Proposal: MTL - BUF

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
You don't see how a 22yo pacing for 30 (almost entirely ES) goals is worth substantially more than a 23yo who hasn't even stuck in the NHL all season??

Again, I get not wanting to trade your 1st while you're rebuilding, but holy yikes is the player evaluation here off.
Maybe learn to read? I never said he was not worth more than Arber, I just said he was not worth a top 10 pick more.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

look let’s speak the truth….Arbor Xhekaj is a unicorn in todays game, he skates well, has a good first pass, has offensive upside and at just 22 years old 6’4” 240 he’s a right handed menace in the d-zone.​

However, the NHL doesn’t want the truth because deep down in places they don't talk about at parties, they want Xhekaj on that D wall, they need him on that wall.

lol, cheers

He’s left handed though. Unless you mean he plays on the right side and/or the hand he normally punches with.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022

look let’s speak the truth….Arbor Xhekaj is a unicorn in todays game, he skates well, has a good first pass, has offensive upside and at just 22 years old 6’4” 240 he’s a right handed menace in the d-zone.​

However, the NHL doesn’t want the truth because deep down in places they don't talk about at parties, they want Xhekaj on that D wall, they need him on that wall.

lol, cheers
So you are bragging he is fat? What part of this is a unicorn? Do unicorns get healthy scratched?

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
To be fair, no GM is going to trade a top ten lottery pick without protection.

Since the OP does not say "unprotected, I think we all have to assume that any trade like this would only happen after the draft lottery, or the pick would have to be protected, meaning it would most likely fall in the 5-10 range.

Reactions: Chainshot

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
You’re looking at it backwards. Arber is the throw-in here. He’s by far the least valuable piece in OP’s proposal.
so you think Paterka is worth more than a lottery pick??

You don't see how a 22yo pacing for 30 (almost entirely ES) goals is worth substantially more than a 23yo who hasn't even stuck in the NHL all season??

Again, I get not wanting to trade your 1st while you're rebuilding, but holy yikes is the player evaluation here off.
and you said Hab fans misevaluate their players......

Yikes indeed.....

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
So you are bragging he is fat? What part of this is a unicorn? Do unicorns get healthy scratched?
Okay so there’s this thing called ”waivers”. Now there’s another thing called waiver “eligibility“.
Barron & Xhekaj can be sent down and not be exposed to the waiver wire.

then there is roster maximun/minimum …. The Habs have an abundance of young D, stay with me….in order to showcase (allowing other GM’s to see players live) Harris & Struble, two young D on their roster, someone has to be sent down.

using hockey parlance a unicorn is a rare player…….Xhekaj aka “The Sheriff” is a young, physically intimidating player who rag-dolled Reaves, retired Kassian and turns Brady Thkchuk into a meek church mouse.

at 22 his future is bright

Reactions: HabsAddict

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
so you think Paterka is worth more than a lottery pick??
How often do bottom 10 teams trade unprotected 1st round picks before the draft lottery at the TDL?

It really isn't a thing, so it is safe to assume any top ten pick not specifically listed as "unprotected" is going to have protection on it. If Montreal moves their first in a deal like this, it is likely going to be in the 6-10 range.

Why this is important is because an unprotected top ten lottery pick has many times the value of a protected pick in many drafts. In this case, no one is saying Peterka is worth a top ten lottery pick. Many believe he has more value than a first round pick in the 6-10 range in this years draft.

Citing the lottery aspect to skew the value of the pick when it would never be traded unprotected is not realistic and makes debating value impossible.

Yes, I realize that we are all just talking about hypotheticals on a sports fan forum, and the irony of calling out posters to be more realistic in their fantasy trades is not lost on me, but we gotta draw the line somewhere ;)

Reactions: Chainshot

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Okay so there’s this thing called ”waivers”. Now there’s another thing called waiver “eligibility“.
Barron & Xhekaj can be sent down and not be exposed to the waiver wire.

then there is roster maximun/minimum …. The Habs have an abundance of young D, stay with me….in order to showcase (allowing other GM’s to see players live) Harris & Struble, two young D on their roster, someone has to be sent down.

using hockey parlance a unicorn is a rare player…….Xhekaj aka “The Sheriff” is a young, physically intimidating player who rag-dolled Reaves, retired Kassian and turns Brady Thkchuk into a meek church mouse.

at 22 his future is bright
No need to troll bro. You explaining waivers like you just discovered it yesterday.

No one is afraid of Xhekaj, No one cares about his nickname, he was was a healthy scratch.

You - Xhekaj is a Unicorn! He is the sheriff in Montreal

Also

You - Roster maximum bro, thats why he got scratched. He couldn't crack the top 6 but trust me bro he is good.

Look up the definition of homerism.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
No need to troll bro. You explaining waivers like you just discovered it yesterday.

No one is afraid of Xhekaj, No one cares about his nickname, he was was a healthy scratch.

You - Xhekaj is a Unicorn! He is the sheriff in Montreal

Also

You - Roster maximum bro, thats why he got scratched. He couldn't crack the top 6 but trust me bro he is good.

Look up the definition of homerism.
Glad to be of help.
Cheers

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
To put Peterka in context:
  • He is 7th in career goals and 9th in points from the 2020 draft.
  • For this season, he is 1st in goals and 5th in points.
  • For this season among all NHL U24 players he is 10th in points and 1st in goals.
There are only 5 top 10 picks from the past 6 draft years combined outproducing him right now.
He just turned 22 and in his 2nd NHL season. Those numbers say you'd be a fool not to give up a top 10 pick for him.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
  • For this season among all NHL U24 players he is 10th in points and 1st in goals.
There are only 5 top 10 picks from the past 6 draft years combined outproducing him right now.
He just turned 22 and in his 2nd NHL season. Those numbers say you'd be a fool not to give up a top 10 pick for him.

And turned around, it would be only a fool who would give that up for a magic bean.

Reactions: tsujimoto74

Bottle Rocket

Jul 23, 2023
I think Buffalo and Montreal make uneasy trade partners for good prospects as they compete for the same window at the NHL level and their farm teams are also neck and neck.

I could see minor deals such as Jost for not much, and only if Buffalo would look at it from a dollar perspective and Montreal from a warm body center 'till the end of the season.

Reactions: Rob Sense

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I think Buffalo and Montreal make uneasy trade partners for good prospects as they compete for the same window at the NHL level and their farm teams are also neck and neck.

I could see minor deals such as Jost for not much, and only if Buffalo would look at it from a dollar perspective and Montreal from a warm body center 'till the end of the season.
There is no place for Jost on the Habs. No team wants Jost.

Reactions: Eegs

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
How often do bottom 10 teams trade unprotected 1st round picks before the draft lottery at the TDL?

It really isn't a thing, so it is safe to assume any top ten pick not specifically listed as "unprotected" is going to have protection on it. If Montreal moves their first in a deal like this, it is likely going to be in the 6-10 range.

Why this is important is because an unprotected top ten lottery pick has many times the value of a protected pick in many drafts. In this case, no one is saying Peterka is worth a top ten lottery pick. Many believe he has more value than a first round pick in the 6-10 range in this years draft.

Citing the lottery aspect to skew the value of the pick when it would never be traded unprotected is not realistic and makes debating value impossible.

Yes, I realize that we are all just talking about hypotheticals on a sports fan forum, and the irony of calling out posters to be more realistic in their fantasy trades is not lost on me, but we gotta draw the line somewhere ;)
This trade would be buying very high and in a trade like that, the cost is astronomical. Unless of course there is a hidden reason or a dumb GM.

Habs need top 6 players and the only way is to draft or spend draft capital to get them. Maybe even start to think about FA that are not far off the timeline.

Regardless, this trsde is unrealistic.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
This trade would be buying very high and in a trade like that, the cost is astronomical. Unless of course there is a hidden reason or a dumb GM.

Habs need top 6 players and the only way is to draft or spend draft capital to get them. Maybe even start to think about FA that are not far off the timeline.

Regardless, this trade is unrealistic.
It is.

To your other point, there is a far better chance JJ Peterka is a "top 6 forward who meets your timeline" than some random pick in the 5-9 range.

As pointed out a few posts up, he's already showing that.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

Regardless, this trsde is unrealistic.
I was never suggesting either team should make this deal. I understand why both say no.

My main point is that posters saying it is terrible because the pick is a lottery pick to basically shut down the discussion is illogical because of course any top ten lottery pick is going to have mandatory protection on it unless otherwise stated.

OP should have said protected (or after the lottery) in the proposal though, just to avoid the unnecessary responses.

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
exactly what i see in his stats and tape. He is a bonafide top 6 player with legit first line upside!

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I was never suggesting either team should make this deal. I understand why both say no.

My main point is that posters saying it is terrible because the pick is a lottery pick to basically shut down the discussion is illogical because of course any top ten lottery pick is going to have mandatory protection on it unless otherwise stated.

OP should have said protected (or after the lottery) in the proposal though, just to avoid the unnecessary responses.
If its a top 3, last draft we would of solved our center problem instantly. This draft is defenseman heavy, which we don't need.

I don't know Paterka well enough but on paper he's the type of player the Habs need and i can see him traded in the top 5-10 range. That can only happen if the sabres think there is a better solution in that draft or have redundant players like him.

Ideally we need a team like Anaheim who already has a bunch of youngsters for centers and now they need wingers. Of course that is if they are available.

Or a team who doesn't have a NHL caliber young defenseman. We cornered the market on LHD. All look like NHL material with yet to be determined ceilings.

Trades don't happen in a vacuum.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3