Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Mathieu Perreault signs with the Canadiens (1 year, $950k)

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Swing and a miss. Frolik was done when he was signed by Montreal, Perreault could have filled in in the top 6 this past year without looking out of place. He's still a very good player and will drive possession regardless of where he's slotted in.
I actually like Perreault. I just don't get why we infer they'll trade anyone because they signed him.

He might play, he might not.

He's one of many bottom 6 wingers on the team that will fight for a spot. That is a good thing.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah, but it's not like it's the Perreault signing that changes anything to the fact that Byron is overpaid.

In a rising cap world, and the way byron used to play, I didn't have too much of an issue at the time with his contract. I thought it was a slight overpayment, but if the habs knew a pandemic was coming, I think they play that one differently.

The other problem with Byron is that he only shows flashes of what he used to be, and I think that's in large part due to him not beibg able to stay healthy since that year where he got knocked out.

Armia has basically taken his "utility" role, and he's compensated similarly.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
... Is he still a decent PP option?
I mean.... can he play on the PP without being a total embarassement?

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
Mathieu Perreault was a popular player in Winnipeg, and a fan favourite. Always gave everything he had, and still came up with big goal on occasion.

I wish him all the luck in the world. There might not have been a place for him on the Jets anymore, but I'll miss him.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Maybe a bit of it is being French, but he does fill a need on LW if he can still play 3rd line. I think this move is more for the player than the language he speaks.

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017

You did not.

Toronto's recent signings:
- Tavares
- Simmonds
- Spezza
- Thornton
- Brodie

ALL are from Ontario. Somehow that doesn't raise a single eyebrow. But if Montreal signs a francophone? LOOK OUT! IT'S OBVIOUSLY POSITIVE DISCRIMINATION!

It couldn't be at all possible that players who grew up in Quebec would want to play for the team they grew up cheering for. No. Not possible.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
That makes sense. I remember him as a C with the ducks. I knew you guys preferred him at LW but I thought that was because lowry is the perfect 3C
A lot of it had to do with being behind Scheif, Little, Stastny, and Lowry. But another factor was his size. He just isn't big enough and strong enough to be that effective at centre. He’s very feisty, and is great on a 4th line these days with the ability to move up and down the lineup if need be.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
... Is he still a decent PP option?
I mean.... can he play on the PP without being a total embarassement?

Just my opinion, but I think he stinks on the PP. He's the type of guy that'll excel in a bottom line role, but has shown the ability to move up with injuries and not look out of place. For that cost, Montreal got a good player.

Reactions: MXD

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
You did not.

- Tavares
- Simmonds
- Spezza
- Thornton
- Brodie

ALL are from Ontario. Somehow that doesn't raise a single eyebrow. But if Montreal signs a francophone? LOOK OUT! IT'S OBVIOUSLY POSITIVE DISCRIMINATION!

It couldn't be at all possible that players who grew up in Quebec would want to play for the team they grew up cheering for. No. Not possible.

Not to mention, Mitch Marner getting a disproportionate salary considering his achievements.

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
You did not.

- Tavares
- Simmonds
- Spezza
- Thornton
- Brodie

Agreed and I did thought about the Leafs, it's like only Habs sings locals, not..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad