Confirmed with Link: [MTL/STL] Marco Scandella (50% retained) for 2020 2nd round pick and cond. 2021 4th round pick

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Army said at intermission that he sees Scandella as similar to JayBo. Also said “we like our 3 right D” and listed Petro, Parayko, and Faulk and said he could envision Scandella with any of them.

Reactions: AjaxManifesto

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Army said at intermission that he sees Scandella as similar to JayBo. Also said “we like our 3 right D” and listed Petro, Parayko, and Faulk and said he could envision Scandella with any of them.
Which probably means Bortz is getting back to riding the press box. Wouldn't be surprised if they put Scandella with Colt.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I’d like to see him with Scandella. He needs more defensive partner.

I could see that being a solid pairing. I thought Parayko/Pietrangelo worked pretty decently together earlier in the year too.

We’ll see what happens though, but I expect Marco to play with Colton. Berube seems to love having a shutdown pairing.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I’d like to see him with Scandella. He needs more defensive partner.
This is what I was thinking.

I don't really mind the price honestly. Granted, I like Scandella quite a lot and think he can fit in the top-4 if given the right treatment. But I think him with Faulk would benefit both. I want Faulk to start carrying the puck into the offensive zone more. I want to see more of that in general from the Blues, but more so with Faulk. Having Scandella as a solid positional player next to Faulk might allow Faulk to start playing his game more.

Last edited:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Not happy giving up a 2nd given our prospect pool needs a bit of a boost. I'd would have liked that 2nd in B. Armstrong's pocket. I was hoping we'd only do 3rd round or less depth trades. I think that is what Scandella should cost.

He is not a terrible acquisition, but we absolutely overpaid. Scandella has been good this year but he was horrendous the two years prior. I have not seen him much this year, but I really thought he was bad his other seasons in Buffalo. I am always suspicious of good stats over 50 games after bad stat over the last 150. I think we panicked a bit with JBo being hurt and we probably fixated on the guy Army really wanted to fill that role. But maybe he just is really as good as those stats suggest and will be worth it. I am keeping an open mind.

Reactions: Stealth JD

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Not happy giving up a 2nd given our prospect pool needs a bit of a boost. I'd would have liked that 2nd in B. Armstrong's pocket. I was hoping we'd only do 3rd round or less depth trades. I think that is what Scandella should cost.

He is not a terrible acquisition, but we absolutely overpaid. Scandella has been good this year but he was horrendous the two years prior. I have not seen him much this year, but I really thought he was bad his other seasons in Buffalo. I am always suspicious of good stats over 50 games after bad stat over the last 150. I think we panicked a bit with JBo being hurt and we probably fixated on the guy Army really wanted to fill that role. But maybe he just is really as good as those stats suggest and will be worth it. I am keeping an open mind.
My thinking is that he was good in Minnesota and he played well this year too in Montreal (I know he wasn't there long).

The outlier here is Buffalo. Therefore I'm inclined to just blame his struggles on that team being a tire fire.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I just read on elite prospects that Scandella's uncle is Sergio Momesso. Not sure how I feel about the trade, but at least he can join Joey Vitale, Pietrangelo and Bortuzzo in the St Louis Mafia.

Reactions: MissouriMook

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
My thinking is that he was good in Minnesota and he played well this year too in Montreal (I know he wasn't there long).

The outlier here is Buffalo. Therefore I'm inclined to just blame his struggles on that team being a tire fire.
Not to mention buffalo has made oreilly, berglund and at least one other player state they lost their love for the game in recent years

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I remember Scandella injuring Blues players when he was with Minnesota. He was rough.

Mikkola is deemed unready, it seems.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

There might lay some truth on bolded. Army has some bad habits to make hesitate moves when somebody gets hurt and if I remember correct Army did same few years back when he acquire zbynek michalek. It was almost like desperate move. Feel like this trade was too.

I hope Scandella is answer, but hate yet again say we might already had solution for Jbo's spot --> Mikkola, but he didn't get chance for it. :nopity:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
JR had good article with comments from Army. He said weren't looking for D until JayBo trade (which we basically knew). Said we like Mikkola and he is in our plans going forward but needed someone bc- and he was careful about saying this but- basically concern is nothing else after him if run of injuries. We focused on Dillon and Scandella and that we picked Scandella because our "pain threashold" was a 2nd and didn't want to add 3rd to that for Dillon. Also mentioned that Van Ryn had worked with Scandella previously so that was factor in getting comfortable.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Dunn - Pietrangelo
Scandella - Parayko
Gunnarson - Faulk

Bortuzzo / Mikkola (brought back after roster expansion)

If it's an important defensive or late game faceoff, substitute Dunn for Gunnarson or even Parayko. Not rocket science. Dunn isn't perfect defensively but neither is Faulk, and they seem very comfortable forcing him to his offside for (what seems) the sake of playing a top 4 role. Faulk has yet to show he's earned that role here in STL. Time to give Vince Dunn a shot. And I would hope contract politics isn't the playing a role in the decision making. This ain't the Cardinals.

Last edited:
Reactions: badmoth

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I can't wait until Scandella is here and playing solid D on the left side that all of you naysayers come back and say what a good move it was by Army. Watch the guy play. Don't get your scouting expertise by reading the main boards.

I am happy for the deal and glad he is here. He will be a positive addition to the club.
I don't think anyone is saying he's bad, just some think we overpaid. I don't really think we did because a late second doesn't have much value, but I can understand their viewpoint.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad