds of sticking in the NHL for more than a few cups of coffee are less than a coinflip. The odds of them not just sticking in the league, but actually being positive contributors to their team during the years of team control are probably half that.

Last year we won the Cup. Both our goaltenders were drafted by the organization. 4 of our D were drafted by the organization and all but one of those were picked outside the 1st round. 7 of the forwards were drafted by the organization. That's 13 of the 23 players who played in the playoffs who were drafted by the team. That does not include Sunny or Sanford who each came to the organization with less than 30 NHL games played. This team has drafted and developed talent exceptionally well.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Had my doubts, but he seems to be having a great effect on the team. As mentioned earlier this moves Faulk back to the right.

Now we're deep on the left side again (includes Mikkola too).

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I definitely get your point, and ultimately, no harm no foul right? We won a cup last year, so it’s not like picking and then trading Letunov harmed us long-term.

I think you are severely underestimating, if not undermining, how hard drafting and development is.

To say it's not hard to beat the game tells me that there is some clairvoyant formula that will work a statistically significant amount of time that no one seems to be using. Even using the "BPA" strategy is muddied at some point because then you will have to define what the "best" is when trying to pick a player past the first 62 picks. Taking players the most points or highest point percentage isn't infallible, just look at Morgan Frost and his 62 points in 67 games. Those aren't numbers to sneeze at, but there were players like Kole Lind and Jason Robertson that had higher marks in both regards and yet were drafted after Frost. I don't think many Philly fans are up in arms about that pick. There are plenty of other strategies out there as well, and each have their respective drawbacks.

There are definitely teams that need to revaluate their philosophies and tendencies because of how poor they have been in recent years. Teams like New Jersey seem to screw up every top pick they receive, and they've suffered, and will continue to suffer, greatly for it. But even a drafting powerhouse like Tampa can't bat 1.000, or even .400 for that matter (if looking at the last 10 drafts at least). The Blues certainly aren't the best at it, but they have a formula that has led to picks like Thomas, Kostin, Kyrou, Dunn, Fabbri, Mikkola, Parayko, Blais, Binnington, Edmundson, Barbeshev, and MacEachern (ignoring Schwartz and Tarasenko due to the different scouting director at the time). That's a pretty strong list of support for the team, and all besides Kyrou, Kostin, and Mikkola were contributors to last year's Cup winning team.

The point is, drafting isn't easy, and if it were, there wouldn't be much talk or discussion about it.

Last edited:

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Statistically, that's not really true in the NHL. Only about 44% of 2nd round picks play 50 or more career NHL games. That number dips below 40% once you hit the 2nd half of the 2nd round. A player drafted in the middle of the 2nd round has less than a 30% chance of playing 200 NHL games. Those numbers are already pretty well below a reliable expectation of sticking in the show and they obviously get even lower if you are just looking at the guys who did that for the team who drafted them before hitting a point where the team lost their rights.

I think it is significantly harder to "beat the game" than you believe it is.

In 2011, we drafted Jaskin and Edmundson in the 2nd round. They are 2 of just 9 guys drafted in that round to be at the 300 NHL game mark (10 if you count John Gibson who has appeared in 280 games but been in the lineup for over 300).

Parayko is 16th in his draft class for games played despite being drafted 86th. 7 guys picked in the 2nd round that year have 200+ NHL games 8 seasons later (no one short of that mark will hit it by the end of the year).

Barby is 22nd in his draft class for games played as the 33rd overall pick. We're 6 years out from that draft and only 6 2nd rounders have played 100 NHL games. The other 24 have all played fewer than 60 NHL games. Having Dvorak or Montour would be great. Those are literally the 2 most successful 2nd rounders that year. Only 16 of the 158 picks after Letunov have played 100 NHL games. 10%. 10% of picks after Letunov stuck for 1.25 NHL seasons. From the same draft class, Blais is 47th in games played despite being picked 176th.

Dunn is 18th in games played among his draft class despite being picked 56th. He is one of 9 2nd rounders that year to play 100 NHL games.

After the first round, you are talking about players whose odds of sticking in the NHL for more than a few cups of coffee are less than a coinflip. The odds of them not just sticking in the league, but actually being positive contributors to their team during the years of team control are probably half that.

Last year we won the Cup. Both our goaltenders were drafted by the organization. 4 of our D were drafted by the organization and all but one of those were picked outside the 1st round. 7 of the forwards were drafted by the organization. That's 13 of the 23 players who played in the playoffs who were drafted by the team. That does not include Sunny or Sanford who each came to the organization with less than 30 NHL games played. This team has drafted and developed talent exceptionally well.

Well, suffice it to say that I just plainly disagree.

I posted this in the 2020 draft thread, but: We think the Vancouver Canucks may have a scouting problem(!!!!)

Basically Rhys Jessop simulated what would have happened if, instead of whatever tf the Canucks were trying to do in the draft, they just picked the highest available forward goal scorer from the CHL for each of their draft positions. No other conditions, just: when you pick, get the forward who scored the most in the CHL. It’s something so simple, a potato could do it.

By the end of the experiment, the Nucks had drafted:
  • Justin Williams
  • Jason Pominville
  • PA Parenteau
  • Matt Stajan
  • Max Talbot
  • Mike Richards
  • Clarke MacArthur
  • Brad Richardson
  • Brandon Dubinsky
  • Matt D’Agostini
  • Claude Giroux
  • Mathieu Perrault
  • Tyler Ennis
  • Brendan Gallagher
And on and on and on. You might say, well, who cares, they were one game away from the Cup without drafting those players, so what’s the big deal? They had a great roster for awhile, even though they drafted bad! If that’s the way you feel, I think we probably just have different opinions about how to build a roster.

Another argument you could make is that Jessop’s experiment had its fair share of misses too, which is absolutely true. But his experiment was intentionally overly-simple. You extend his methodology to include relative score-rates for other leagues, and account for games played and other relatively intuitive factors like position, and I find it hard to believe that a single person working full-time, much less a full scouting staff, couldn’t find a way to beat the odds.

Good isn’t ever good enough; even when things are going well, there’s always a way to be better, and leaving value on the table in the draft is a good recipe for bottoming out, especially when you’re trying to keep a window open and picks are at a premium (i.e. you’re likely to trade your 1st rounders). Drafting guys like Bourque, or reaching on a guy like Letunov “because we already drafted Barbashev and Fabbri” just doesn’t get the job done. You get at max 7 players a year for free, that’s a slim margin of error for trying to get cute with it. Not only are you missing out on good players, you’re handing them over to your opponents and getting plum nothing in return.

I guess I just don’t feel like “we could/should be doing better” is that controversial of an opinion at the end of the day

m1a2lt

Jul 13, 2009
Back to topic: after scandella’s play tonight, I heartily welcome him to St. Louis and the note and hope we have many more nights of play like this. I could see him being a Maroon type to the defense. His work ethic is amazing and hope that elevates those around him (not with skill but with will). I officially like the trade. Once again, Buffalo screws up a trade.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Back to topic: after scandella’s play tonight, I heartily welcome him to St. Louis and the note and hope we have many more nights of play like this. I could see him being a Maroon type to the defense. His work ethic is amazing and hope that elevates those around him (not with skill but with will). I officially like the trade. Once again, Buffalo screws up a trade.

Let’s hope it isn’t the last trade they screw up with us! If we can’t have an actual farm team, I’d be happy to use Buffalo as a stand-in for the time being.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

I posted this in the 2020 draft thread, but: We think the Vancouver Canucks may have a scouting problem(!!!!)

Basically Rhys Jessop simulated what would have happened if, instead of whatever tf the Canucks were trying to do in the draft, they just picked the highest available forward goal scorer from the CHL for each of their draft positions. No other conditions, just: when you pick, get the forward who scored the most in the CHL. It’s something so simple, a potato could do it.

• Justin Williams
  • Jason Pominville
  • PA Parenteau
  • Matt Stajan
  • Max Talbot
  • Mike Richards
  • Clarke MacArthur
  • Brad Richardson
  • Brandon Dubinsky
  • Matt D’Agostini
  • Claude Giroux
  • Mathieu Perrault
  • Tyler Ennis
  • Brendan Gallagher
And on and on and on. You might say, well, who cares, they were one game away from the Cup without drafting those players, so what’s the big deal? They had a great roster for awhile, even though they drafted bad! If that’s the way you feel, I think we probably just have different opinions about how to build a roster.

Another argument you could make is that Jessop’s experiment had its fair share of misses too, which is absolutely true. But his experiment was intentionally overly-simple. You extend his methodology to include relative score-rates for other leagues, and account for games played and other relatively intuitive factors like position, and I find it hard to believe that a single person working full-time, much less a full scouting staff, couldn’t find a way to beat the odds.

Good isn’t ever good enough; even when things are going well, there’s always a way to be better, and leaving value on the table in the draft is a good recipe for bottoming out, especially when you’re trying to keep a window open and picks are at a premium (i.e. you’re likely to trade your 1st rounders). Drafting guys like Bourque, or reaching on a guy like Letunov “because we already drafted Barbashev and Fabbri” just doesn’t get the job done. You get at max 7 players a year for free, that’s a slim margin of error for trying to get cute with it. Not only are you missing out on good players, you’re handing them over to your opponents and getting plum nothing in return.

I guess I just don’t feel like “we could/should be doing better” is that controversial of an opinion at the end of the day
It’s interesting, but the Vancouver ‘simulation’ is pretty flawed. If any team limited themselves to just drafting forwards and removed all defensemen and goalies from their board, they’d hit on more forwards. But their team development would be a disaster. (Having said that, Vancouver’s drafting was horrendous.)

Anyway, I don’t think that article really outlines anything particularly useful or reasonable for how to hit on prospects more frequently.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
It just goes back to trade deadline activity in general. You’re a guy that has been with the team all season, or maybe you’re waiting for a call up from the AHL. Instead, now there’s an extra body at practice and in the locker room, taking your games and your ice time. It introduces just a little bit of chaos and frustration into the mix on a psychological level. That’s why I’m not a fan of deadline rental deals in general. You’re much better off doing your building in the summers, and letting the chips fall where they may (which, lately it seems like Army agrees with that philosophy).
Not seeing it. Jokinen took nobody’s ice time. And the roster limit is removed, so I don’t think he even prevented anyone from being called up in the postseason.

I agree that team building is done more effectively in the off-season. The trade deadline is never a panacea. But I think Armstrong’s general approach of ensuring experienced depth at all positions is a sound philosophy. The postseason is brutal.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
It’s interesting, but the Vancouver ‘simulation’ is pretty flawed. If any team limited themselves to just drafting forwards and removed all defensemen and goalies from their board, they’d hit on more forwards. But their team development would be a disaster. (Having said that, Vancouver’s drafting was horrendous.)

Anyway, I don’t think that article really outlines anything particularly useful or reasonable for how to hit on prospects more frequently.

It’s not meant to be an article about an actual strategy to draft good. He isn’t saying “smart teams should do this.” He’s saying that it’s so easy to outperform the Canucks’ drafting, even by putting ridiculous conditions around your picks and making no actual decisions, that basically a potato could do it. It’s obvious that a team with a full-time staff dedicated to drafting *should* have a draft strategy more nuanced than “take Canadian with most points.” But it really isn’t much more complicated than that.

Plus, he’s right, goalies are voodoo, and dmen are hard to predict. But if you’re good at drafting forwards, which are relatively easy to draft, you can trade them for the other pieces you need later. Pretty simple stuff.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
It’s not meant to be an article about an actual strategy to draft good. He isn’t saying “smart teams should do this.” He’s saying that it’s so easy to outperform the Canucks’ drafting, even by putting ridiculous conditions around your picks and making no actual decisions, that basically a potato could do it. It’s obvious that a team with a full-time staff dedicated to drafting *should* have a draft strategy more nuanced than “take Canadian with most points.” But it really isn’t much more complicated than that.

Plus, he’s right, goalies are voodoo, and dmen are hard to predict. But if you’re good at drafting forwards, which are relatively easy to draft, you can trade them for the other pieces you need later. Pretty simple stuff.
And I’m saying the results of his Potato are a bit of an artifact from having more picks to work with since they ‘cheated’ by skipping goalies and defense. It’s not as productive as it appears at first glance.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I think you are severely underestimating, if not undermining, how hard drafting and development is.

To say it's not hard to beat the game tells me that there is some clairvoyant formula that will work a statistically significant amount of time that no one seems to be using. Even using the "BPA" strategy is muddied at some point because then you will have to define what the "best" is when trying to pick a player past the first 62 picks. Taking players the most points or highest point percentage isn't infallible, just look at Morgan Frost and his 62 points in 67 games. Those aren't numbers to sneeze at, but there were players like Kole Lind and Jason Robertson that had higher marks in both regards and yet were drafted after Frost. I don't think many Philly fans are up in arms about that pick. There are plenty of other strategies out there as well, and each have their respective drawbacks.

There are definitely teams that need to revaluate their philosophies and tendencies because of how poor they have been in recent years. Teams like New Jersey seem to screw up every top pick they receive, and they've suffered, and will continue to suffer, greatly for it. But even a drafting powerhouse like Tampa can't bat 1.000, or even .400 for that matter (if looking at the last 10 drafts at least). The Blues certainly aren't the best at it, but they have a formula that has led to picks like Thomas, Kostin, Kyrou, Dunn, Fabbri, Mikkola, Parayko, Blais, Binnington, Edmundson, Barbeshev, and MacEachern (ignoring Schwartz and Tarasenko due to the different scouting director at the time). That's a pretty strong list of support for the team, and all besides Kyrou, Kostin, and Mikkola were contributors to last year's Cup winning team.

The point is, drafting isn't easy, and if it were, there wouldn't be much talk or discussion about it.

In hockey, teams draft 18 year old kids. In the case of Erik Johnson, he was an 18 year old high school student when drafted first overall by the Blues. Teams have to try to guess what the draftees will be five years down the road.

With pro football, by comparison, they draft 21 or 22 year olds , many of whom played college ball in extremely high level amateur programs.

Reactions: Klank Loves You

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I viewed his leg speed isn't anything near as good Jbo's and more like Gunnar level or bit better. Couple time he get caught out of position and than lost easily foot race. If he can't read the play well enough and doesn't have leg speed to cover up that he'll have problem at d-zone and its worrisome. This just means Parayko have to carry Scandella. Now we just need more sample size to him adjust his game Blues type of game. If that doesn't happend we're in trouble.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

• Justin Williams
  • Jason Pominville
  • PA Parenteau
  • Matt Stajan
  • Max Talbot
  • Mike Richards
  • Clarke MacArthur
  • Brad Richardson
  • Brandon Dubinsky
  • Matt D’Agostini
  • Claude Giroux
  • Mathieu Perrault
  • Tyler Ennis
  • Brendan Gallagher

The result of that list is that over a 14 draft sample size where the Canucks had 94 picks. So using the "pick the highest scorer" method, that article asserts that the Canucks would have picked 22 guys who played 100+ NHL games one year out from the 14 year sample size. Remove the 13 1st round picks (that are closer to reliably NHL players) and you find 15 guys out of 81 non-1st-round picks who play 100+ NHL games a year out from the sample. So this strategy has about an 18.5% success rate of finding guys who stick for more than one NHL season, but also prohibits your team from drafting any D or goalies, meaning you are going to have to trade a ton of these prospects for help at other positions. Maybe you get lucky finding a goalie for cheap or in UFA, but you aren't building even a half competent blue line via free agency. You are going to have to make 2-3 big trades to build even an adequate blue line if you aren't developing your own. Your going to have to part with about half of that group in order to get a league average D (either by selecting D at the draft in their place or trading multiple of those assets in packages for D). You aren't building any thing that resembles a good blue line unless you trade Giroux and one of Richards/Gallagher plus a few other lesser assets from that list. And now your draft return looks awful mediocre.

From 2005-2018 here is the list of Blues draft picks with 100+ NHL games played:
  • Oshie
  • Bishop
  • Reaves
  • EJ
  • Berglund
  • Eller
  • Cole
  • Perron
  • Peluso
  • Petro
  • Allen
  • Lehtera
  • Rundblad
  • Schwartz
  • Tarasenko
  • Jaskin
  • Edmundson
  • Parayko
  • Carrier
  • Fabbri
  • Barby
  • Dunn
  • Tage Thompson
  • Thomas
  • And soon to hit 100 Binner
So more players to hit the 100 game mark shortly after the end of the sample AND spread out over all the positions so you can actually build a functional NHL roster. And I'll take a "top 10" of Tarasenko, Schwartz, Oshie, Petro, EJ, Perron, Parayko, Dunn, Thomas and Bishop over the top 10 you want to build out of that article every day of the week.

You extend his methodology to include relative score-rates for other leagues, and account for games played and other relatively intuitive factors like position, and I find it hard to believe that a single person working full-time, much less a full scouting staff, couldn’t find a way to beat the odds.
That's literally what every team in the NHL does (plus in person scouting). Once you start extending the "simple" methodolgy, things get complicated and difficult. There is no data to support the idea that expanding the simple methodology will cause a team to still pick all the high scorers that pan out and only use the "other" considerations to avoid the busts.

There are some teams that have scouted/drafted/developed terribly. Vancouver was one of those for a long time. The Blues are not.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
If Scandella plays like he did last night for the rest of the season, then this trade was an absolute home run. But it is a 1 game sample size against a team that is bad offensively. We shouldn't draw too many conclusions from it.

With that said, I liked his game. His positioning was good throughout the night, he has decent offensive instincts and his decision making with the puck was good. He got himself caught in a bad spot a few times, but each time he was able to recover very well. I recall 2 separate plays where he hesitated or made a bad read and was able to chase down a forward who had a step on him to disrupt the chance.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
How is it any different than when Bouwmeester was playing? Faulk was still bad then...
Faulk is no longer the lone top 4 D-man joining a team of SC champs. He has a kindrid spirit on the team now. Has to help him mentally.

Reactions: shmotz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad